How long after marriage can you become a thai citizen?

On 11/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, Sheryl said:

Don't you also have to first obtain PR? (which requires that you have worked and paid taxes here)

First off, marrying a Thai is no guarantee of Thai citizenship - ever.  Thai citizenship is awarded on the basis of a points system (like many other countries). You have to obtain a PR first. That in itself is a arduous and lengthy process. At a minimum obtaining a PR will require three years of Thai income tax filings … here is a short list of requirements for a Thai PR

• Sad 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:47 AM, problemfarang said:

If you can speak thai it is another points if you can write or read its points. if you can sing thai national anthem it is points, king royal anthem is another  pts

No "if"... you MUST demonstrate that you can speak and write Thai which is a good thing as other countries also require us Asians show a satisfactory command of their languages if we intend to apply for citizenship.

19 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

First off, marrying a Thai is no guarantee of Thai citizenship - ever.  Thai citizenship is awarded on the basis of a points system (like many other countries). You have to obtain a PR first.

Having PR to apply for Thai citizenship if married to a Thai has not been required for over a decade.

• Like 2

Get it from the horse's mouth, i.e. immigration head office in Bangkok. 

To the best of my limited knowledge (I am a PR for 30+ years) you can apply for PR (permanent residency) after three continuous years in Thailand based on either marriage and supporting minors (kids), earning taxable income or a major investment of 10 (?) million Baht. 

Another five years, after being granted PR, you may apply for citizenship. In the past a non-Thai woman married to a Thai man could jump directly, i.e. without the PR sideline - not so for a foreign husband to a Thai wife.  

I never went for a Thai citizenship as the PR gives you all the privileges except buying land and voting ..........

6 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Another five years, after being granted PR, you may apply for citizenship. In the past a non-Thai woman married to a Thai man could jump directly, i.e. without the PR sideline - not so for a foreign husband to a Thai wife.  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Having PR to apply for Thai citizenship if married to a Thai has not been required for over a decade.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You've written complete nonsense.

Foreigners married to a Thai do not need PR in order to apply for citizenship.

Having checked, you are correct, I was wrong/out of date.  How about wearing some manners and put a tiny bit of effort into stating your correction with something more polite than “You’ve written complete nonsense”.  I am sure it’s not beyond you.

19 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Having checked, you are correct, I was wrong/out of date.  How about wearing some manners and put a tiny bit of effort into stating your correction with something more polite than “You’ve written complete nonsense”.  I am sure it’s not beyond you.

You could have been polite enough to read a few of the previous posts in the thread.

Edited by BritManToo

There are many bureaucratic hurdles depending on the situation. I've been living in Thailand for 11 years, first married with non-O without working, then working while married, but I had to leave Thailand for four days to switch to non-B because the BOI could not provide documents, so It reset the clock to zero, even I got no interruption in the monthly salary. That means from the immigration point of view, I have only stayed in Thailand for 3 years so far. Since I'm not married anymore, I've planned to go via the permanent residency first. I have a master degree, a 100k+ salary, I can speak and read Thai (primary school level P5), no criminal record, and made yearly charitable donations since I've started to work. But when I went to Bangkok immigration, I was told I would not get enough points because I did not pay enough taxes, and I'd better try again when I've spent five years continuously on my non-B in Thailand.  The reason I did not pay enough tax is because I invested into the RMF and SSF investment plans, and took the full 500K tax deductions. So the system punishes people who invest in Thailand... But that's what it is. The point system for PR is confidential, so the helpful lady at immigration could not reveal the details, and recommended me to get married, and even better if I have my own kid to get Thai nationality within one year. Your wife's kid(s) do(es) not count, as there's a DNA test.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mvdf said:

No "if"... you MUST demonstrate that you can speak and write Thai which is a good thing as other countries also require us Asians show a satisfactory command of their languages if we intend to apply for citizenship.

No there is no 'must' as i know, i might be wrong. But it has point section for thai speaking/understanding and another point section for read / write thai. So this makes me believe that it is not a MUST to speak or read or write. Thats why they have individual scores. At least thats what im thinking. Although as you mentioned im also pretty sure that they would like to see at least something basic which makes sense because you want to be a thai! My friend took this test and he told me some people interviewed with him and they basically asked him to introduce himself. He did it nicely, then they ask 1 or 2 questions and they just told him ok thats it in 5 min right after they understood he can answer all 2-3 questions without any problems and fluently in thai. But he cannot read or write, they told him its not that important but they cannot give him some score from that. Anyway he passed with 75 if i remember correctly. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, urthebozo said:

I'm actually not in thailand at the moment but considering getting married there and starting a business there. Probably on the futurewife's name and i'd just work there(i'm assuming this would cover the working and paying taxes requirements, correct?).

How long have you stayed in Thailand before ? It's seems that you need to do a lot of homework ???? before opening a business in Thailand ,buddy.

If you don't mind , In what kind of business are you interested ?

As the Farangs told me one time, don't invest money that you are not ready to lose (this is generally for the foreigners in Thailand )

However, I wish you luck on your adventures 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 3:47 PM, Sheryl said:

Not exactly.

Would have to first pass an exam (in Thai language) and get a Thai medical license . A foreign medical degree and license do not authorize you to practice in Thailand.

Very, very few (but some) foreign doctors have succeeded in doing this.

I know someone who paid 1.5 million baht to get one of these, couldn't speak a word of Thai. 

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are many reasons why somebody would want it.

No need to do anything at immigration ever again. Can purchase property. No need for a work permit to work and it can be any job. And various others.

Just not having to deal with immigration is worth it! 

I really can't understand why someone would ask why someone living here for a long time would want it, there are countless advantages. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SymS said:

The point system for PR is confidential, so the helpful lady at immigration could not reveal the details, and recommended me to get married, and even better if I have my own kid to get Thai nationality within one year.

This is incorrect immigration, apart from the fact that if you get married, it would be easier, but you would not have to deal with immigration, instead the Special Branch police/Ministry of Interior.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:12 AM, it is what it is said:

you can find foreign doctors quite easily, i've been treated by several american doctors at the adventist mission hospital in bangkok

Correct!  A number of years ago I went to Mission Hospital where I had been going for years and the Dr. that saw me that day was an American.  We talked a bit and he said that to medicine is not a closed profession to foreigners.  However, you have to pass the medical exam and the exam is only given in the Thai language.  

On 11/30/2021 at 11:03 PM, DrJoy said:

Answer to your Ques-

Need to be married for 3yrs if no kids, 1 yr if have a kid.

Are you sure about that? 1 yr if have a thai child. Ive never heard of that rule. 

Does anyone else know if thats correct?

On 12/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, chilli42 said:

You have to obtain a PR first.

You dont know the rules. This is incorrect. If you are married to a thai lady and earn in exces of 40k PCM then after 3 yrs you can apply for citizenship and not PR

3 hours ago, jack71 said:

Are you sure about that? 1 yr if have a thai child. Ive never heard of that rule. 

Yes its correct. 
But u will still need 3 yrs of PND 91, min salary of THB 40K, 3 yrs of WP, minimum bal of THB 80,000/- in your Thai account 

4 hours ago, jack71 said:

Many get confused by this rule. Let me give you an example-

Scenario 1:

You arrived in Thailand say Jan 2010, on a NON B and started working and paying taxes immediately (Sal 40K)

You have a Thai gf and you marry her as soon as you arrive. You dont have kids. In this case u will need PND 91 for 2010, 2011, 2012 and you may apply as soon as your marriage is seasoned for 3 yrs.

Scenario 2:

Say you were already working in Thailand for many years, paying your taxes honestly. Producing PND 91 is no problem to you. You already have a baby with your Thai gf but not Legally married.

In this case you will be able to submit your Thai citiz application just after 1 year (Legal marriage anywhere in the world)

Non negotiable items for Thai citizenship -

1. 3 yrs of un broken WP (Sal 40k thb monthly)

2. 3 consecutive yrs of Non B or Non O (marriage) 

3. THB 80,000/- deposited in a Thai Bank. 

Edited by DrJoy

27 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

1. 3 yrs of un broken WP (Sal 40k thb monthly)

2. 3 consecutive yrs of Non B or Non O (marriage) 

3. THB 80,000/- deposited in a Thai Bank. 

I'm curious now, why do so many people make it out to be basically impossible to get citizenship? Those are pretty low minimums for a normal person who was trying to living in Thailand.

Are there any quotas per year which they can't exceed thus making the wait times like 10-20 years? If that was the case then indeed most people would just not bother.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm curious now, why do so many people make it out to be basically impossible to get citizenship? Those are pretty low minimums for a normal person who was trying to living in Thailand.

Are there any quotas per year which they can't exceed thus making the wait times like 10-20 years? If that was the case then indeed most people would just not bother.

Yes its quite easy to apply for Thai Cit.

There is no quota.

Currently, it takes 3 yrs to get Thai cit. This is from the date you apply at Special Branch Police ( They are not immigration) to the date you get your Thai national ID card.

• Like 1