(Transfer) WISE problems....

I just went in to transfer money using Wise....US to TH....

They have added a new step....Prior to the US bank (BofA) releasing funds, they send a one time use code that needs to be input to finalize for payment....

The phone number they used is an old prepaid US number from one of our trips back....

I went to the BofA website to change the phone number to my Thai number = international numbers are not accepted....

Even though my instructions on the account are email contact only there was no email sent....I also cannot update any information to BofA because they now send out the one time approval code - to the same useless number....

Has anybody else run into this problem? 

If so, how have you overcome it....?

Apparently I need to get a US number that can take text/sms messages for only this purpose?

Does anybody have an workable solution?

Screenshot_2021-12-01-07-55-46-20_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by pgrahmm

Don't use a credit card.  Do a manual bank transfer (online).  It is also more expensive than using debit or credit cards.  Your bank will charge you for using these methods, as opposed to transferring money to wise by the manual method online banking transfer.

The only time I receive an OTP is when I log onto my computer to use wise, as opposed to my usual method of using my phone.

Nb:  it is standard practice for credit card companies to sometimes send the cc holder an OTP to verify the payment.

Edited by Raindancer
  • Like 2

I only use Bank to Wise, and then Wise to Bank transfers

If your bank are insisting on a US number you may have to keep one valid for that purpose only, or consider using an email as an OTP, ask your bank this question tell them sometimes you’re out of the country and cannot access your US number ask about using an email instead for the OTP

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Correction:  it is also more expensive when using debit or credit cards, than the banking  online transfer system.

Wise cost about $27.00 - direct banking app bank to bank transfer $90.00....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Wise cost about $27.00 - direct banking app bank to bank transfer $90.00....

Don't know where you get those figures from.  And it all depends on the amount you are sending.

If I send £1000 to my Thai bank through wise, using online banking to send money from my UK bank to wise, it costs me around £5.00 by wise to move the money to Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Don't know where you get those figures from.  And it all depends on the amount you are sending.

If I send £1000 to my Thai bank through wise, using online banking to send money from my UK bank to wise, it costs me around £5.00 by wise to move the money to Thailand.

That's for $1500 US... Direct transfer BofA to BKK....

Wise rate for the same transfer is about $27 through the Wise app....

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I bought a Skype phone number. Its local US and rings on both my phone here in Thailand and my computer. I also use the number to call my bank and friends. cost about $35 a year US

Does texting/sms - them to you work? For the OTC?

Sounds to me like this may be a case of sour grapes on BOFA's part. In other words they could be feeling a tad miffed that the OP is choosing Wise over their more expensive SWIFT service - to the detriment of their and their SWIFT Thai partner bank's balance sheets, of course!????????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Does texting/sms - them to you work? For the OTC?

Just to add my 2 cents.  I use my Thai phone number and it works every time. Not disputing other comments on here, but don't understand why some people are using phone numbers from their home country. 

Perhaps they might be able to go into settings and profile, and change phone numbers.

16 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

That's for $1500 US... Direct transfer BofA to BKK....

Wise rate for the same transfer is about $27 through the Wise app....

It was $12.48 for my ACH pull by Wise from USAA for $1,500 at 0840 today and received 50,099.67 baht as international transfer at 1404.

The USD to THB rate was 33.68. The Wise fee was 12.48 USD.

6 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I bought a Skype phone number. Its local US and rings on both my phone here in Thailand and my computer. I also use the number to call my bank and friends. cost about $35 a year US

you can buy US numbers for as low as $1 per month, and for an extra $1 get SMS capabilities, with SMS to email

• Thanks 1

Just to add my 2 cents.  I use my Thai phone number and it works every time. Not disputing other comments on here, but don't understand why some people are using phone numbers from their home country. 

Perhaps they might be able to go into settings and profile, and change phone numbers.

It's ok on the Wise site/app....The BofA side sends out the one time code BUT only will use a US phone number....In trying to enter a Thai number there's not enough room/digits for input....

31 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

you can buy US numbers for as low as $1 per month, and for an extra $1 get SMS capabilities, with SMS to email

Thanks, any way you can direct me to one that works?

The one's I checked so far are set up for businesses/office/sales & I don't see any SMS option....

BofA requires it - Wise is ok....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Thanks, any way you can direct me to one that works?

The one's I checked so far are set up for businesses/office/sales & I don't see any SMS option....

try Callcentric, very cheap, it's a VOIP system you can setup on your mobile. A bit technical to setup, but great system.

they have "DIRT CHEAP" numbers you can choose in your state, but might be running out of numbers soon

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

It's ok on the Wise site/app....The BofA side sends out the one time code BUT only will use a US phone number....In trying to enter a Thai number there's not enough room/digits for input....

Thanks for that. Always good to learn new info.

9 hours ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

I keep a UK mobile phone for that very reason for any OTP codes that are being sent/required occasionally. My UK bank also requires them for any UK account payment changes on an irregular basis.

You will also find that Wise will on occasions requires OTP to re-verify your account. Email alone wont cut it.

Anyway, this phone account is pretty cheap as is and saves me a lot of grieve.

OTP from UK Bank to UK number in Thailand doesn't work on True

I experienced as well a difference.

I use the monthly transfer mode.

I send money on the last day of the months and it arrives on my Thai account on the first of the next month (if not a weekend).

Tuesday I did my transfer as usual and expecting to get the money on 01st December but it kicked my account a few hours later.

For immigration, that's not good as they will say I got money on the 1st and 30th of november.

I did another transfer on the 01st of december but this time I got a message that the money would be available on the 03rd.

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

For immigration, that's not good as they will say I got money on the 1st and 30th of november.

Yes indeed, thats why i never do any transfer that is for my monthly income retirement extension until at the earliest the 1st of any given month.

Its high time that immigration allowed transfers at any time as long as you transfer 12 amounts of a minimum 65K for RE's per year.

But of course that would require some thinking on behalf of IO's lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and did it state FTT (international transfer) ?

I deal with UOB

On Wise it says:

Paid out from: Transferwise on behalf of .... (Me)...

Delivered bank transfer: local bank transfer

Banking partner: Dee Money

I always tick the box which says: Long term stay....

Seems to me that all the issues people complain about with Wise or with bank transfers generally are basically country-centric, namely UK & Usofa, with particualr rules or practices in those countries.

For me transferring funds from Oz I've never had any difficulty with T/Wise: whether re tagging/FTT once it got under way, or now the new use of OTP. Wise and my 2 Oz banks (NAB & Citi) all use my Thai phone number for OTP without difficulty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I deal with UOB

On Wise it says:

Paid out from: Transferwise on behalf of .... (Me)...

Delivered bank transfer: local bank transfer

Banking partner: Dee Money

I always tick the box which says: Long term stay....

Did it really say that?  Transferwise ceased being the name long ago.  It is Wise now.  Did someone really use "Transferwise" as the name in a receipt?