Omicron Triggers ‘Unprecedented’ COVID Surge Hitting Children Under Age 5 in South Africa

placeholder

Yes, it's been quite apparent for many months that vaccinations are the answer.  However, it will be many months before very young children (under 5) get vaccinated, even in countries like the UK/US and Europe.  Hopefully they will continue to be only very mildly affected by Covid, and build up natural antibodies after they get it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

The under 5 age group should be reasonably easy to protect if the vast majority of adults around them are vaccinated.   The under 5's are less likely to be in large gatherings and other than daycare centers and nursery/kindergarten classes, their interaction is largely with adults.  

Daycare centers, nursery and kindergarten classes are usually smaller in size.   That said, in my experience at schools, they are little petri dishes.  Things get played with, put on the floor and then in their mouths.  I don't know what could be so fascinating up their nose, but their fingers are constantly there.  

There really isn't a rational reason (except for medical exceptions) not to vaccinate young children  since the risk of becoming ill with covid, while small, is still greater than the risks posed by vaccination.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

They do not have even Emergency Use Authorization for children under 5.

Right. I forgot about that. But I imagine this information, if borne out elsewhere,  is going to hasten the day when the under 5's do get vaccinated for covid. Unless, of course, trials show that the vaccine is more harmful than the disease. But, given past form, that seems highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Among the very many callous lines of argument offered up by anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers has been the observation that this wretched disease has this far predominantly been a threat to the old and people suffering existing long term health challenges (and therefore nothing for the rest of us to worry aboit).

The advent of a strain that is showing signs of making large numbers infants ill is going to have profound impacts on public perceptions of this disease and, if infants are indeed made ill in large numbers this will also have political implications wrt to tolerance of anti-vaccine views and adherence.

Infants getting sick is a game changer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

To all the posters above: did you all read through the entire article? Apart from the very worrying first paragraph:

The “highly transmissible” Omicron variant of coronavirus ripping through South Africa is putting disproportionately large numbers of children under 5 years old in hospitals, a top South African government medical adviser said Friday.

If you all read through the entirety of the Daily Beast article, did anything jump out at you that seemed a little off? I guess most people are asleep by now, so I'll wait for responses to come in tomorrow morning before sharing my thoughts.

*And in case you're wondering, yes I am concerned, just probably much-less-so than many of you.

Edited by Atlantis
mistype
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Atlantis said:

To all the posters above: did you all read through the entire article? Apart from the very worrying first paragraph:

The “highly transmissible” Omicron variant of coronavirus ripping through South Africa is putting disproportionately large numbers of children under 5 years old in hospitals, a top South African government medical adviser said Friday.

If you all read through the entirety of the Daily Beast article, did anything jump out at you that seemed a little off? I guess most people are asleep by now, so I'll wait for responses to come in tomorrow morning before sharing my thoughts.

*And in case you're wondering, yes I am concerned, just probably much-less-so than many of you.

Still waiting for you to show where I've posted misinformation.  Or was that just a personal attack at me?  If so, you can apologize at any time.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes there is.  A link was given earlier to prove this.

I'm not sure that's "proof"!  Better to wait and see what happens when it's spread further than Africa.  If there is global evidence of it seriously affecting the under-5s it will be big news, and not just something for the Daily Beast!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure that's "proof"!  Better to wait and see what happens when it's spread further than Africa.  If there is global evidence of it seriously affecting the under-5s it will be big news, and not just something for the Daily Beast!

One of many articles on this.  DB was just the first to break the news, as they typically do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atlantis said:

@Jeffr2

This is for everyone, but especially for you. You'll love it. It's quite beautiful really.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-beast/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news

Well aware of it.  Glad you understand this.  The report from the Daily Beast is followed up by graphs produced by the Financial Times.  Hope that publication is good enough for you.