Retirement extension; money in the bank for how long time?

On the website immigration.go.th it says two months only the first time you apply and after that three months before you apply. The police order No. 35/2561 from January 2019 (on this site under "Laws, regulations Police Orders") says only two months, (and three months after) nothing else. Is the police order old or is it "valid" now?

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The immigration website has not been updated for a long time.

It is 800k baht 2 months before for every extension and then for 3 months and  and 400k baht after that.

According to the IO in Khon Kaen Immigration, who I spoke to on Tuesday last, its a straight two months every time,  Different Province  different rules, although I believe Jomtienis the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

According to the IO in Khon Kaen Immigration, who I spoke to on Tuesday last, its a straight two months every time,  Different Province  different rules, although I believe Jomtienis the same.

You misrad what I wrote. The 3 months is after you apply for the extension. The 2 months before is correct.

Beware you have the paperwork showing the 800k have been on your account for all that time. I found myself having to shell out extra money to the agency facilitating my extension because I had not been in Thailand in the few months before my extension renewal. Consequently, my savings book didn't show any updates during the run-up months. My mistake for not paying the bank to issue me with a statement of account covering the last 3 months, instead of just a letter stating the account balance on the day I applied for renewal. This was all the more annoying since my account had not dropped under 1.3 million for over 8 months. 

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Beware you have the paperwork showing the 800k have been on your account for all that time. I found myself having to shell out extra money to the agency facilitating my extension because I had not been in Thailand in the few months before my extension renewal. Consequently, my savings book didn't show any updates during the run-up months. My mistake for not paying the bank to issue me with a statement of account covering the last 3 months, instead of just a letter stating the account balance on the day I applied for renewal. This was all the more annoying since my account had not dropped under 1.3 million for over 8 months. 

Don't follow much of your post.

Perhaps your immigration office may have some strange requirements.

I use two dedicated accounts (same bank) one is FD a/v and the other savings a/c. 

I don't touch either account for the year. 

Using money in bank method bank statements should not be required. Just bank letter on the day along with activity that also shows update.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't follow much of your post.

Perhaps your immigration office may have some strange requirements.

I use two dedicated accounts (same bank) one is FD a/v and the other savings a/c. 

I don't touch either account for the year. 

Using money in bank method bank statements should not be required. Just bank letter on the day along with activity that also shows update.

My savings book showed 550k eight months back, then 1.3 million on the day I applied. It didn't show I'd had well over 800k on the account for more than 3 months.

4 minutes ago, JackGats said:

My savings book showed 550k eight months back, then 1.3 million on the day I applied. It didn't show I'd had well over 800k on the account for more than 3 months.

So how did the money hop into the account. If deposited or transfered the bankbook will show that and date when updated. 

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So how did the money hop into the account. If deposited or transfered the bankbook will show that and date when updated. 

Transfers from abroad and from my broker's account. I did one update (not at the Bangkok Bank office where I have my account) and it just "updated" all at one go, without showing intermediate stages.

28 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Transfers from abroad and from my broker's account. I did one update (not at the Bangkok Bank office where I have my account) and it just "updated" all at one go, without showing intermediate stages.

If you're not there to update your passbook every month or six weeks, it may miss some entries, so as you say, the alternative is to get a statement.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The immigration website has not been updated for a long time.

It is 800k baht 2 months before for every extension and then for 3 months and  and 400k baht after that.

But how long does it need to be in the bank at the time of the initial Non-O application (not the extension, the starting Non-O, applied for from within Thailand). Here is what a Hua Hin visa agent (a prominent one, I think) just told me, and I don't know whether he's wrong or right:

As a first time applicant the funds need to be in a local Thai bank account for 3 months not 2 months. Two months only applies when you are extending your non O visa. 

The problem is, several sources have told me that the money only needs to have been in the account for two months at the time of the initial Non-O application. This is a very critical point for me. My plan doesn't work if it is actually three months and not two. I can't plan my strategy because I can't nail down this point with any certainty.

Every time I think I've pinned down what the truth is on that question, someone will tell me something different. And I can't get the facts out of the Los Angeles Consulate website, or anywhere else official. This is a critical question for my own attempt at getting ready for relocation. If this agent is right, and the 800K has to season for three months and not two before the initial application for the Non-O (not the extension, the initial Non-O), then I can't use my plan to go there on a 60-day tourist visa and then extend that for 30 days, and then apply for the Non-O (and then, subsequently, the extenion based on retirement). I wouldn't be able to have the money in the bank for three months before my tourist visa extension would run out. But if the reality is that it's really two months, not three, then I guess I would have time to get a bank account and get the money in there (let's not forget that wire transfers take days).

Can anyone help me? I'm getting very frustrated. I'm perfectly willing to pay someone for consultation, but with all the conflicting info flying around, how do I ever know that any given person really knows what they're talking about? Before paying a consultant I would need to be confident that actually have a grip on what the facts are. How can I know that from here in the US? I try to post on Thai Visa Advice FB group, and they stop my posts from going up, I guess because they're fatigued from answering the same questions over and over. But when I try to ask agents, they give me differing answers. The one I mentioned above quoted me a price of 45,000 baht (!?!) for getting my visas and bank account sorted out. Several people have told me that is an outrageous price, that he was trying to fleece me. 

My two biggest issues seem to be:

1. I can't get any reliable information about whether the 800K in a Thai bank account needs to have "seasoned" for two months or three at the time of my first application for a Non-O (applying in Thailand), apparently a make-or-break issue of calendar timing;

2. I can't get any reliable information regarding opening a bank account quickly upon arrival—whether I can do it alone (I keep reading that clueless bank tellers and branch managers will only keep asking me for a work permit, which I obviously wouldn't have since I'd be on a path to a retirement stay) or whether I would need the help of an attorney or agent, either of which I'd be more than happy to pay for if the fee were reasonable.

Edited by PadPrikKhing

2 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

1. I can't get any reliable information about whether the 800K in a Thai bank account needs to have "seasoned" for two months or three at the time of my first application for a Non-O (applying in Thailand), apparently a make-or-break issue of calendar timing

To obtain a non O at Thai immigration the 800k must be in Thai bank account in your name only ON DAY OF APPLICATION.

You will need to show those funds came from abroad.

Your question about opening a bank account is important. 

It is possible to open one however involves bit of leg work and chasing up few things. A good alternative when time is important is to use an agent. Plenty available that can assist. That's is a minimal cost. 

You do not need an agent to obtain a non O and few months later when money has been in the bank account for 2 months you can obtain an extension.

The whole process is not difficult.

The agent price mentioned is a nonsense.

Even if you did not have the 800k for the bank an agent would do the whole process for under 30k.

As stated do it yourself without agent.

If you want agent just to assist with organizing paperwork etc that would be under 10k however not required. 

BTW , if you know where your going to live ongoing then good idea to obtain the non O and extension there.

3 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

But how long does it need to be in the bank at the time of the initial Non-O application (not the extension, the starting Non-O, applied for from within Thailand). Here is what a Hua Hin visa agent (a prominent one, I think) just told me, and I don't know whether he's wrong or right:

To apply for the non-o visa the 8010k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

The requirements are here for the non-o visa application. 

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

Then for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement it has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

See this immigration order for the extension. Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22 

The agent is completely wrong or is just trying to get your business.

• Like 2

Just to pile-on to DrJack54 and ubonjoe said about the 800K requirement when going from an Exempt to Non-O, there is no seasoning requirement....it just has to be in the bank on the day of application.  At the bottom is a partial quote from immigration website guidance in going from an Exempt to Non O Retirement at immigration.  Use a TM87 form.  

Basically, you get a letter (step 5.1 below) from the Thai bank saying you really do have an account....it's a simple/short letter....just ask for a visa/visa extension letter....the bank will know what is needed....takes a few minutes to generate....will cost Bt100 to Bt200.   The bank will also update your passbook to today's date before doing the letter and may ask you to deposit or withdraw Bt100 to allow that update. 

Now after the Non-O is issued which is good for 90 days, when you come back after two months to do a 1 year "extension of stay" of that Non O then there is a 800K "seasoning requirement of 2 months."

5.  5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention:
     Immigration Commissioner)*
     5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant
     has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000* (all
     documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
     5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
     *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the
     same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s
     name.)

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

The bank will also update your passbook to today's date before doing the letter and may ask you to deposit or withdraw Bt100 to allow that update

@PadPrikKhing 

Take note of what Pib outlined.

Some offices (CW being notable one) want to see activity on day of application. That means small deposit/withdrawal. So when with bank person you explain "deposit 100baht and then provide bank letter". Small tip, ask clerk to photocopy this last page of your bb showing the balance and of course will show the deposit on day.

My bank Kasikorn charges 100 for that letter as many do.

If you intend to obtain your non O at CW be aware the banks are located on lower level. (SCB does not have a branch there) 

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

With online 90 day reporting how does that work? How does one prove the money is in situ?

The every 90 day address reporting requirement (TM47) has nothing to do with meeting visa/extension of stay income requirements. 

Yes some immigration offices require a person to physically come back to the immigration office after the first 90 days of a 1 year extension to prove the person still has the required deposit but that has nothing to do with the every 90 days address reporting requirement whether you report online, by mail, or in person.  For address reporting visa/extension of stay income requirements is of no concern, not addressed.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

With online 90 day reporting how does that work? How does one prove the money is in situ?

Perhaps I misunderstand.

If your referring to maintaining the 800k for 3 months post extension, the 90 day report has nothing to do with this. Immigration will check bankbook at next extension.

I'm guessing you deal with Jomtien. 

Edit: ha, snap with Pib

Edited by DrJack54