SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?

Scott

SURVEY: Omicron--Dangerous, Worrisome or Overblown?  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is no indication that the boosters would cause Antibody-dependent Enhancement (ADE).  Vaccines that do so do not make through Phase III clinical trials.  

As noted by another member, the booster is the same shot as the vaccine.  

Neither COVID-19 disease nor the new COVID-19 vaccines have shown evidence of causing ADE. People infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, have not been likely to develop ADE upon repeat exposure. This is true of other coronaviruses as well. Likewise, studies of vaccines in the laboratory with animals or in the clinical trials in people have not found evidence of ADE.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-safety/antibody-dependent-enhancement-and-vaccines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This study/trial assesses how well boosters may work with Astrazeneca wrt immunogencity (Immune response) and assess any immediate adverse reactions such as fever, pain, itch, fatigue, chills, muscle ache etc, see Figure 2.,

"Between June 1 and June 30, 2021, 33498 people were screened"

THIS IS A Clinical Trial (>43,000 participants), completion; MAY 2023

:https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT04368728

and here (same CT #C4591001):

https://cdn.pfizer.com/pfizercom/2020-11/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol_Nov2020.pdf

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In these uncertain times not only here in Thailand but the rest of the world, a little good news for once if it holds true for Omicron. Vaccines work!!

"Just published @ScienceTM This is great news on the Beta variant (with a lot of immune evasion vs our antibodies): Preservation of the T cell response. Let's hope it's the same for Omicron (likely), protecting well vs severe illness"

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abj6824

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

The new omicron variant could increase the likelihood that people will need a fourth coronavirus vaccine dose earlier than expected, executives at pharmaceutical giant Pfizer said Wednesday. 

So, according to Pfizer, the question is not, if further "boosters" will become necessairy, but when that will be.

Albert Bourla, Pfizer’s chief executive, had projected that a fourth dose might be needed 12 months after a third shot. But he said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that the timeline might need to be moved up.

One of the company’s top scientists recently said a fourth shot — possibly one targeting omicron — is likely to be necessary.

source: The Washington Post, Dec.09/2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/09/covid-omicron-variant-live-updates/

According to some people here, Bourla must be a troll and the Washington Post is likely to provide fake news.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, i84teen said:

"Yes, it seems so, as is BioNTech's CEO.

"COVID-19 vaccines will not be enough to withstand the Omicron variant, warned the CEO of BioNTech, the German company behind the mRNA vaccine produced with Pfizer."

From the article you have linked:

“It is obvious we are far from 95 per cent effectiveness that we obtained against the initial virus," Ugur Sahin told the French daily Le Monde in an interview published on Monday.”

I don’t know about you but I took my Pfizer vaccination to guard against that initial virus, I suspect every expat in Thailand who had the Pfizer jab did likewise  - 95% effectiveness  CV confirms why that was a good decision.

“The latest research from South Africa, where Omicron was first reported, suggested that two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine offered 70 per cent effectiveness in reducing the risk of hospitalisation.”

Well I’m happy with that as a bonus given the shots I had already did their job with the virus for which I took them.

“The German company is already designing a coronavirus vaccine adapted to the new variant, using Omicron’s spike protein and its 32 mutations as an antigen. Sahin announced this should be ready by March.”

More good news. I’ll get the new vaccine when it’s made available.

Thanks for posting your linked article.

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Moderna said early lab trials show its booster can raise antibody levels 37 fold and "should provide good protection against the omicron variant," Stephen Hoge, Moderna's president,

Should? And I "should" believe Mr Moderna,,,,LoL. They have been saying that since vaccine inception but,;

hundreds of 100,000's of people vaccinated are infected with delta, omicron, alpha, etc after 1, 2 3, 4 doses of mRNA and other vaccines.

These vaccines do nothing to prevent infection from covid variants, especially omicron now. Everybody, you me, them everybody, even your pet lion (if you have one) will get this damn omicron if it's so much more contagious than previous variants. The vaccines ARE NOT STOPPING INFECTION....!

Where is your proof it does? Well, we both know there is none.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You don't worry about a virus that has killed 5 million people. 

How many times are you going to trot out this tired line?

To (misquote) Stalin…

"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic." – Josef Stalin

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, i84teen said:

How's worry gonna solve anything and quite frankly I worry more about safety now due to open borders, crime and things like the economy and if my dog craps under the pool table. The virus can and does kill, albeit less than 2% of those infected and whom are likely sick with other illness in addition. You see how many people are dying from fentanyl now! It's the leading killer of 19-44 year olds, kills more than covid. Are you crusading for that cause?  I am good to go virus wise. You on the other hand have different threat model and risk assessment and that's your business.

You clearly have some concerns, because you are posting on a Covid topic. I suspect you don't post on a Fentanyl forum.

Having said that, when it comes to Covid, you spend your time dreaming up issues with the vaccines, and nearly zero about how to stop the spread of the virus. That's kind of weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

dreaming up issues with the vaccines

Dreams, LOL...I am dreaming when I whisper sweet covid nothings.

Seems to aggravate you when I say something and do my level best to corroborate it, especially when you can't argue or deny the facts as truth. I have a problem with people who cannot accept my "dreams" that are backed up with the truth and show to be evidenced by various web based fact checks and documented by reputable sources.

Final comment:

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

nearly zero about how to stop the spread of the virus

What exactly have you done "about how to stop the spread of the virus", anything ....and compare it to what you know about me, and what I did or didn't do to "stop the spread..."  just don't make it up, just facts, what you know and can prove. If anything I have vastly exceeded your glaring shortsightedness by your constant jumping up and down screaming and bashing EVERYONE who doesn't agree with your vaccine comments. I don't have solution but I look beyond these low VE "vaccines" that don't prevent the spread, and I talk about therapeutics, alternate treatments, new 2nd GEN vaccines, all reality based, perhaps a viable and valuable addition to hopefully more effective vaccines. What have u offered?

If by NOT agreeing with you and others here on the forum is not helping to stop the virus then you need to have a serious coming to reality moment.

• Confused 1

Some posts with unsubstantiated claims have been removed:

2) You will not use ASEANNOW.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Some posts with doctored/misleading links have been removed:

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed. No shortened version urls or affiliate links permitted.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, i84teen said:

Dreams, LOL...I am dreaming when I whisper sweet covid nothings.

Seems to aggravate you when I say something and do my level best to corroborate it, especially when you can't argue or deny the facts as truth. I have a problem with people who cannot accept my "dreams" that are backed up with the truth and show to be evidenced by various web based fact checks and documented by reputable sources.

Final comment:

What exactly have you done "about how to stop the spread of the virus", anything ....and compare it to what you know about me, and what I did or didn't do to "stop the spread..."  just don't make it up, just facts, what you know and can prove. If anything I have vastly exceeded your glaring shortsightedness by your constant jumping up and down screaming and bashing EVERYONE who doesn't agree with your vaccine comments. I don't have solution but I look beyond these low VE "vaccines" that don't prevent the spread, and I talk about therapeutics, alternate treatments, new 2nd GEN vaccines, all reality based, perhaps a viable and valuable addition to hopefully more effective vaccines. What have u offered?

If by NOT agreeing with you and others here on the forum is not helping to stop the virus then you need to have a serious coming to reality moment.

The scientific  community has determined that vaccines are safe. You disagree. 

In my opinion, you are wrong to try to convince people to risk death by not vaccinating. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The scientific  community has determined that vaccines are safe. You disagree. 

In my opinion, you are wrong to try to convince people to risk death by not vaccinating. 

It is also against the forum rules.  Posts discouraging people from getting vaccinated violate the specific rules concerning Covid posting.  This rule is in accordance with the Royal Thai Government's Emergency Decree:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON ASEAN NOW AMID COVID-19 

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the ASEAN NOW forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the follow:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1173170-updated-notice-to-members-posting-on-asean-now-amid-covid-19/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

try to convince people to risk death by not vaccinating. 

Whoa, those are your deluded words, NOT MINE and a serious accusation and likely against the forum rules noted above. I defy you to show proof af that false accusation or take it down.

6 hours ago, i84teen said:

nearly zero about how to stop the spread of the virus

As well, you attempted to challenge me with the above quote which I responded to with an explanation but you failed to follow up when I queried you, again you deflect, fail to provide facts relevant to the veracity of my claims and resort instead to this deflection and obfuscating and then outright misstating what I said here on the forum. You should stop making up false postings and claims here, what remains of any reputation you may have had is in the toilet now and about to get flushed.

You are out of line.

Edited by i84teen
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What else would they say, when they work for the company that stands to make billions of $ from boosters?

Anyone think they'd say "no need to have boosters"?

It's a pity that there isn't strict oversight by many government agencies around the world and stringent requirements for the vaccine manufacturers to investigate their claims...oh wait a minute...