Business operators rejoice after alcohol sales and drinks are allowed in qualified restaurants in Pattaya, what is the next step?

Jonathan Fairfield

On 12/5/2021 at 8:53 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

To allow the extortion

Yes - for sure that is where the effective lobbying came from!

The distribution chain for the take from "informal taxation" on Pattaya's nightlife extends rather a long way up...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

I have a friend who has been through the SHA certification and described it as a nightmare. But now his bar/restaurant (its a double front with one half being tables and chairs, and the other half clearly a bar, and guess which side has people in it at night?) can openly sell alcohol while the small bar next door cannot. Can someone explain how this is a Covid measure?

On 12/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, hotchilli said:

Then why are the Pattaya restaurants always harping on about drinking?

Money maker.

What's the difference between a bar and a restaurant?  Is it the percentage of food and the percentage of total sales of alcohol? The bars could sell food.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Some of us don't have to imbibe alcohol to enjoy food.

Nobody 'has to' but it is a matter of choice for we who have more sophisticated palates and wish to explore the ancient relationship between imbibing wine and consuming food. The relationship between alcohol and food has existed for thousands of years predating the creation of sugary, fizzy carbonated children's drinks. Of course the dog whistle ' Some of us don't have to imbibe alcohol to enjoy food' is a sad attempt at moral superiority or perhaps a sad lament of the self admitted alcoholic trying to persuade himself and others that Pepsi is the same as Ale and Fanta is like a good red wine..lol

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 3:32 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes  Enjoy your Michelin quality food with a Pepsi!

No, I don't drink Pepsi, but the best the world has to offer with a good meal: a glass of clean, clear ice cold water. Anything else spoils the taste of the food.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nobody 'has to' but it is a matter of choice for we who have more sophisticated palates and wish to explore the ancient relationship between imbibing wine and consuming food. The relationship between alcohol and food has existed for thousands of years predating the creation of sugary, fizzy carbonated children's drinks. Of course the dog whistle ' Some of us don't have to imbibe alcohol to enjoy food' is a sad attempt at moral superiority or perhaps a sad lament of the self admitted alcoholic trying to persuade himself and others that Pepsi is the same as Ale and Fanta is like a good red wine..lol

LOL. People drink alcohol to alter their mental status, and sometimes they make excuses to do so.

I used to drink to get <deleted>, but eventually that got boring, so I stopped.

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

' Some of us don't have to imbibe alcohol to enjoy food' is a sad attempt at moral superiority

And the snooty claim of  'we who have more sophisticated palates'  is not like this? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thaijack2014 said:

No, I don't drink Pepsi, but the best the world has to offer with a good meal: a glass of clean, clear ice cold water. Anything else spoils the taste of the food.

I can remember when water was provided free to diners, and then it changed and we had to pay for it, but 10 baht a bottle is hardly breaking the bank.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can remember when water was provided free to diners, and then it changed and we had to pay for it, but 10 baht a bottle is hardly breaking the bank.

I have had pals decline even that, and buy a cheaper one from the 7-11 after we left.

• Sad 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, jacko45k said:

And the snooty claim of  'we who have more sophisticated palates'  is not like this? 

We have to know ourselves. Why deny our education and experience? Should I boast about my ignorance? You denigrate the educated self aware but I learned from them. But you stick to your burger, fries and Pepsi..go on - live the dream! lol

On 12/10/2021 at 6:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. People drink alcohol to alter their mental status, and sometimes they make excuses to do so.

I used to drink to get <deleted>, but eventually that got boring, so I stopped.

The pursuit of oblivion separates us from animals and is noble. The weaker minded and genetically impaired can't cope with alcohol and quite rightly eschew it. Because they have to.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's your choice. Just don't preach at others who like getting drunk and eating!

Why should I? It is not my body and brain. Often the boring people are the ones that think I have to drink too, just because they don't like to do it alone.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, herfiehandbag said:

The distribution chain for the take from "informal taxation" on Pattaya's nightlife extends rather a long way up...

All of which is passed onto the consumer. (tourists) 

For how long will they be prepared to keep paying?  

On 12/10/2021 at 11:44 PM, michel7752 said:

Are some bars in Soi 6 open now or not? Do they meet the required SHA+ requirements for serving food and alcohol or not?

Queen Vic, but I once had an abysmal all day brekkie there and have never been back since.