In search of crumpet

dick turpin

On 12/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, Ralf001 said:

None of the crumpets  ive purchased locally compare to Aus crumpets.

Ive tried all that have been mentioned in the thread and yeah, every time much disappoint.

I now make my own and they are pretty decent.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/baking/articles/make-crumpets/hgupmqnh

Same same... Im from NZ, but don't like the crumpets from the expat shops.. 

On 12/5/2021 at 6:00 AM, Ralf001 said:

Ive tried all that have been mentioned in the thread and yeah, every time much disappoint.

Thanks for the tip.  I live in France and have the very same problem.

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

We Americans call them English Muffins and Thomas's makes the best.  I try to bring back a few packages when I go to the US and then return.  Can not find them here.

I miss Thomas's English muffins but they are not crumpets. Two different things, and I prefer the taste and texture of English muffins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mahjongguy said:

I miss Thomas's English muffins but they are not crumpets. Two different things, and I prefer the taste and texture of English muffins.

You are right a crumpet is not baked but griddled.  Two different flavors, as the English muffin can be toasted.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

We Americans call them English Muffins and Thomas's makes the best.  I try to bring back a few packages when I go to the US and then return.  Can not find them here.

Some differences but a close second. It is what one gets with and Egg or Sausage McMuffin from McD!

On 12/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, Ralf001 said:

Yank living here, and don't think I miss anything from the USA, food wise, except a cannoli.  That of course, requires knowing how to cook, and being able to at home though.  Quite the challenge for condo living, unless deep pockets.

If you can, you'll eat so much healthy, as we buy so little processed food, and make most things from scratch.  Helps fill in all those hours of a day, if retired.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, Havenstreet1940 said:

Warburtons ( my choiceevery time) are avaialble from Expat Foods Thailand in Pattaya in packs of 6.

Where is Expat Foods in Pattaya? Four Western food shops have already been mentioned, any of them not in the Darkside?

Edited by possum1931

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

In Scotland they are the same as pancakes but only much wider and flatter. you spread butter on them and roll them up.