China could be an economic time bomb sitting on Thailand’s doorstep as Evergrande collapse nears

webfact

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where is this OP China Bashing, I see one poster, but the rest of the posts therein are not.  Think you need to read some of the posts, and not make rash statements such as what you posted because of one post, because it is not very proper. Calling people Sheeple is also disrespectful.

I wasn't referring to the OP. It should be obvious from the sheer number of BM's who took the opportunity toi engage in some China bashing, including spreading conspiracy theories. They deserve worse than to be called sheeple which is a term most often bandied about by the far right.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

From the OP - "President Xi Jinping has reacted by galvanising public opinion at home with increasingly strident, nationalistic rhetoric promising a more equal redistribution of wealth by 2035"

I seem to remember a guy named Mao saying the same thing

He tried by killing off 60 million of the poorer in th epopulation.  How many will the current dictator kill in his bid? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Agreed.  But I suspect it won't be a conventional war. 

A few thousand or even a few hundred SAS type troops could land relatively covertly and quickly remove (eradicate) a large portion of the political infrastructure in a very short timeframe.

Knowing their heads are on the block, the remaining power base will be only too willing to negotiate a swift surrender.  Politicians invariably and uniformly value their own life far more than their ideals. 

I bet more than just a few of them have their Leah's on a slow idle 24/7 right now and those that aren't neutralized and have time to escape will do so.

It will happen so fast the West won't have time to mobilize and the US and UK will be only too happy to announce the event as a China "domestic issue", largely because the global economic risk to losing the source of chips would be too devastating.

So your time frame is 1-2 years as TSMC has been courted successfully to set up factores in other locations, such as USA.

The consequences of a China disaster of this nature will be far reaching.  Collateral damage will be global.  The global debt bubble is enormous particularly when you add derivatives.  An implosion in China debt markets will shake global confidence that is already teetering.  Have to wonder who will be buying all that Sovereign  debt when China steps back from the auctions.  Hope I am blowing smoke and turn out to be dead wrong … it’s been known to happen ????.  Might be a good time to consider investing in real assets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

One of big reasons fueling this looming disaster is the fact that China provides very little in the way of security for its seniors. So they have a very high savings rate which means that they have to put their money somewhere. If China had instituted a decent social security system in the early days of its growth, that growth would have been slower but more sustainable. It's citizens would have spent more on consumption and invested less which would have resulted in a more balanced and sustainable economy.

Also, the Chinese govt has forced the private sector to invest or lend  money to losing state banks and industries. Xi's bizarre version of socialsim- support state banks and industries but starve funding for social programs - are driving China towards a major financial disaster. Unless things radically change, China seems destined to be a perpetual middle income nation.

I had heard nothing about this till I read the OP. It cheered me up immensely. With any luck it'll also do some serious damage to the 10% in the west that think they deserve most of the wealth.

Seems to me that little was done after the 2008 financial crisis to prevent such crisis in the future, and now chickens are flying home.

Hopefully all those financial people that make loadsacash from moving other people's money around are sweating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Walker88 said:

Don't see those conspiracy theories here.

What is undeniable is the the CCP acted incredibly irresponsibly when Covid first arose, squashing any mention of it and even jailing doctors who tried to speak out about it. Despite knowing that it was a dangerous and infectious virus, China allowed the masses to travel during Lunar New Year, and nations unaware what virus was emerging accepted millions of Chinese tourists, thus allowing the virus to go global.

CCP had a responsibility not only to its own citizens, but to the entire world, to warn of the emerging virus and welcome any and all experts to look at data and virus samples and get to work understanding it and taking steps to mitigate its spread.

The CCP failed, and two years later the world is still fighting, and dying, because of the fragile ego of the CCP.

Show me a country that didn't act irresponsibly, some more so than others. Remember, "it will be gone by Easter"? Just as a start.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Agreed.  But I suspect it won't be a conventional war. 

A few thousand or even a few hundred SAS type troops could land relatively covertly and quickly remove (eradicate) a large portion of the political infrastructure in a very short timeframe.

Knowing their heads are on the block, the remaining power base will be only too willing to negotiate a swift surrender.  Politicians invariably and uniformly value their own life far more than their ideals. 

I bet more than just a few of them have their Leah's on a slow idle 24/7 right now and those that aren't neutralized and have time to escape will do so.

It will happen so fast the West won't have time to mobilize and the US and UK will be only too happy to announce the event as a China "domestic issue", largely because the global economic risk to losing the source of chips would be too devastating.

It's a pity that the Taiwanese, who have performed so brilliantly in so many way, don't even suspect that China might implement strategy you have floated here and have taken no steps to counter such an eventuality. And you know this because...?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had heard nothing about this till I read the OP. It cheered me up immensely. With any luck it'll also do some serious damage to the 10% in the west that think they deserve most of the wealth.

Seems to me that little was done after the 2008 financial crisis to prevent such crisis in the future, and now chickens are flying home.

Hopefully all those financial people that make loadsacash from moving other people's money around are sweating.

They're not the only ones who will be sweating. China is also a huge importer of goods from the West. So it's not just the Chinese and their neighbors who will suffer.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

They're not the only ones who will be sweating. China is also a huge importer of goods from the West. So it's not just the Chinese and their neighbors who will suffer.

Living in NZ I'm well aware of that. A large part of our income is from China. However, I believe it was an unsustainable system in China where a few became obscenely wealthy while the masses suffered, and sooner or later it will end one way or another, which means the correction would happen anyway, eventually.

If China does collapse economically, there will be a lot of pain and screaming in NZ, IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I 3was responding to a comment bashing China.

OK. my mistake. Yes, I see lots of indiscriminate china bashing here, mostly allegations that because the Chinese political system is repugnant, therefore everything that comes out of China is somehow inferior or malign.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Living in NZ I'm well aware of that. A large part of our income is from China. However, I believe it was an unsustainable system in China where a few became obscenely wealthy while the masses suffered, and sooner or later it will end one way or another, which means the correction would happen anyway, eventually.

If China does collapse economically, there will be a lot of pain and screaming in NZ, IMO.

Australia too. Much of the real estate price frenzy has been driven by Chinese money. A collapse in house prices and rise in interest rates will cause much gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you not think they deserve a bashing ( obviously referring to the leadership, not the masses )?

Sure they do but I object to the conspiracy theories about the origins of coronavirus and the general racist sentiment. It's one thing to bash government policy and another to bash it's people. Furthermore, there's plenty of blame to go around but you don't see any attempt at nuance or balance.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 3