Anti-vaxxers protest in Bangkok

webfact

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So you want democracy, but on your terms... sounds like the present PM.

It's nothing about democracy, it's about freedom of choice and taking responsibity for ones actions

Other than medical exemption, I have not heard one single rational arguement for not taking the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

It's nothing about democracy, it's about freedom of choice and taking responsibity for ones actions

Other than medical exemption, I have not heard one single rational arguement for not taking the vaccine.

The rational answer, could be, if having had covid, and the body dealt with it with ease. should one be too concerned about being vaccinated. The newsflow at the moment, is increasingly suggesting that whilst omicron is more virulent, it's far less deadly. We will know by Christmas imo. Happy days ahead, if it turns out this way.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheScience said:

They understand that there is little or no benefit to vaccinating minors. Probably also understand that you can get covid AND pass it on even if double vaccinated. Also might understand the numerous studies citing antibodies / resistance developed by exposure rather than vaccination are stronger.

Probably also don't know anyone that has died of the ailment.

But hey...that's just crazy talk

Significantly reduces risk dear chap, SIGNIFICANTLY reduces risk.

But hey...that's just sensible talk.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chelseafan said:

Significantly reduces risk dear chap, SIGNIFICANTLY reduces risk.

But hey...that's just sensible talk.

Keep believing it. Get yourself another few jabs.

Would be interesting how many people would pay 1500b out of pocket every four months to *significantly reduce risk*

That's not much to tell a teenager getting a Pfizer jab. Huge potential for heart problems.

Until now I've never had a flu vax in my life. I'm never sick.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, papa al said:

July 27; papa comes down with covid.

Recovers quickly with "horse medicine."

Sept. 9 labs:

1. Antigen test: (-).  No active infection

2. Antibody test:      result ...  3400.

[ >50 is presumptive of prior infection & immunity]

///// Dunning-Kruger.

Jesus Wept, I will have to say it for the umpteenth time...

Vaccines help to boost immunity, just because you recovered doesn't mean natural immunity is the best way to beat a virus,  no one said natural immunity doesn't exist, and YOU CAN"T control a new virus by just saying "nATuRAl immUNitY wiLL coVEr iT' 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Keep believing it. Get yourself another few jabs.

Would be interesting how many people would pay 1500b out of pocket every four months to *significantly reduce risk*

That's not much to tell a teenager getting a Pfizer jab. Huge potential for heart problems.

Until now I've never had a flu vax in my life. I'm never sick.

Good for you.

If it's alright by you, I'll go by the advice of scientists rather than forum members as I believe they have a little more insight than we all do

You go on reading the internet conspiracy theories after all it's the same place that says Elvis is still alive so must be true ????

Until now I've never had a leg amputated. I'm still walking.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

Okay, if you are in the mood, take up the mantle of your fellow disbeliever in science MrUniverse and have a go at my posts in response to his if you like. He's cut and run as we knew he would. But you won't will you?

You have far too much time on your hands.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/wait-what-fda-wants-55-years-process-foia-request-over-vaccine-data-2021-11-18/

Just now, TheScience said:

Sure, I'm in quarantine. And your post does exactly what to address the questions asked of your post or my responses to MrUniverse? 

I'll try to guess - you're saying that you WOULD be able to provide us with scientific proof, but can't because of the FDA's slow process of disclosure of the data?

Okay, but in that case you would have to agree that your points are mere speculation. You will note that they ARE providing documents, but given the enormous amount of documents requested they have to be redacted first to address privacy concerns etc. and they don't have the staff sufficient to do so in a short period of time. You also don't know what the documents will say, or conclude, so it isn't proof of anything except the slow wheels of bureaucracy turning, which is hardly a revelation in Thailand or anywhere else. 

Now you made a number of very specific assertions. Where are your sources of information for this so we can assess them?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Sure, I'm in quarantine. And your post does exactly what to address the questions asked of your post or my responses to MrUniverse? 

I'll try to guess - you're saying that you WOULD be able to provide us with scientific proof, but can't because of the FDA's slow process of disclosure of the data?

Okay, but in that case you would have to agree that your points are mere speculation. You will note that they ARE providing documents, but given the enormous amount of documents requested they have to be redacted first to address privacy concerns etc. and they don't have the staff sufficient to do so in a short period of time. You also don't know what the documents will say, or conclude, so it isn't proof of anything except the slow wheels of bureaucracy turning, which is hardly a revelation in Thailand or anywhere else. 

Now you made a number of very specific assertions. Where are your sources of information for this so we can assess them?

If you're really in quarantine perhaps ask the doctor for 10mg alprozolam. Seriously...

2 minutes ago, TheScience said:

If you're really in quarantine perhaps ask the doctor for 10mg alprozolam. Seriously...

Thanks, I'm triple-vaxxed, so I'm good. Just a requirement of the country to get into Laos. 

I'd like your responses to the questions if you wouldn't mind.

Omnicron has a special present for these people,

“At this time, we think about 75% to 80% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated," he said. "It could be as large as 40% of the population that has not yet either been vaccinated or had a previous infection with coronavirus up until now,” he noted. “So, we have a large pool of people who can still present with overwhelming infection and severe disease,” he said.

https://www.voanews.com/a/south-africa-readies-hospitals-as-omicron-variant-drives-new-covid-19-wave-/6340912.html

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I made sure I got the flu vaccine this year too, I quite enjoyed that ???? 

I'm 60. Never had a flu vaccine. I think I come down with a mild flu once every ten years. Even work in a school.

But I'm happy for you. Might do some good, might not but it's your decision.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheScience said:
11 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Jesus wept, Mr. Natural Immunity strikes again. 

Might do some good? I guess you don't look at the data then ???? 

Actually, it's pretty common knowledge in states before all the covid hysteria hit that flu vaccines were pretty worthless and only seriously recommended for the elderly (and kids bc of school).

I've had many vaccinations in my life. Not only important, valid childhood vaccines but travel immunizations as well. Add to this two AZ vaccines I had to have due to work. I won't get a booster (think it's <deleted>+) and especially not an mRNA vaccine.

So, you see I'm hardly antivax.

The Influenza vaccines had an efficacy of between 40-60% depending on the year and how well the virologists tracked and predicted the drift of Influenza. 

For those of us sufficiently resilient our resilience alone is enough to handle the periodic minor sniffles as influenza evolves / drifts along side us, however, we have just spent two years in isolation which provides an opportunity for Influenza to drift and evolve in pockets and communities whereby other countries, pockets and communities have had no exposure to the Influenza virus, our immunity will have reduced, the next time we are exposed influenza could kick is in the backside..... Thats just influenza.

If ever there was a time to take an influenza vaccines, now is it !

That said, the SARS-CoV-2 virus is a different beast - it is so contagious the transmission is such that its difficult to prevent.

Vaccines have proven effective at slowing down transmission. That does not mean vaccines are ineffective because transmission can still occur, it does mean that without vaccines transmission would be greater, there would be greater opportunity for the Virus to evolve / drift at a faster rate into something we really do not like. 

If vaccines cannot eradicate SARS-CoV-2, which I believe they can’t, they can at least slow the spread and therefor antigenic drift of the virus such that virologists can keep up - if that sounds like chasing our tails, it pretty much is. Without any attempt to slow down the spread of SARS-CoV-2 and allowing it to spread without any controls we could see ourselves in a situation where SARS-CoV-2 evolves into something far more deadly.

We have already seen this as new variants emerge from areas of high outbreak and more recently from areas of high outbreak and poor vaccination numbers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

you don't half LARP as one though

I don't know what you're even saying.

It comes across as political though.

Again, I've had dozens of vaccines in my life. I just don't want THOSE mRNA vaccines. If forced, I'll go with AZ again or Sputnik V or even the Chinese vaccine.

It's my body. It's up to ME.

Off topic posts and replies about the effectiveness of the flu vaccines have been removed.

Off topic posts about the vaccine mandates in the US have been removed as this topic is about "Anti-vaxxers protest in Bangkok."

Posts and replies with ad hominem attacks have been removed.

17 hours ago, TheScience said:

I don't know what you're even saying.

It comes across as political though.

Again, I've had dozens of vaccines in my life. I just don't want THOSE mRNA vaccines. If forced, I'll go with AZ again or Sputnik V or even the Chinese vaccine.

It's my body. It's up to ME.

LARP = live action role-play

Don't know how that is political, but it means you sound like an anti-vaxxer in your arguments.  Yeah, yeah, you had vaccines before, well done, gold star, but your arguments are the same dumb ones I hear from anti-vaxxers 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:28 PM, PremiumLane said:

ahh the calling card of morons 

"natural immunity" is actually a real thing, and acquired by contracting a virus. i.e. covid in this case. Studies have actually been done.

Roughly equivalent to getting covid shots. That many, not all, governments fail to recognize this is quite another matter.

https://www.rockefeller.edu/news/30919-natural-infection-versus-vaccination-differences-in-covid-antibody-responses-emerge/

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/Waiver_Ed_Natural_Immunity_479884_7.pdf

1 hour ago, blackprince said:

I don't use Facebook. I work with Thais and I live with Thais. There is only 1 other farang living anywhere near me, and his family is also Thai.

Those of us who actually live in Thailand outside of the farang enclaves probably have a different perspective than some other foreigners.

I've taken the trouble to search for stats for you.

As of 27th Sept 2021 according to Bangkok Biz News.

"464 relatives of the deceased have received initial assistance."

That's deceased from covid vaccines. A total of around 2,500 compensation payments have been made for adverse reactions to covid vaccines.

I cannot find how many death-from-covid-vaccine payments and adverse-reaction-to-covid-vaccine payments have been made since then, but given the surge in recent months I should imagine the total deaths and adverse reactions are substantially higher now.

How exactly does that add weight to your claim that you know 6 people that have died after taking Sinovac then?

There are no stats you've produced, you have deliberately mislead yet again by not giving the full headline and context from the article that was shared widely in the media in Thailand, it was NOT 464 relatives of the deceased, it was as NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadej Thammatacharee said:

Phuket News: A total of 464 people who have died or become severely and permanently disabled following COVID-19 vaccinations 

NBT World: NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadej Thammatacharee said the office has paid over 230 million baht to 464 people or their families who have died or become severely and permanently disabled following COVID-19 vaccinations.

Edited by Bkk Brian

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

How exactly does that add weight to your claim that you know 6 people that have died after taking Sinovac then?

There are no stats you've produced, you have deliberately mislead yet again by not giving the full headline and context from the article that was shared widely in the media in Thailand, it was NOT 464 relatives of the deceased, it was as NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadej Thammatacharee said:

Phuket News: BANGKOK: A total of 464 people who have died or become severely and permanently disabled following COVID-19 vaccinations 

NBT World: NHSO secretary-general Dr. Jadej Thammatacharee said the office has paid over 230 million baht to 464 people or their families who have died or become severely and permanently disabled following COVID-19 vaccinations.

I gave the source of my quote. I would have quoted at length but Thai language is forbidden on this forum. If you can't be bothered to check it that's up to you.

I never made a claim, I stated a fact based on my experience of living here. A fact that is obviously corroborated, to say the very least,  not only by my quote but your post too!

I qualified in stats at Bachelor and Master's level. I have managed data science projects for leading management consultancies and household names for 30 years. There are many types of statistical metrics, I gave you a statistical metric.

You have misreperented my posts repeatedly over the last week, because you have an agenda that will not be changed by data.

I note you give me "likes" when what I say fits your agenda, and misrepesent my posts when what I say doesn't fit your agenda.