Anti-vaxxers protest in Bangkok

webfact

The stupid stick has arrived in thailand with parading moron experts who think they know more than the  experts who have spend decades studying and treating viral diseases.....but of course the morons saw something on the internet or facebook or heard a rumour from noi's sisters cousins friend who surely is more believable than worldwide data that has demonstrated without doubt that the vaccines have prevented untold numbers of deaths and hospitalizations with a tiny fraction of serious adverse reactions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Ah, right on schedule! Look at Mr Wikipedia here! Somebody's attained a Wiki Ph.D. after their YU M.Sc. - you know it's bad form to brag to us unedumacated folks after you attain such high distinction?

Congrats on at least finding Wikipedia on your way to or from whatever quack anti-vax site you were "REseARChinG" - that's the pinnacle of knowledge to you, innit? Y'all would be amusing to play with except that you are likely infecting the unfortunate well-meaning friends and relatives who remember you from before you went off the deep end.

Your comment is very clever and snarky but contains no actual content.

Natural immunity is basic biology.  You don't have to be anti-vax to understand how natural immunity works.  You do have to be anti-science (like you are) or just uneducated (as you are) to deny that natural immunity is a thing.

Do you want to debate that point?  Or just come back with more clever snark?  Or more likely slink away quietly.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomster said:

Isn't that what has been happening since pretty much the start of life on earth - pretty sure we've survived respiratory viruses without vaccines and face nappies up until now...

True.  But lots of deaths associated with that.  Lots.  Experts say natural immunity can't be achieved.  And if we try, millions and millions will die.  Not the best approach to take.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mruniverse said:

Natural immunity is basic biology.  You don't have to be anti-vax to understand how natural immunity works.  You do have to be anti-science (like you are) or just uneducated (as you are) to deny that natural immunity is a thing.

Do you want to debate that point?  Or just come back with more clever snark?  Or more likely slink away quietly.

Thanks! You are making some assumptions, and as my old engineering professor used to say "assume makes an ass out of u and me".

True that I opted for snark, because it's just too easy. Of course natural immunity exists, that was never in question. It's been shown however that it wears off, just like vaccines do, hence the boosters. So you're just going to keep getting the virus? How's the mortality and hospitalization rates for those vaccinated versus those not vaccinated? Or is that some sort of conspiracy to put out false information?

All joshing aside, do yourself and the rest of us a favour and get the jab. While I love to make jokes here, getting COVID and dying on a ventilator is not in any way a fun or funny way to die. Passing on the virus to a vulnerable person who does is sad and unfair. Continuing to serve as a Petri dish for future mutations helps nobody.

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Really? I never knew how natural immunity worked.....and you don't appear to know that natural immunity is boosted by a vaccine, and immunity from a vaccine lasts longer. 

And how was natural immunity against diseases such as polio? Are we just gonna let it go to pot-luck, if you have the immunity then it is OK, if not, then screw you? Screw modern science and medicine, what do we need that for, hey? 

So you are now backing down and do now acknowledge that natural immunity is a thing.

But it turns out you know even less about natural immunity than we thought.  Natural immunity is not a thing that you just have - its a thing your body develops in reaction to the presence of a pathogen.  So my original point still stands - you don't understand biology and you're calling other people morons for knowing more than you.

• Confused 1

Just now, mruniverse said:

So you are now backing down and do now acknowledge that natural immunity is a thing.

But it turns out you know even less about natural immunity than we thought.  Natural immunity is not a thing that you just have - its a thing your body develops in reaction to the presence of a pathogen.  So my original point still stands - you don't understand biology and you're calling other people morons for knowing more than you.

Sigh. Look Mr Wikipedia, you are referring to a different poster. The clue is in the name of the poster whom you're responding to. I'm JCauto. You were responding to PremiumLane. Got it?

Any comment on my points other than clutching at the one straw you have, that you understand the concept of natural immunity? Do you think natural immunity is perfect and prevents you from ever getting the virus again? Do you think it wears off as time goes on? What's your plan, get reinfected again? Do you have any comments on the relationship between hospitalization and mortality and being vaccinated versus unvaccinated? Or just prattle on about natural immunity while mistakenly identifying the poster? BTW, that indicates sloppiness and lack of fact checking, not the sort of thing one tends to get from proper scientists.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JCauto said:

Sigh. Look Mr Wikipedia, you are referring to a different poster. The clue is in the name of the poster whom you're responding to. I'm JCauto. You were responding to PremiumLane. Got it?

Yes - I was responding to PremiumLane, not you.  Got it?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mruniverse said:

And it's been proven that Omicron evades natural immunity.  Or, immunity developed via a previous infection.

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Experts say natural immunity can't be achieved

Any expert who says that is a muppet, not an expert.

If natural immunity can not be achieved then the first virus that existed would have wiped all humans out, by definition that is how natural immunity is always achieved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I never said natural immunity wasn't a thing. I called people morons for thinking natural immunity alone is better than vaccines.  

And I will say it again, vaccines help immunity, natural immunity alone isn't good enough, and relying on just natural immunity is not a good way to fight a virus... do keep up. 

He also can't figure out who he is responding to. Perhaps the brain fog from his bout of COVID is lingering.

1 minute ago, tomster said:

Any expert who says that is a muppet, not an expert.

If natural immunity can not be achieved then the first virus that existed would have wiped all humans out, by definition that is how natural immunity is always achieved.

Do the research.  It's been stated by many experts.  Many.  And we're talking about Covid, not any other disease.

30 minutes ago, mruniverse said:

Or the current vaccines

you got a source for that? At the moment they are not 100% sure. 

If Omicron can dodge neutralizing antibodies, it does not mean that immune responses triggered by vaccination and prior infection will offer no protection against the variant. Immunity studies suggest that modest levels of neutralizing antibodies may protect people from severe forms of COVID-19, says Miles Davenport, an immunologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.

Early reports suggest that most breakthrough infections with Omicron have been mild.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sukkaphapsickle said:

We will discover in the next months just how bad the vaccines are as much of the information about how many deaths and injuries has been way under-reported everywhere in our world.   
Folks will be complaining about blood clots or other issues and their "esteemed doctors" will say that was not related to the vaccines they received.

Very sad about the false reporting going on.

Is it only the Covid-19 vaccines which you are against ? any certain type ?

Protien Subunit, VLP (Virus like Particiles) DNA-Based (under development), RNA-Based, Non-Replicating Viral Vector, Replicating Viral Vector, Inactivated Virus, Live Attenuated Virus ?????

You understand them all and your voice is one of educated balance and reason, right ???.... 

We’ve been vaccinated for generations and there was not such a widespread problem with them (apart from a number of nutters who believed the discredited Andrew Wakefield).

When you talk of ‘blood clots’ do you grasp that statistically 1 in 4 people have a thrombosis episode in their life time.  In the US 1 in 1000 people will have a thrombotic episode each year. 

Additionally... conventional Thrombosis is a little different to Thrombocytopenia (Vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia) which is something which has always been a risk for vaccines and is not something new as a result of Covid-19 vaccines, but as the Covid-19 vaccines are being administer in numbers under such attention and such ‘media hysteria’ any negative event is amplified out of context - More people will have died in an accident on their way to or from receiving their vaccine than deaths caused by a vaccine (just some perspective). 

I wonder how much the anti-vaxxers understand at all about vaccines.... then I wonder if they ever considered the potential of what a virus can evolve into and that the potential for a virus like SARS-CoV-2 is potentially extremely frightening. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, PremiumLane said:

ahh the calling card of morons 

July 27; papa comes down with covid.

Recovers quickly with "horse medicine."

Sept. 9 labs:

1. Antigen test: (-).  No active infection

2. Antibody test:      result ...  3400.

[ >50 is presumptive of prior infection & immunity]

///// Dunning-Kruger.

2 hours ago, mruniverse said:

So who is it who has slunk away? 

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder how much the anti-vaxxers understand at all about vaccines....

They understand that there is little or no benefit to vaccinating minors. Probably also understand that you can get covid AND pass it on even if double vaccinated. Also might understand the numerous studies citing antibodies / resistance developed by exposure rather than vaccination are stronger.

Probably also don't know anyone that has died of the ailment.

But hey...that's just crazy talk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mruniverse said:

ou do have to be anti-science (like you are) or just uneducated (as you are) to deny that natural immunity is a thing.

and yet no one is saying natural immunity isn't a thing, what they are saying is relying solely on it is a very bad idea. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Democracy is alive it seems... freedom of choice, you make yours, let them make theirs.

Absolutely!

As long as they don't expect medical help when they go down with Covid after making their choice.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 2