Pattaya introduces its five-year strategy to develop the city as the ‘Tourism City of the Future’

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

an increase of alternative career skills for young generations in the digital era after the Covid-19 pandemic.

i could be wrong of course but wasn't that only fans and cam girls?

4 hours ago, Inala said:

Not me, I'm only interested in the girls, go go's, massage and soapies, that's the only reason me and every mate I know goes to Pattaya and why I lived there for so long. Oh, and some go to play golf, but even then that's just a cover up for mostly flirting with the caddys' <deleted>. We love the chaos, the unkempt appearance and the mostly unregulated freedom of the place. But, if they want to remove the girls and turn the city into just another sterile place emulating the boring cities here in Australia, or the US, or the UK, we'll I guess up to them, it's their city after all. But we won't be going there anymore. And it was us who brought the money in the past.

You will be replaced with Chinese and Indians as is already happening.

The days of Pattaya as a sin city for Western sex-tourists and sexpats will draw to a close eventually and with the plans for the EEC it appears that will be sooner rather than later. 

Look at Bangkok, that was incredible back in the late 90's all the way up from Sukhumvit Soi Zero (Buckskin Joe Village) to Impressionists' Row on Soi 33. There wasn't an area along Sukhumvit that didn't have bars and women. What remains now is the sad shell of Nana plaza and Soi Cowboy. Patpong is almost totally destroyed and will probably be sold off to developers. It's all gone, end of an era.

That's the future for Pattaya too.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Does this mean they're gonna fix the drains, flooding and beach problems?

Or are they just putting a bit of lippy on the pig?

They haven't been able to fix the above problems or get entertainment  venues open and liquor being served but some how they think all their deaming will bear fruit.

it's just the usual word flow that they have to say for the sake of saying - though always risk of them actually starting to do something and screwing up everything. 

real meaning something along the lines of this:

1. Improving the quality of life and safety = Once covid is over, facilitate more poor girls here to earn $ to pay the accumulated debts and improve their and their faimilies life standard, and to attract tourists with that to use other services too etc. Don't remove the entrance thermometers for the sake of show safety even when covid over.

2. Upgrade infrastructure efficiency to support the EEC = Try to get China to fund the planned trains so that local contractors and officials can get their kickbacks. Never mind the chaos and dysfunction of the outcome.

3. Promote economic and environmentally-friendly innovation = set up a pattaya think-tank to try to create new ways to extract more from tourists without actually doing anything. 

4. Sustainable management of natural resources and environment =  promote girls and boys to do more three(and four-five)somes as it saves in water and laundry - and also increases average spend per visitor.

5. Enhance Pattaya City to a modern and highly efficient organizational city = continue to manage the road, drainage, water and cable re-works as before or worse. Close longer sections of more reads and spread the resources evenly to all of them so that the works last longer.

• Haha 2

Pattaya has a bad image of being the place for sleaze  sex bars and so on 

The British tabloids love any news concerning the above

Pattaya has slowly been trying to change its image to a more family oriented place to visit 

It's going to take time but it will happen 

• Like 1

One of the problems with the people who come up with these ideas is like many Thai's in similar positions they try to run before they can walk. 

Invariably they won't worry about what infrastructure is required, regular maintenance, training etc.

If someone was serious about developing Thailand as a country they have really got to start with addressing the standard of education, once that's up to scratch they can slowly move forward.

This is why every year you hear the same old BS .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The plan will be proposed to the Pattaya City Council, introducing five main tasks including: 1. Improving the quality of life and safety; 2. Upgrade infrastructure efficiency to support the EEC; 3. Promote economic and environmentally-friendly innovation; 4. Sustainable management of natural resources and environment; 5. Enhance Pattaya City to a modern and highly efficient organizational city.

I see the Thai government is as skilled as the US government in abstract double talk.  You notice there was not a single example of any project they said were "tasks" only empty platitudes.  "Promote economic and environmentally- friendly innovation."  What the H is that? 

18 minutes ago, Benmart said:

The millions to be made with bribes, kick-backs, extortion and alike will prove to be a great incentive to move forward with this Tofu-Project concept.

Sure it's already starting  at North end.  Millions of baht minus paying the Cambodians 150baht/day to sit under the tree smoking cigarettes all  day for a month. 

IMG_20211209_104036.jpg

IMG_20211209_104046.jpg

4 hours ago, newnative said:

It's just not the main thing anymore, no matter how many posters would like it to be.  

IMO a bit presumptuous to be making statements about what WILL happen when/ if things ever get back to some semblance of what was before. Pattaya has a habit of negating the best laid plans of city hall to turn a dump into the Riviera of SEA.

Perhaps you could reword that as "I hope it's just not the main thing anymore".

Money talks, and IMO as long as girls are profitable, ways will be found to make them available, given who was making money off them in the past.

IMO the last thing such people want is for the girls to be on line and off the money tree.

2 hours ago, mran66 said:

3. Promote economic and environmentally-friendly innovation = set up a pattaya think-tank to try to create new ways to extract more from tourists without actually doing anything. 

They were already doing that before corona with the push to put a bit of paint on an old hotel and rebrand it as a "boutique" hotel, with a suitably higher price for the same old dump.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The days of Pattaya as a sin city for Western sex-tourists and sexpats will draw to a close eventually and with the plans for the EEC it appears that will be sooner rather than later. 

Look at Bangkok, that was incredible back in the late 90's all the way up from Sukhumvit Soi Zero (Buckskin Joe Village) to Impressionists' Row on Soi 33. There wasn't an area along Sukhumvit that didn't have bars and women. What remains now is the sad shell of Nana plaza and Soi Cowboy. Patpong is almost totally destroyed and will probably be sold off to developers. It's all gone, end of an era.

The buildings may disappear, but as long as the internet exists I doubt that the action will end. After all, the bars only existed for men to know where to go to get what they wanted.

I foresee the all inclusive holiday experience, where the girl meets the client at the airport, and stays with him for the duration of the stay.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This is one American legacy that Thailand do not need. Most Thais will be happy to see those sleazy go-go bars and related sex trade from the days of rest and recreation destination for US military servicemen in the 60s and 70s be gone. 

A balance of economy and environment, quality aspects of lives, including health, education, society, and environment. 

Ridiculous dreams, idealism, hubris and a complete lack of understanding tend to promote such fantasies. Not that Pattaya could not benefit from improvement. 

For something like this to succeed, great minds are needed, the economy would need to move forword, instead of being destroyed, wealthy people would need to be attracted to Thailand, instead of being repulsed by the place and it's policies, and there would have to be a concerted effort to improve the environment, which requires sincerely addressing the air, water and land issues, instead of destroying it by retrograde greed. None of that appears possible, in the current environment. Nothing is being done. 

And of course a real effort would have to be made to improve education here, which appears to be the last thing in the world the powerful and elite want. 

Total pipe dreams, by people lost in space. Thailand continues to maintain it's rather sorry place, as one of the least progressive nations in earth. Will that ever change? It is possible? Only if the youth seize control, from the money crazed, backward dinosaurs. 

WireAP_f2d5e865bde74bae9daa81a5434caea9_16x9_992.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Does this mean bars.. pubs will get a green light to open in..3-4 years....under new management and no frills or thrills.... hopefully whatever is done it gets people to back work so they can support their families... live in the now and save the dreams for later... 555

On 12/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, BritManToo said:

Does this mean they're gonna fix the drains, flooding and beach problems?

Or are they just putting a bit of lippy on the pig?

They are aleady repairing and replacing the drains on second  road to stop the flooding.  They are not renewing licenses to certain areas and bars, ( walking street beach front, maybe other places)they have leveled soi Made in Thailand.  Its obvious their plan now.  They are snuffing out certain areas and allowing the mightlife to flourish  in places like tree town  and soi buakow.  They are revamping and changing Pattata.  Covid is the tool used.

• Like 1

so what happened to last plan / strategy ??   Pattaya to be the Miami  / the Las Vegas of Thailand !!!   mmmm elephant in the room ??      Do you think we can get the footpaths fixed on South Pattaya Road after 5 years ???   That would be a good start !!  

every time I hear something like this about Pattaya I say the same

Repair things and maintain the infrastructure. Give pedestrians (Tourists) priority, wide sidewalks, safe crossing of the road. Stop thinking  that new projects without any follow up maintenance are the answer.

Pattaya is a dilapidated seaside town which does not cater for tourists. It has dangerous infrastructure and not family friendly. The reports of locals getting injured and killed by lack of maintenance and poor signage of holes in the road are frequent. I wonder if the signal controlled crossing on 2nd road has been repaired yet (I doubt it it's only been 2 years since I was there)

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good question.

And maybe: is anybody really interest that that plan works? And do they want that it works?

Or is it just one of those presentation for some people to see so that someone can say: Hey, we did something...

What I see is a 'Meetings Culture' i.e.

1. "lets hold a meeting"

2. "What For?"

3. "To discuss the future"

4. "what about outcomes?"

5. We'll tell people what we said

6. "Of course, but what practical outcomes?"

7. "Practical?"

8. "Yes, what will you do as a result of this meeting?"

9. "Oh yes I understand what you mean now.... we will have another meeting to discuss this meeting."

Return to line 1

• Like 1

So they started 3 years ago, and the plan will take another 5 years. What is going to be their excuse as to why the plan failed and how many years will it take to scrap this plan and request more money to spend on another new plan that will be successful. If they want tourism to return to it's halcyon days of the past it's actually w am quite simple. Just go back to the old requirements. No covid19 testing for fully vaccinated travelers, drop the hotel quarantine, drop the mandatory insurance that doesn't pay anyway, and bring to an end to 90 day reporting if you are living at the same address. Computers and phone apps allow officials to know where you are (just ask Google or Facebook) Keep things simple.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The buildings may disappear, but as long as the internet exists I doubt that the action will end. After all, the bars only existed for men to know where to go to get what they wanted.

I foresee the all inclusive holiday experience, where the girl meets the client at the airport, and stays with him for the duration of the stay.

In a way, that was what happened in the early, long ago days of a holiday in Thailand..... it may have been preceded by a wild hedonistic 3 or 4 days. And then one would be considering a 'keeper', usually taken on a long barfine from a beer bar. And off one went to Samui or somewhere with her like a Happy Couple..... do you think we have come a complete circle?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

In a way, that was what happened in the early, long ago days of a holiday in Thailand..... it may have been preceded by a wild hedonistic 3 or 4 days. And then one would be considering a 'keeper', usually taken on a long barfine from a beer bar. And off one went to Samui or somewhere with her like a Happy Couple..... do you think we have come a complete circle?

That's exactly what I used to do, but I doubt the "interviews" could be described as "hedonistic".

When I had the same GF for 8 years I even avoided the "interviews" each holiday, just one night in Bkk and next day train to the south.