The march forward with paying through QR codes

18 hours ago, robblok said:

If you read about creditcard fraud its all over the place. Waiters looking at your code copying it and using it then you have the hassle of sorting it out. 

Both credit cards and debit cards have the same type information on them, so a waiter has equal access to either a credit card or debit card information, including the CVV number (which is recommended to be scratched out, and recorded elsewhere, as it's not needed for "card present" activity, only "card not present" activity, i.e., online purchases).

Only when you wake up and find your bank account has been debited for a fraudulent purchase will you realize why a credit card is far superior to a debit card, as your money remains intact in your bank account. But, yes, many don't qualify for credit cards and thus are forced to use debit cards, where paying "up front" gets around no credit.

Lots of info out there on why credit cards are superior to debit cards when it comes to fraud protection.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/credit-card-vs-debit-card/

https://www.cnbc.com/select/why-paying-with-credit-card-safer-than-debit-cash/

By the way, can't you check out with a QR code attached to a credit card? That would be my option, should I ever find fiddling with my phone more a pain than fiddling with my plastic credit card.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Both credit cards and debit cards have the same type information on them, so a waiter has equal access to either a credit card or debit card information, including the CVV number (which is recommended to be scratched out, and recorded elsewhere, as it's not needed for "card present" activity, only "card not present" activity, i.e., online purchases).

Only when you wake up and find your bank account has been debited for a fraudulent purchase will you realize why a credit card is far superior to a debit card, as your money remains intact in your bank account. But, yes, many don't qualify for credit cards and thus are forced to use debit cards, where paying "up front" gets around no credit.

Lots of info out there on why credit cards are superior to debit cards when it comes to fraud protection.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/credit-card-vs-debit-card/

https://www.cnbc.com/select/why-paying-with-credit-card-safer-than-debit-cash/

By the way, can't you check out with a QR code attached to a credit card? That would be my option, should I ever find fiddling with my phone more a pain than fiddling with my plastic credit card.

I was comparing QR code to creditcard. Not debit card to creditcard. Plus you need a pin for a debit card. (unless you got a creditcard to your debit card)

With a QR code nobody gets your info you scan and pay done. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Is QR code the same as prompt pay, just paid something at paleo Robbie (food online) and it said QR code / prompt pay. But yesterday when i wanted to pay for IKEA it just said promptpay. 

As far as I know prompt pay is only for Thai nationals ?

So i paid with my Thai debit card. I like the QR codes much better on websites and stuff. 

Does anyone know if promptpay and QR pay are the same ? 

Promptpay is available for foreigners...    any of us can register for promptpay with our mBanking App. 

Promptpay is linked to your phone number such that if I wanted to pay you, all I’d need to do is select the promptpay option and type in your phone number.

(only one account can be assigned to any phone number)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Promptpay is available for foreigners...    any of us can register for promptpay with our mBanking App. 

Promptpay is linked to your phone number such that if I wanted to pay you, all I’d need to do is select the promptpay option and type in your phone number.

so how can you pay a company for goods using promptpay?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

so how can you pay a company for goods using promptpay?

Ask them if their account has Promptpay tied to a phone number. 

If they have, you can use that. 

That said - Promptpay seems to be more of a simple way to transfer money between ‘people’ than for business payments... Its just a very convenient way of doing making the transfer and pre-dates using QR codes on mBanking apps. 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ask them if their account has Promptpay tied to a phone number. 

If they have, you can use that. 

That said - Promptpay seems to be more of a simple way to transfer money between ‘people’ than for business payments... Its just a very convenient way of doing making the transfer and pre-dates using QR codes on mBanking apps. 

which is strange when you look at Robloks question about payment for goods

Edited by scubascuba3

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

which is strange when you look at Robloks question about payment for goods

Yea im a bit confused, as paleo robbie wrote promptpay / qr code (and a qr code was generated and i paid with ease)

Ikea only said prompt pay so i did not try. I mean i really do like the qr code scan pay done. Prefer it over handing over my debit card details by ikea. (not that i order there a lot so not a real issue) 

Just more out of curiosity.  When i pay lazada with its wallet and top up they ask for a phone nr and i get a message in my Kasikorn app and pay from there (easy)

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Is QR code the same as prompt pay, just paid something at paleo Robbie (food online) and it said QR code / prompt pay. But yesterday when i wanted to pay for IKEA it just said promptpay. 

As far as I know prompt pay is only for Thai nationals ?

So i paid with my Thai debit card. I like the QR codes much better on websites and stuff. 

Does anyone know if promptpay and QR pay are the same ? 

Have a poke through this, mate. May give sone clarification 

https://www.bot.or.th/Thai/AboutBOT/Activities/event/Documents/ADBI_bancha.pdf

1 minute ago, MadMuhammad said:

Have a poke through this, mate. May give sone clarification 

https://www.bot.or.th/Thai/AboutBOT/Activities/event/Documents/ADBI_bancha.pdf

I will, but seems i do have prompt pay, i was going through my emails of kasikorn of payments and stuff (wanted to clean up my email boxes make some filters and labels ect. But while doing that i noticed it said that i paid by prompt pay. So obviously i have it or the bank mislabeled the transaction (unlikely)

Thank you for the effort and next time i need to pay and see promptpay ill use that to test. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, robblok said:

next time i need to pay and see promptpay ill use that to test. 

Since the start of this topic I thought it was about time I got up to date so I downloaded K+ and tried it in a local restaurant - worked fine. Then, staying a couple of nights in a Marriott I discovered that, amongst several shortcomings they're not set up for such payments. But today at Macro it was promptpay that came up on their screen, so maybe it's the choice of the merchant, not the customer. It was grindingly slow, I felt I had to apologise to the lady behind me in the queue.

7 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Since the start of this topic I thought it was about time I got up to date so I downloaded K+ and tried it in a local restaurant - worked fine. Then, staying a couple of nights in a Marriott I discovered that, amongst several shortcomings they're not set up for such payments. But today at Macro it was promptpay that came up on their screen, so maybe it's the choice of the merchant, not the customer. It was grindingly slow, I felt I had to apologise to the lady behind me in the queue.

Strange for me it was blistering fast at makro. Maybe its internet or server related to. I mea can you tell me what was slow for you ?

I mean if you have your phone ready with the app open and scan its seconds is it not ?

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Strange for me it was blistering fast at makro. Maybe its internet or server related to. I mea can you tell me what was slow for you ?

I mean if you have your phone ready with the app open and scan its seconds is it not ?

Yes, had phone ready. It did take a while to open the app, so perhaps I should fire it up more in advance next time. But it didn't process the payment as quickly as I expected. Perhaps it's the download/upload speed on my phone, I don't pay a lot for it. Anyway, I like the facility and will use it more often. Thank you for raising the topic.

53 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, had phone ready. It did take a while to open the app, so perhaps I should fire it up more in advance next time. But it didn't process the payment as quickly as I expected. Perhaps it's the download/upload speed on my phone, I don't pay a lot for it. Anyway, I like the facility and will use it more often. Thank you for raising the topic.

So what is the process for promptpay? for QR code its easy, scan the QR code

On 12/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, pseudorabies said:

I have yet to see payment by phone go nearly as smoothly as cash or credit card.  But maybe the transaction goes smoothly and quickly when I am not behind people using this method of payment.  

I think the speed of the phone payment depends on the app. For example, you open the Bangkok Bank app and select scan and THEN it asks for the user to log-in. Depending on the internet connection (I find their app is slow on the 5Gb home Wi-Fi), it may be another 10 seconds or so before the option to check the amount and approve the charge pops open. One could always save time by logging into the app as soon as you are the next customer to be served at the checkout but then the app may time out or the users phone still has the default time-out (black screen) setting and one has to start all over. That's like the digital equivalent of the lady digging around for her purse for the 2 baht 75 satang AFTER all 23 purchases have been rung up.

I have finally been able to figure out what promtpay is. Its nothing more then to link your bank account to a phone number. Once you have done that in your Kasikorn app you can then send money to other people with nothing more then their phone number. This can be quite easy and is in use a lot. 

A friend showed me how to activate it and it works like a charm. Then you dont have to generate a QR code to pay. He told me many shops even in the provinces of Thailand use it (like the mom and pop shops). It all depends of course on the person and you need a banking app. 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, pseudorabies said:

I have yet to see payment by phone go nearly as smoothly as cash or credit card.  But maybe the transaction goes smoothly and quickly when I am not behind people using this method of payment.  

using your phone to pay for anything anywhere is normal practice in China, never need cash while i am there,

On 12/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, robblok said:

I was comparing QR code to creditcard. Not debit card to creditcard. Plus you need a pin for a debit card. (unless you got a creditcard to your debit card)

With a QR code nobody gets your info you scan and pay done. 

So what about people who have no smart phone they can starve to dead?

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have finally been able to figure out what promtpay is. Its nothing more then to link your bank account to a phone number. Once you have done that in your Kasikorn app you can then send money to other people with nothing more then their phone number. This can be quite easy and is in use a lot. 

A friend showed me how to activate it and it works like a charm. Then you dont have to generate a QR code to pay. He told me many shops even in the provinces of Thailand use it (like the mom and pop shops). It all depends of course on the person and you need a banking app. 

Yes we know it's linked to the phone number, I have promptpay but how does the payment process work at a shop? you give the shop the phone number?

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

So what about people who have no smart phone they can starve to dead?

Who knows not my problem, i mean their choice. I never said cash should cease to exist. I am pointing out how much easier it is for most people. Those who still use cash can do so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes we know it's linked to the phone number, I have promptpay but how does the payment process work at a shop? you give the shop the phone number?

No the shop gives you their phone number. You key it in their banking details pop up. So they don't have to generate a QR code. Then after their banking details pop up you enter the amount you want to send and done. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:37 AM, robblok said:

Depends on the user for me it goes faster then paying with cash and receiving cash back.

At makro you just point at the screen it has the bill amount and everything just click click click. But yes you do have to get the phone ready not like some who dont. But same goes for cards. But especially credit cards are slow waiting for a machine to accept it get a signed paper back ect.

Yes, the problem is when some people get their phones out to pay, they see messages and get distracted.

I get into the banking App ready to pay, and then it's quicker than waiting for the credit card machine to phone home, or waiting for change.

But I have added a few safety procedures.  Two step ID using fingerprint reader followed by pin, and I switch off WIFI in case it connects to a public WIFI.  

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Are you one of 'most people' as you seem to have had many questions of how it's done / used.

if you consider yourself to be tech savvy then imagine how some one who is not tech savvy find it....

The QR code i knew how to use, promtpay i had no clue until today when i asked a friend once explained it was so easy.

But yes for some older people its hard, but to be honest I don't count older people as being tech savvy. Some are others are not. But do remember the whole computer field is quite wide. A few days ago i build a computer with liquid cooling from scratch.

I have always been good with tech stuff and i try to keep up. But I don't know everything, i need to learn new things too. Now that I know what promptpay is and how to activate it its quite easy. But sure you might need some explaining from someone who knows.

Everything in life needs practice, so the first few times you might feel uncomfortable doing it. I judge nobody for not wanting it or not being able too. But the younger generation has no problems with it. I grew up with computers. Any my questions were about the difference between promptpay and qr pay and now i know.

Promptpay is paying an other (or receiving) by simply giving them your phone number or receiving their phone number (you can always pay others but you have to setup your app for receiving.

QR is easier as often it also has the amount of money that needs to be paid after scanning (not always but quite often) At least this is the case by. (what I have so far seen) Makro, Big C, Villa market. I seen it in smaller shops too but dont know if the amount then appears too.

So yes it took me a few times to really get the hang of it. But isnt that the same for most new things you learn.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

The QR code i knew how to use, promtpay i had no clue until today when i asked a friend once explained it was so easy.

But yes for some older people its hard, but to be honest I don't count older people as being tech savvy. Some are others are not. But do remember the whole computer field is quite wide. A few days ago i build a computer with liquid cooling from scratch.

I have always been good with tech stuff and i try to keep up. But I don't know everything, i need to learn new things too. Now that I know what promptpay is and how to activate it its quite easy. But sure you might need some explaining from someone who knows.

Everything in life needs practice, so the first few times you might feel uncomfortable doing it. I judge nobody for not wanting it or not being able too. But the younger generation has no problems with it. I grew up with computers. Any my questions were about the difference between promptpay and qr pay and now i know.

Promptpay is paying an other (or receiving) by simply giving them your phone number or receiving their phone number (you can always pay others but you have to setup your app for receiving.

QR is easier as often it also has the amount of money that needs to be paid after scanning (not always but quite often) At least this is the case by. (what I have so far seen) Makro, Big C, Villa market. I seen it in smaller shops too but dont know if the amount then appears too.

So yes it took me a few times to really get the hang of it. But isnt that the same for most new things you learn.

A lot of older people or persons that are tech savvy don't have the patience for this.

I agree it's easy, sometime too easy.

I still prefer cash, paying by QR code / promptpay or countless others it feels like you're getting stuff for free....

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Agree .... it takes a couple of goes to be confident with mobile payments,  but it's the future.  I was working in Korea last year, and very few people use cash now, and if you try, the faffing to try and find some change takes an age.

I don't agree with some of the comments about us 'old people'.  Like many people my age, we were early adopters of PC's in the workplace, before Windows 1 made is simple.  We used to type code into our ZX Spectrums and C64's to play Lunar Lander, we were the first to have personal email accounts, saw the dawn on the internet, early adopters of Skype video calls, and could communicate in pager codes.

The 'young people' are mainly just consumers of user-friendly tech, us old-uns had to learn Fortran and DOS.

So when I wanted to develop a website linked to a mobile audit App for my business, I did it myself. 

Todays 'old people' grew up learning how to adapt technology for their needs, rather than being told what to do by the technology.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

A lot of older people or persons that are tech savvy don't have the patience for this.

I still prefer cash, paying by QR code / promptpay or countless others it feels like you're getting stuff for free....

That is your choice and preference and I respect it for others its just easier. Nobody is forcing you (yet) and it won't be me forcing anyone. 

16 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Agree .... it takes a couple of goes to be confident with mobile payments,  but it's the future.  I was working in Korea last year, and very few people use cash now, and if you try, the faffing to try and find some change takes an age.

I don't agree with some of the comments about us 'old people'.  Like many people my age, we were early adopters of PC's in the workplace, before Windows 1 made is simple.  We used to type code into our ZX Spectrums and C64's to play Lunar Lander, we were the first to have personal email accounts, saw the dawn on the internet, early adopters of Skype video calls, and could communicate in pager codes.

The 'young people' are mainly just consumers of user-friendly tech, us old-uns had to learn Fortran and DOS.

So when I wanted to develop a website linked to a mobile audit App for my business, I did it myself. 

Todays 'old people' grew up learning how to adapt technology for their needs, rather than being told what to do by the technology.

Did you not read that i said for SOME older people. I mean there are enough on this forum who are quite skilled. 

I also had a commodore 64 and 16 and commodore Amiga. 

True it took a lot more effort in the old days i totally agree everything is far more user friendly now. I still remember DOS i learned programming on my commodore 16 and 64. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did you not read that i said for SOME older people. I mean there are enough on this forum who are quite skilled. 

I also had a commodore 64 and 16 and commodore Amiga. 

True it took a lot more effort in the old days i totally agree everything is far more user friendly now. I still remember DOS i learned programming on my commodore 16 and 64. 

Yes, and in practice that means many of us older types are more tech savvy than many Millennials. When I started to build a trading web site with App integration, I realised most the current developers use building blocks such as React Native or Flutter to develop their sites.  Few people revert to actual coding.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Yea, however (and i recently found this out) the moment you pay you can assign a catagorie to that spending. So later you can even see per month how much you spend on what. It does make payment a few seconds slower. But with cash you have absolutely no track of what you spend it on. 

I like the feature now i use that too so i can get a bit of insight in what i spend things on. Though i got a pretty good idea already. But its useful.