The march forward with paying through QR codes

7 hours ago, treetops said:

There's an app for that too surprisingly enough.

image.png.a310be814ce8e107ef2fc84f18dbf626.png

I think it might be a bit more complicated but sure if you are willing and take the time that would work too. You can track anything as long as you write it down or register it at the moment of spending.. 

Im now using the feature just to see if its useful or not.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, robblok said:

There will always be people like you but they are dying out. However my GF came with a bit of a sad story. In Singapore they sometimes dont even accept cash even more. Even hawkers and her mom did not really know how to set it up. So when she called she told a story about how she often wanted to eat some chicken from KFC but could not as she did not have the APP. 

I think that cash should remain for older people and people like you who just don't like it but i see it slowly being phased out.

I'm a cash man, I love money, I'm not afraid to carry it. You say paying with QR code is easier, just wondering how you figure paying with cash is harder or less convenient. Having a pocket full of cash makes me feel good. Go to ATM pull out 20K, spend, repeat. Easy peasy

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm a cash man, I love money, I'm not afraid to carry it. You say paying with QR code is easier, just wondering how you figure paying with cash is harder or less convenient. Having a pocket full of cash makes me feel good. Go to ATM pull out 20K, spend, repeat. Easy peasy

I don't have anything against cash as such, but like it when i pay with QR goes faster then giving money hoping you got enough. (i dont always check what i have in my wallet). Plus i would have go to an ATM to get cash. Phone is always there. 

Just makes sure that the cash i do have stays there longer for things that only go work with cash. Its a preference, to each his or her own id say.  I don't like lugging around with all that small change. I always have a phone. I will always have some cash in my wallet but just have to visit an ATM less frequent. 

I think it depends a bit on lifestyle too, i don't think people will pay in a bar with QR or pay a bargirl with QR ????. I mean i mostly use it for my grocery shopping and stuff. Saves me having to carry all those coins and making sure there is enough change.

Just for me more convenient, not for you end of it. I mean its like discussing what is your favorite food can never be settled. But its fast, keeps my wallet empty from coins and such. Easy to record what i spend.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, zyphodb said:

These banks, literally have a license to print money and make huge profits as it is. I don't think that they need the extra it's all about control. I don't want them to have the power to switch your money off if you do something that they don't like, they have too much power with the fractional reserve banking system already...

You do make a good point, but although I am now using my bank app to pay for purchases, I will always have cash. I am not in favour of a cashless society. You will always have the threat of a bank switching your money off even by mistake.

Only yesterday I got my phone ready to make a purchase and a notice came up saying something like I had been on my phone too long and I was getting switched off, I had not even used the phone.

I started again and it was OK, the notice was not there.

• Like 1

the only problem so far with going cardless and QR only is that one start to rely on the cardless withdrawal using QR at the ATMs means you're locked in to your own bank's ATM

they'll probably standardize on QR withdrawal at the ATM soon enough

On 12/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, poohy said:

totally disagree it can be painful 

A few days ago Watching Somchai do a cashless withdrawal at a BKK bank atm

EFF me  i could have flown back to UK to get money from there quicker

I don't dispute that (seen it myself), but if done properly, it's actually faster than using a card. When I visit my usual ATM at a shopping mall, I prepare the withdrawal on the app while I'm riding the escalator up. I hardly spend any time in front of the ATM.

Ultimately the new process just takes some getting used to,  and an increasing number of Somchais will get better at it, too. ????