The march forward with paying through QR codes

I still like to use my credit card as I may not always have enough money in my Thai bank account  saves me getting money I have in my UK bank. 

lately they just stick the card over screen or in a slot and all done no signature no pin number once the shop you use has used your card. 

I pay with QR Code relatively frequently, in a pub or bar etc 

I usually end up paying with a QR Code when don’t have enough cash on me which is happening more and more frequently recently as I’m making QR or CreditCard payments. 

I use CreditCard payments more than anything else, as does the Wife - we do so because we get a lot of points (CitiBank Royal Orchid Plus - gets us points for flights / or SCB M Card - gets us points to use for significant discounts in the malls). 

BUT... I do have one criticism of using cards in Thailand - the ‘contactless payment’ option never works. 

I have contactless payments on all my cards and Bank ATM Card - nowhere seems to accept it whenever I try.

16 minutes ago, itsari said:

QR codes make sense . I have  a problem with using the QR code system where there is no wifi available as i do not have the internet account on my phone .

Some people don’t have smart phones, they can’t use the QR code payment....  

... I think this adequately makes that pointless point to add to the pointless point above !!!.... 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some people don’t have smart phones, they can’t use the QR code payment....  

... I think this adequately makes that pointless point to add to the pointless point above !!!.... 

You seem somewhat confused  in your post .

I have a smart phone but when I have no wifi available then my smart phone becomes not so smart like your good self

Fully agree with the OP, I'm loving QR code payments as well. Nowadays I rarely use any cards, both for payments in shops and for ATM withdrawals.

I've also reduced cash payments to the point that I'm pretty much carrying it as a backup, plus for a number of small payments (that could now often also be done by QR code though).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, userabcd said:

Its not really about using the tech, that could easily be managed, it is just an old fashioned phobia about being private when purchasing/paying for stuff.

No.. it's plainly and clearly about this i'm-being-followed paranoia and, on an even more pernicious scale, exporting this Karen-esque approach from the nanny state where, during my years of living and studying there, one can't help but notice a stubborn predisposition to rebelliousness and chronic cynicism.

18 hours ago, itsari said:

You seem somewhat confused  in your post .

I have a smart phone but when I have no wifi available then my smart phone becomes not so smart like your good self

1,500bht/year for 100GB/month SIM. Why cripple your smart phone?

Just pay and enjoy unlimited banking/mapping/comms wherever you go.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, robblok said:

True, there will be problems, but i did not say i was for phasing out cash just saying it happens.

But for companies in my country its important as it cost money to deposit money on the bank if cash also getting cash costs money this is cheaper for them. So for companies its a blessing. 

These banks, literally have a license to print money and make huge profits as it is. I don't think that they need the extra it's all about control. I don't want them to have the power to switch your money off if you do something that they don't like, they have too much power with the fractional reserve banking system already...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

These banks, literally have a license to print money and make huge profits as it is. I don't think that they need the extra it's all about control. I don't want them to have the power to switch your money off if you do something that they don't like, they have too much power with the fractional reserve banking system already...

Unless you keep your money in a box under the bed the banks can still 'switch off you money' whenever they like. Then in the UK they keep changing the bank notes, so even money under the bed isn't that effective.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Same. Also, I only access the internet at home on my Wi-Fi and the only way I'd have access to the internet while shopping is if they have Wi-Fi there. And while you're fiddling around to get connected you could pay cash, be out the door and driving off.

True its not for everyone especially not for those who don't have a cellular or wife connection at that point. I never said its a perfect solution.

31 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

all in my home country, and transferring money to replenish my Thai account - even with a service like Wise - involves costs and complications that don't exist when I just use a home country credit card and pay the bill through direct debit from a home country bank account (and I also usually get cash back from every card purchase)

But then everyone knows where you are.

And if you're a Brit your state pension gets frozen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:
3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same. Also, I only access the internet at home on my Wi-Fi and the only way I'd have access to the internet while shopping is if they have Wi-Fi there. And while you're fiddling around to get connected you could pay cash, be out the door and driving off.

True its not for everyone especially not for those who don't have a cellular or wife connection at that point. I never said its a perfect solution.

I can certainly see the advantage, but I've never found the need to use a QR code. I'll probably come round to it eventually. My wife went to China and the city she visited pretty much didn't accept cash at all. Be the same everywhere soon. I enjoyed using contactless in the UK, but I've only ever used cash here.

Actually, I've handled cash probably no more than a couple of times since the pandemic began. Haven't travelled anywhere, and I let my wife handle paying for the shopping and other bills. Out of my account, of course ????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can certainly see the advantage, but I've never found the need to use a QR code. I'll probably come round to it eventually. My wife went to China and the city she visited pretty much didn't accept cash at all. Be the same everywhere soon. I enjoyed using contactless in the UK, but I've only ever used cash here.

Actually, I've handled cash probably no more than a couple of times since the pandemic began. Haven't travelled anywhere, and I let my wife handle paying for the shopping and other bills. Out of my account, of course ????

I don't see the advantages for payments at a market stall, as that can be time consuming. But the bigger shops usually have a QR code that includes the amount of money that you have to pay. Then it really goes fast and is easy.

I never leave the house without my phone (not for qr payments but for many other stuff too).  Never lost a phone yet (knock on wood).

For me cash is often end up with loads of coins and stuff. Plus its just so much easier. But it does require a bit of getting used too.

You were right about China I heard about that too there is almost no way to pay without cash.

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Yes, it's great, watching people using their phones to try and pay at the supermarkets is like watching an epsidoe of Benny Hill on the telly. First open teh app, then try and focus the camera onto the QR code, then find that something didn't work so shut it all down and start again. Something goes wrong the second time too, so the customer finds a Thai friend or teelac who can help them. We now have incompetence by committee at work, and so naturally the store manager has to get involved too. With the cashier craning her neck to offer helpful suggestions, seven people finally manage to approve payment of 115 Baht via a QR code. You never see this sort of hilarious foolery at play when people pay by cash and are finished within seconds, it's so selfish of them not to give all the other customers a good laugh as well as a nice rest for 10 minutes while the QR code committee are busy at work. 

If the contactless payment worked (just by tapping your card (RFID) the transaction would take a matter of 2-3 seconds.

Given, the QR code is often slower because of the steps involved, the natural progression (which is already in play) is payment from a person phone or watch via RIFD.

Ultimately, who needs to carry around a wallet at all ?

We’ve already done away with the house key (smart doorlock with opens with my phone or a code)

Keyless entry in the car (still a key though). 

All thats really needed is that ‘mini-computer’ which we carry around, it does everything.

Of course, major hassle if we loose it, but thats what ‘cloud storage’ is for.

So.. whats the cost of progression: A handful of people slowing others down until they get used to a system. 

And less stuff to carry about. 

22 minutes ago, Guderian said:

First open the app, then try and focus the camera onto the QR code, then find that something didn't work so shut it all down and start again.

Mine usually scans the QR code while I'm lifting my phone up to it.

Never had any problems, the only time delay is while I type in my 6 digit confirmation.

Mostly quicker than the delivery driver looking for change.

As for filling my bank book, stopped updating that when I got the bank app on my phone.

I just pay 100bht for a 3 month bank statement at the same time I get my bank letter for immigration.

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

Agreed. Like most retired people on this forum, my funds (other than the 800k for my extension and some overage for random expenses) are all in my home country, and transferring money to replenish my Thai account - even with a service like Wise - involves costs and complications that don't exist when I just use a home country credit card and pay the bill through direct debit from a home country bank account (and I also usually get cash back from every card purchase).

Using the QR method also fills my bankbook with dozens of little debits that take up pages that then have to be photocopied for immigration, which is a minor annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.

Finally, the QR method is indeed fairly seamless when you use it with a company that has fully integrated the system with their register so that all you have to do is scan their code and you're done. For the 99% of small businesses that haven't done that, payment involves scanning the code, entering an amount, entering the bank PIN, showing the merchant the confirmation slip (or sending it to them online), and sometimes having them take a photo of it. In those cases, it's not particularly quick or easy at all.

The tap-and-go system works perfectly in large stores like Tops and Big C, though the allowable amount is capped (by the Bank of Thailand, I believe), meaning it can't be used for larger purchases (over about 1500 or 2000 baht, I think). 

For everyone else, though, you're quite right. Either they have an ancient point-of-sale terminal that doesn't allow for contactless payments, or - more often - the terminal has that capability, but the staff have no idea how to use it.

Well I'm not going to use it is not not suited to my needs. 

My Mrs pays the bills using her phone I just bung money in her bank. 

Edited by Kwasaki

I love it as well, BUT last Saturday we bought some stuff and I paid via the Banking APP and immediately after I pressed oke to pay, the APP gave an error and I got no confirmation and also NO slip saved in my Photo Gallery.

But I got an instant SMS from the Bank that the money had been deducted.

So the cashier had to call the accounting people to see if the money actually arrived in their account.

Fortunately my bank also sends an email after each transaction and after the cashier send a screenshot of this email to the accounting people it was solved quickly, but all in all this took well over 30 min to get the confirmation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, pseudorabies said:

I have yet to see payment by phone go nearly as smoothly as cash or credit card.  But maybe the transaction goes smoothly and quickly when I am not behind people using this method of payment. 

Yeah totally agree. It is so much faster to unzip your Fanny pack, dig for your money, dig for the correct change, close the fanny pack, try to get the money/change off the tray without dropping it. Not to say the money and change that has passed thru a 1000 hands has to be cleaner  than the phone that only you touch. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I pay with QR Code relatively frequently, in a pub or bar etc 

I usually end up paying with a QR Code when don’t have enough cash on me which is happening more and more frequently recently as I’m making QR or CreditCard payments. 

I use CreditCard payments more than anything else, as does the Wife - we do so because we get a lot of points (CitiBank Royal Orchid Plus - gets us points for flights / or SCB M Card - gets us points to use for significant discounts in the malls). 

BUT... I do have one criticism of using cards in Thailand - the ‘contactless payment’ option never works. 

I have contactless payments on all my cards and Bank ATM Card - nowhere seems to accept it whenever I try.

Contactless scares me and I even told Barclays in the UK not to give me contactless on my card.

I mean if somebody loses it or somebody steals it, they can have a field day as nobody is checking and verifying who you are or am I wrong?

• Like 2