The march forward with paying through QR codes

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

Don't like this and will hold out for a s long as possible.

Still prefer my privacy rather than all the things purchased and location ending up listed on an itemised bank statement.

It is not really a trouble to withdraw money at an ATM and then pay cash here and there, thank goodness for that.

There will always be people like you but they are dying out. However my GF came with a bit of a sad story. In Singapore they sometimes dont even accept cash even more. Even hawkers and her mom did not really know how to set it up. So when she called she told a story about how she often wanted to eat some chicken from KFC but could not as she did not have the APP. 

I think that cash should remain for older people and people like you who just don't like it but i see it slowly being phased out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pseudorabies said:

I have yet to see payment by phone go nearly as smoothly as cash or credit card.  But maybe the transaction goes smoothly and quickly when I am not behind people using this method of payment.  

Depends on the user for me it goes faster then paying with cash and receiving cash back.

At makro you just point at the screen it has the bill amount and everything just click click click. But yes you do have to get the phone ready not like some who dont. But same goes for cards. But especially credit cards are slow waiting for a machine to accept it get a signed paper back ect.

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

There will always be people like you but they are dying out. However my GF came with a bit of a sad story. In Singapore they sometimes dont even accept cash even more. Even hawkers and her mom did not really know how to set it up. So when she called she told a story about how she often wanted to eat some chicken from KFC but could not as she did not have the APP. 

I think that cash should remain for older people and people like you who just don't like it but i see it slowly being phased out.

Its not really about using the tech, that could easily be managed, it is just an old fashioned phobia about being private when purchasing/paying for stuff.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Its not really about using the tech, that could easily be managed, it is just a old fashioned phobia about being private when purchasing/paying for stuff.

Unless doing a drug deal or other illegall stuff i dont really mind.  (for the record im not doing drugs deals and so on but if i were then that would not go through an app)

• Like 1

Just now, phetphet said:

I don't agree with cash being phased out at all. It gives more control to governments, and none of these computerised systems work 100%.

Even recently there have been cases of bank's computer systems going down, leaving people that are all in on electronic payment without the ability to buy food or pay bills.

True, there will be problems, but i did not say i was for phasing out cash just saying it happens.

But for companies in my country its important as it cost money to deposit money on the bank if cash also getting cash costs money this is cheaper for them. So for companies its a blessing. 

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

True, there will be problems, but i did not say i was for phasing out cash just saying it happens.

But for companies in my country its important as it cost money to deposit money on the bank if cash also getting cash costs money this is cheaper for them. So for companies its a blessing. 

Don't know if all this electronic stuff is cheaper. Don't know if they have evaluated the costs or not.

Most of the costs have probably been pushed onto the account holders/app users somehow and it is easier for them.

Certainly all those computer systems, software, updates, auditing, maintenance and the whole army of staff to support that still costs a lot of money.

Edited by userabcd

3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Don't know if all this electronic stuff is cheaper. Don't know if they have evaluated the costs or not.

Most of the costs have probably been pushed onto the account holders/app users somehow and it is easier for them.

Certainly all those computer systems, software, auditing, maintenance and the whole army of staff to support that still costs a lot of money.

As an accountant who sees this often there are definitely costs, but they pale in comparison to depositing cash and getting cash.

For companies its actually a lot better to have it going through those systems usually the software they use automatically put orders on paid and book it in their software. Compare that with having to look for debtors on an individual base (people forgetting to put an invoice number on their payment or paying from an other account with an other name and forgetting their invoice number. 

That is all far more work. Believe me this is a huge cost saving for most companies. Especially compared to credit cards, and I don't pay any extra using this app at all. No extra bank charges nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

How come they can get this to work but most online IT is a cock up here? I don't use it and don't trust it.

Your choice, nobody is forcing you to use it. Do you use a Thai bank ? and if so do you have an app on your phone for it ?

If not then yea cant use it and it will not work.

But most IT is a cock up but this is made by the banking systems (not that they are as good as in the west) But they are much better then the apps that the Thai government puts out. But that is because of nepotism, in banks quality is important not nepotism.

1 minute ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Agree with that. I went to buy shoes at Decathlon and they refused to sell them to me unless I gave a phone number or email. I held out the cash multiple times asking if they wanted a sale or not. NO. Easy to give them a fake number, but the point is that who I am is none of their business. Just sell me the shoes!

For me its easy for warrantee decathlon you dont need the bill just your email. That is the advantage of it for the customer. 

Else set an email up for stuff like this with fake details works too and you still get your warrantee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I understand the ease and convenience of electronic money. for the banks it is indeed a blessing. Less staff, less bank branches, less ATM's etc.

Of course cash is more expensive. It has to be designed to be secure against counterfeit, printed, (or stamped in the case of coins), transported, and kept secure by guards and vaults, and issued to the public. Then once it has served it lifetime it has to be destroyed.

All this costs the government and banks a fortune.

Then there is the lack of control over who has it and what they do with it. Black money, criminal money, and the big one: untaxed money.

Going 100% cashless would solve a lot of these problems while at the same time giving the government total control of their public's income and expenditure, but also massive amounts of data on their whereabouts and spending habits and who knows what else they can glean from all this...

Think a government might not tell you how, where and what you can spend your money on?

The Australian government already trialled a cashless debit card for pensioners in some areas that could only be used in government authorised outlets, and could not be used to buy certain goods such as beer. 

So they could only buy what the government allowed, even though that might be more expensive than elsewhere.

I believe the trial is now being shelved, but it shows what can happen.

For me a dual system such as we have now is best, but the creep of cashless is increasing. Aided funnily enough by the pandemic.

Now back to ordering my shopping online.????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I prefer to use cash so I can see how much I am spending. It feels more real when I can see the money disappearing from my wallet rather than a number being taken away from my bank balance. I only really pay with QR codes when the sellers ask me to. No big deal to occasionally use them. 

Actually if you have a banking app you can link the payment to what kind of spending it is gives you a nice oversight (not that i use that) But my gf does. (talking about THai app)

Just now, mokwit said:

Having waited over a minute in front of somebody paying for 2 moo ping and a bag of sticky rice I couldn't help but wonder why he couldn't have just handed over Bt30 cash. Same in the supermarkets - can't you just give the cashier Bt100 ad she can give you change in seconds?

OK under COVID I am more accepting because it is more sensible both for Covid safety and safety from things transmitted by the oral-faecal route (yes you read that right - wash your hands after handling old banknotes)

But in makro it takes less time then you giving cash and getting it back. Its different if you dont have your phone handy. But I mean its the same as having money in your hand to pay. But at those small sellers you also have to add the amount. So it could go slower.

But if you have only a 1000 and want to pay the moo ping seller then im sure the QR code will go faster. So it all depends.

In makro im 100% sure it beats cash and all other stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have had the same experience on many occasions, and once or twice have moved to another checkout queue because the person using their smart phone to pay, seem incapable of making it work, so standing in line whilst they fiddle around with it delays my checkout exit somewhat.

Meanwhile, when I get to the till, I hand over a 1000 baht note (for example) and get the change back within a matter of seconds. Nice and easy.

Sure but then you got idiots that dont have the cash handy ore are looking for their credit card. Its all about the user.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

But in makro it takes less time then you giving cash and getting it back. Its different if you dont have your phone handy. But I mean its the same as having money in your hand to pay. But at those small sellers you also have to add the amount. So it could go slower.

But if you have only a 1000 and want to pay the moo ping seller then im sure the QR code will go faster. So it all depends.

In makro im 100% sure it beats cash and all other stuff.

It ain't like that in Foodland. Also you have to wait while they reel off their membership number (general gripe, that is irrespective of payment method).

Edited by mokwit