Thailand reports 2,862 new COVID-19 cases, 37 deaths, 4,818 recoveries

webfact

COV14.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Tuesday (December 14) reported 2,862 new COVID-19 cases, 4,818 recoveries and 37 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 2,845. Prisons: 17

▶︎ Recoveries: 4,818

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,146,043

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 2,078,718

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,174,906 with 21,231 deaths.

The news comes as the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has decided to speed up the mass provision of COVID-19 vaccine booster shots, to guard against the potentially serious symptoms of the Omicron variant.

CCSA Spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin said today (Monday) that the variant has already spread to many countries and it has been reported that three doses of vaccine can help reduce the risk of hospitalisation and death.

In Thailand, he said that only 4.1 million people, or 5.5% of the population, have received three shots and 97 million doses of vaccines have been administered so far.

*Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update14DEC).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-14

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 2,862 official new infections. 37 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 2,471 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 5,333

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 12th Dec) and bar chart of both PCR and ATK totals

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.364736f97d502e06e62cce733f2ae206.png

image.png.7dcbe6868d6df2263dd167623de8fbf4.png

Almost as many ATK positives as actual cases.  However, the numbers are dropping albeit very slowly.  Not sure what the reason for not posting the tests they are doing as far as the amounts.  Additionally, the slowdown in vaccinations is also a concern for this Government who wants 100 million so badly that they are now going to offer boosters to people after just 3 months because of Omicron.  One wonders how this will play out for foreigners such as myself and a few others on the forum who were given their second jab of AZ just now 3 months ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Almost as many ATK positives as actual cases.  However, the numbers are dropping albeit very slowly.  Not sure what the reason for not posting the tests they are doing as far as the amounts.  Additionally, the slowdown in vaccinations is also a concern for this Government who wants 100 million so badly that they are now going to offer boosters to people after just 3 months because of Omicron.  One wonders how this will play out for foreigners such as myself and a few others on the forum who were given their second jab of AZ just now 3 months ago.

Yes, I am in the same position with a booster shot due January.

Brian has possibly done the most sensible course of action by purchasing a shot of Moderna.

For us foreigners who are due for a booster, 3 months, it's again just a matter of waiting for news.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Yes, I am in the same position with a booster shot due January.

Brian has possibly done the most sensible course of action by purchasing a shot of Moderna.

For us foreigners who are due for a booster, 3 months, it's again just a matter of waiting for news.

Off-topic
Whilst the death toll climbs to 75 with 3,341 injuries":

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1470569845557133317

UPDATE: 2,862 confirmed cases, 2,843 probable cases (ATK), and 37 deaths (0.98%). Out of 47,531 patients , 23,218 are in hospital, 20,166 in hospitel and 2,521 in home/community isolation. There are 1,039 in a serious condition (-22) with 296 on ventilators (-11) #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1470569015839920129

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Off-topic
Whilst the death toll climbs to 75 with 3,341 injuries":

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1470569845557133317

Yesterday seemed to be a big travel day.  The flights to Udon Thani and back to BKK were full. 

Having to get checked prior to flying with your Vaccination certificate and Mor Prom app was necessary and they did also scan to ensure the proper masks were being worn and not those with the valves.

It's about time they did some mass-testing at, say, a large seafood market where most of the workers are, perhaps, Burmese. They got caught with their pants down a year ago by the Samut Sakhon outbreak, they need to be vigilant, not patting themselves on the back at a great job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chonburi announces 136 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and two new deaths

Highlights:

• 136 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Chonburi today

• 175 people recovered and were released from medical care

• Two new deaths

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/12/14/chonburi-announces-136-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-two-new-deaths/

266754986_2204657949686023_1146544533335442507_n.jpg

Edited by anchadian

If they start testing so much that they hit 10% positive PCR tests and 90% negative, we will have a more accurate daily number of positives.

Getting it down to 5% will be even better, but 10 % is a start.

Here in Finland they give booster shot (third shot) after 6 month from second shot. But they have talked that they maybe chance that to 5 month. I wait booster shot before coming home, but seems that travel restrictions coming in play again. Have been now in Finland 1 year and one month.

Norway has awful sitiation ,over 5000 case/day in country where have 5,4 million people.

Omicron variant has landed  there.  Hopely that variant not so dangerous than delta or others. Norway anyway stop to serve alcohol in restaurants for 4 weeks. More restrictions coming everywhere. Many country will follow!

Covid passport has loose it purpose coz omicron infect everybody even has get 2 jabs. And only 10% here has get booster shot.

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I wonder how many of the ATK are students. We are not hearing anything about school outbreaks but this is surely happening.

Definitely, a school near us was recently closed because many of the students were testing positive. It had only been reopened a couple of weeks.

Back in the UK covid has been ripping through my grandkids schools recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

Thai-PBS-World-logo-9-1.jpg

The provincial prison in Thailand’s northern province of Phitsanulok has been closed to all visitors since Monday after 1,559 of the 2,190 prisoners there tested positive for COVID-19 using antigen tests.

Wonder how long they have holding onto this one.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/71-of-inmates-in-phitsanulok-prison-found-infected-with-covid-19/

i can't see that this report has been tweeted which is rather unusual for ThaiPBS.  Furthermore, it's not as yet reported in the main news section?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

i can't see that this report has been tweeted which is rather unusual for ThaiPBS.  Furthermore, it's not as yet reported in the main news section?

My mistake, it was tweeted over 5 hrs ago but still not in the main news section.

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Do we smell it possibly being buried? or a threat of Fake news being told to those that publish it without confirmation of the tests as it could be considered scaremongering to Thai folks.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do we smell it possibly being buried? or a threat of Fake news being told to those that publish it without confirmation of the tests as it could be considered scaremongering to Thai folks.

As Tonto once said. 'What u mean We?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Virt said:

If they start testing so much that they hit 10% positive PCR tests and 90% negative, we will have a more accurate daily number of positives.

Getting it down to 5% will be even better, but 10 % is a start.

Shhhh. Don't look, don't find, nothing to see here, everything good. Just wait for the sick to come to us.

Following on from some of the above posts is the strange non reporting that has been going on since the 66 cases reported on 11th Dec! On 13th my wife saw through her reading from another more local report that there was 24 cases in Bang Saphan and 44 in Bang Saphan Noi. Add these figures into the rest of the Province could have been interesting. Anyway whichever way, the figures are well down today.

Health officials on Tuesday (Dec 14) reported 30 new COVID-19 cases, 20 of which were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 2 cases were found in Pranburi, zero cases in Sam Roi Yot, zero cases in Kuiburi, zero cases in Thap Sakae, 1 case in Bang Saphan, zero cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 7 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Dec 14: Prachuap reports 30 new COVID-19 cases, 20 cases in Hua Hin - Hua Hin Today English Newspaper Info, Reports, Events and News Social Life

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My entire school and staff were asked to test Sunday night? That is over 1000 people. And I'm sure many other schools are doing this. Ive had tests over the span of a month. But none of these negatives are reported to the government. Only the positive results. There would be hundreds of thousands of atk's done daily here. A coupel of thousand positive atk's is nothing. 

• Thanks 1