Immigration bust foreigners partying in Bangkok amid "Omicron" fears

webfact

3 hours ago, arick said:

Where calling blacks coloured  now... 

Problem is that people of my generation remember it being the accepted term for referring to African looking people. Referring to them as "black" was considered racist. There've been many PC terms used over the years, I honestly don't know what the current one is. 

"White" person has never changed, as indeed it shouldn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kelly Davy said:

Whoever is responsible for writing this news is a disgraced to humanity. It’s unfortunate to see a clear and blatant racism and yet people are ok with it. How is this ok “They had been servicing the dark skinned community for the last month” or this “The media in their headline as well as immigration on a vinyl board called it a party for "colored" people”. 
Are they not humans? I bet you couldn’t hide your racist views. I don’t think I have read on this platform about thais been arrested in similar gathering and been referred to as “Party of Yellow or brown people”.  This is just so wrong. 

Totally agree 

1 hour ago, fangless said:

What shipping container is big enough to hold a Pool Table worth playing on?

Worth playing on - guess it depends if nothing else available.

Lots of smaller pool tables in bars in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Clarkey611 said:

So Iassume they police and immigration will investigate, and prosecute the people responsible for modifying the container with the same diligence they used to find the foreigners? Or is that wishful thinking since it will probably be Thais?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To our Newbie who thinks this report is disgraceful, have you noticed that you are in Thailand. Everyone in Thailand is distinctly tribal, my Female friend in Bangkok considers everything south of Hua Hin peasant country and as for Issan , enough said.

We as Falangs are fair game and anyone who isn't Thai is also subject to discrimination not only P O C ( just being politically correct).  T I T  remember .

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, Kelly Davy said:

Whoever is responsible for writing this news is a disgraced to humanity. It’s unfortunate to see a clear and blatant racism and yet people are ok with it. How is this ok “They had been servicing the dark skinned community for the last month” or this “The media in their headline as well as immigration on a vinyl board called it a party for "colored" people”. 
Are they not humans? I bet you couldn’t hide your racist views. I don’t think I have read on this platform about thais been arrested in similar gathering and been referred to as “Party of Yellow or brown people”.  This is just so wrong. 

Ok calm down Karen it's hardly racist <deleted>  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Problem is that people of my generation remember it being the accepted term for referring to African looking people. Referring to them as "black" was considered racist. There've been many PC terms used over the years, I honestly don't know what the current one is. 

"White" person has never changed, as indeed it shouldn't. 

Yep, colored was standard when I grew up.  Haven't a clue what PC  now.  Saw a 'town hall' setting talk show, and 'mc' used black, and was called on it, then colored, people of color, was mentioned as alternative, and different folks thought all were offensive.  Strangely one guy said 'negro' was OK, shocked me, and of course, others disagreed.  All people attending were of 'Africa' origin, well, maybe 3 centuries ago.

I myself, go with 'chocolate' person.  Who doesn't love chocolate, and even different adjective for different skin tones.  Milk to Dark chocolate.

Personally, I think, if use any label, unnecessarily, is offensive.  Only if asked by police what color the perp was, so they don't shoot wrong person, would skin color be necessary.

2 hours ago, fangless said:

What shipping container is big enough to hold a Pool Table worth playing on?

Normal Container sizes are all 8 feet (2.44 m) wide, and of either 20 or 40 feet (6.10 or 12.19 m)

Pool tables come in different sizes, typically referred to as 9-foot (2.7 m), 8.5 ft (2.6 m), 8 ft (2.4 m), or 7 ft (2.1 m) tables. In all cases, the table is rectangular with a 2:1 ratio (e.g. 9 × 4.5 ft).

It was a modified shipping container with metal surround,,,,,,

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Flink said:

So Iassume they police and immigration will investigate, and prosecute the people responsible for modifying the container with the same diligence they used to find the foreigners? Or is that wishful thinking since it will probably be Thais?

Is it illegal to modify a container? Or are you just searching for anti Thai ammo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yep, colored was standard when I grew up.  Haven't a clue what PC  now.  Saw a 'town hall' setting talk show, and 'mc' used black, and was called on it, then colored, people of color, was mentioned as alternative, and different folks thought all were offensive.  Strangely one guy said 'negro' was OK, shocked me, and of course, others disagreed.  All people attending were of 'Africa' origin, well, maybe 3 centuries ago.

I myself, go with 'chocolate' person.  Who doesn't love chocolate, and even different adjective for different skin tones.  Milk to Dark chocolate.

Personally, I think, if use any label, unnecessarily, is offensive.  Only if asked by police what color the perp was, so they don't shoot wrong person, would skin color be necessary.

Person of colour is now the term..BTW BAME is out in the UK now

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

BAME ... ????  actually had to google that.  All inclusive was too offensive.

eventually..and the Chinese community in the UK are not aligned with left wing political groups or Muslim or African political groups...For some reason they don't accept the mantle of victimhood. But BAME was big in the UK for the last ten years with many organizations having a full time BAME representative and making headline news 

Omicron so far appears to not only be like a pimple on the cheek of a teenager, but it may be signaling the near end of Covid. All this panic and paranoia, has so far proven to be highly unjustified, and simply more uneducated hysteria. 

In addition, it is encouraging the further destruction of the tourism industry. 

Woe is Thailand. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The rampant racism, and feelings of superiority, based on absolutely nothing real is rearing it's ugly head again. Is this 1951 in the US? Or 2021 in backwards Thailand? 

In regards to what? Thaiglish in the report about the container Shabheen? Most Thai racism is directed at other Thais especially of Lao descent targeting their accents, language and complexion. That prejudice aimed at foreigners, harmless and even charming is not real racism which is rooted in unequal (economic) power balance. But there is no doubt about the lazy stereotype of term 'farang' which reflects a form of racism.

Edited by The Hammer2021

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Lots of big shipping containers. We have bars and restaurants in Shipping containers in Bristol.

Normally all have same width so likely more than 1 put together.

Just like Retox on Soi Lengkee which was extended with 2 shipping containers. Had a full size table in that as well as another in the original part of the bar.

• Thanks 1