Thailand Pass - Its even worse than the COE system.

28 minutes ago, jojothai said:

What insurance company sends you documents in jpg.? and also gets it changed with so little effort?

My insurance policy is a proper full insurance with 5 pages.

Not some one page thai policy worth next to nothing. 

There is a difference between an insurance policy and a certificate, certificates are usually single or double page.

I had my insurance certificate reissued from GBP to USD in less than an hour, although cover will always remain in the companies base currency.

It is quite straightforward to change PDF or other formats to JPEG if necessary.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

I have not seen it mentioned, but there is a company that will obtain the pass for you. Usually in 24 hours. The fee i saw advertised sounded reasonable considering the hassle of doing ityourself?

You still have to get them your documents. So why use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You can scan a document and save it in JPG format thus eliminating reflection

Unfortuntely for passport that is not true.

It states they need a photo.

A scanned docment is not a photo.

Been there and had that problem before rejected.

2 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Turn of the light before taking the photo and there should be no glare or shadow.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Follow the threads  it gives acounts of others. Follow what they said they did, and prepare ahead of time and there is little problem.

So you agree it is not a just a short 5 or 10 minutes here or there.

A jpg is a jpg however it is produced. The OP requires a jpg copy of a document. He's says he is getting glare from his camera phone. I pointed out that jpgs can be created in scanner just as scans can be made in a camera. This is a format issue not a device issue. Alternatively the OP could adjust the lighting appropriately just as we all do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jojothai said:

So you agree it is not a just a short 5 or 10 minutes here or there

Im bit in your corner on this.

In addition I think many people are assuming that people have certain level of skill with regards to use of I.T related matters. 

Perhaps I run with a rough crew but chaps I know are lucky to be able to post a letter. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Im bit in your corner on this.

In addition I think many people are assuming that people have certain level of skill with regards to use of I.T related matters. 

Perhaps I run with a rough crew but chaps I know are lucky to be able to post a letter. 

'E MAILS and the internet have been around for 25 years! Lessons in computing started in schools decades ago. Most people are IT literate to some extent so it helps to work together.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THEN said:

I used yahoo mail and got confirmation that my application had been received. I did an extra application via my work mail on day 5 out of desperation, but I think Yahoo email is ok.

It was also impossible for me to get any feedback from embassy by phone, so I drove 4 hours just to learn that they prefer communication by FB messenger and that they focus on people with less than 48 hours to their flight.

Try to find the local Thai embassy on FB and message them asap.

I and many others don't use FB

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Turn of the light before taking the photo and there should be no glare or shadow.

Whilst that may help.

Shadows cause a problem unless you can do it outside in daylight. Flash is worse.

There are too many reflective parts on the uk passport.

I find if indoors i have to turn on and off lights to find the appropriate location and position.

That is more than a few minutes.

I have had issue at least three times before with various requirements for countries requiring photo and it has not been easy.

One time i could not get anything good enough despite it looking good to me and had to eventually scan the chip on line to get acceptance.

I think outside in daylight would be the best but thats not always possible.

However in relation to my post and the thailand pass. The point is that most people have scanned copies, and not submitting a photo can get rejection.

For a lot of people this means they have to take a photo and it is not as easy as it may seem to get a clear image with no reflection.

It took me only several minutes this time because i have had to do it before.

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A jpg is a jpg however it is produced. The OP requires a jpg copy of a document. He's says he is getting glare from his camera phone. I pointed out that jpgs can be created in scanner just as scans can be made in a camera. This is a format issue not a device issue. Alternatively the OP could adjust the lighting appropriately just as we all do.

It states photo.

6 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Whilst that may help.

Shadows cause a problem unless you can do it outside in daylight. Flash is worse.

There are too many reflective parts on the uk passport.

I find if indoors i have to turn on and off lights to find the appropriate location and position.

That is more than a few minutes.

I have had issue at least three times before with various requirements for countries requiring photo and it has not been easy.

One time i could not get anything good enough despite it looking good to me and had to eventually scan the chip on line to get acceptance.

I think outside in daylight would be the best but thats not always possible.

However in relation to my post and the thailand pass. The point is that most people have scanned copies, and not submitting a photo can get rejection.

For a lot of people this means they have to take a photo and it is not as easy as it may seem to get a clear image with no reflection.

It took me only several minutes this time because i have had to do it before.

Use the photo mode on your scanner! Save the image as jpg. It's that simple

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

'E MAILS and the internet have been around for 25 years! Lessons in computing started in schools decades ago. Most people are IT literate to some extent so it helps to work together.

Surely we would expect the IT people putting the system together to understand how documents are created and distributed. 

To ask for jpg of insurance documents is nuts. Its potentially falsifying  the original doc that now you get internationally by pdf. People do not only have just the <deleted> local insurance, to cover requirements here for entry.

Also, if they know how to list all of the SHA plus + hotels there are and acceptable, then why do they have no sense to list them for use on the application.

The users often do not create the problems. They may not understand requirements that are not clear. Thats not an IT problem.

• Thanks 1

Surely we would expect the IT people putting the system together to understand how documents are created and distributed. 

To ask for jpg of insurance documents is nuts. Its potentially falsifying  the original doc that now you get internationally by pdf. People do not only have just the <deleted> local insurance, to cover requirements here for entry.

Also, if they know how to list all of the SHA plus + hotels there are and acceptable, then why do they have no sense to list them for use on the application.

The users often do not create the problems. They may not understand requirements that are not clear. Thats not an IT problem.

You seem to want a system based on your desires because you can't cope with the actual system. Actually jpg files are the easiest best user friendly format to submit documents. Just snap and go. You yearn to improve the system but can't so what's the point of your rant? Nobody can help you change the system.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Use the photo mode on your scanner! Save the image as jpg. It's that simple

A scanned document is not accepted as a photo in UK.

I have had the issue at least three times.

If its so easy then please explain how the authorities identified it.

Passports and certificates do not always show everything the same when copied or scanned.

I believe that security against copying documents like these has developed and been implemented for at least several years, and its very important.

If the thai authorities state "photo" for the pass, and you dont comply, if it gets rejected does that not cause far more problem than taking the extra effort to take the photo in the first place.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You seem to want a system based on your desires because you can't cope with the actual system. Actually jpg files are the easiest best user friendly format to submit documents. Just snap and go. You yearn to improve the system but can't so what's the point of your rant? Nobody can help you change the system.

Totally irrelevant to what i said. 

Read it again.

5 minutes ago, jojothai said:

A scanned document is not accepted as a photo in UK.

I have had the issue at least three times.

If its so easy then please explain how the authorities identified it.

Passports and certificates do not always show everything the same when copied or scanned.

I believe that security against copying documents like these has developed and been implemented for at least several years, and its very important.

If the thai authorities state "photo" for the pass, and you dont comply, if it gets rejected does that not cause far more problem than taking the extra effort to take the photo in the first place.

No need to put up your own walls, the system is awkward enough already. 

Use a scanner, or take a photo without glare or shadow.

Just wait - if/when the tourist numbers get bigger, the TP system will collapse and they will then send it all back to the Embassies and wipe their hands of it. Personally I am waiting for that to happen, and also for the compulsory PCR test to be dropped, before I enter Thailand again.  There is no way I am going to pay for my meal upfront, and then have to apply to enter the restaurant and wait outside.  Likewise I aint going to risk spending 10-14 days in hospital for a 3-4 week trip - I agree that is worth it for returning Expats, Family reasons,  and Business. 

I have heard - once you have done everything on TP, then you can apply again - and again. One bloke applied 6 times just to make sure.  I believe that is why TP has had almost a million applications (which TAT of course says are all separate tourists), but far less have actually arrived.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jojothai said:

It states photo.

It states you can upload in jpg or png file types. It doesn’t state that it must be a photo. All my documents are scanned PDFs so I just used the screenshot cropping tool. Screenshots are automatically saved as png files, which can be uploaded. 

You don’t have to take a phone picture of your documents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I and many others don't use FB

I was also not expecting nor preferring FB messenger, but that was the message I got when I drove to the Thai Embassy on day 5 after application.

They were clearly too busy and said they focus only on people with less than 48 hours to departure and contacting them via FB messenger was preferable.

So I did that when I had less than 48 hours to departure and they answered swiftly and QR code received 5 mins after I uploaded 1 page insurance proof.

Not the ideal communication line I agree.

• Like 1