Sure Miss the Chiang Mai Public Buses….

SamSanuk

So convenient for comfortable cheap travel!

From my hotel, one way to Central Airport or Central Festival, with myriad of places to stop along the way, all for 20 baht.

Plus a great vantage point for people watching along the way.

I’m surprised they aren’t running again. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chuang said:

Because they were running at a loss...if increase price there will be outcry especially from the farangs..

Didnt they stop running when Covid emerged and that's their reason for now currently not running ?

(Also, they wouldn't be an outcry from felangs if the price was increased) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Didnt they stop running when Covid emerged and that's their reason for now currently not running ?

(Also, they wouldn't be an outcry from felangs if the price was increased) 

That’s what I thought. But air travel can’t be much better for confined spaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamSanuk said:

Shame really as many locals took advantage as well. 

Maybe CM City should subsidize? 

CM should really have a bus system similar to Bangkok which is affordable and convenient. The red taxis and tuk-tuk are ripoff and not many locals take these.

The amount of motorcyclists during peak hours is terrible now, more people should use cheap public transport.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

I thought the air pollution in Chiang Mai was bad enough already, without having the black smoke belching buses of Bangkok.

Maybe some day we can get electric buses in Chiang Mai and perhaps limit regular vehicle traffic in some areas.

• Like 2

I liked the buses for the convenience. I dislike the faff around getting a songtaew unless you just want a very short trip. I tried to get one from the train station to Maya last week. I got the full list of excuses

Nimman very busy (I asked for Kad Rincome Huay Kaew)

Cant leave yet, not enough customers.

Very long way.

100B but must drop other customers first.

I was not expecting a 30B ride but you do wonder if it worth the effort.

I walked round the corner, got a Grab for 90B

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, placnx said:

Maybe some day we can get electric buses in Chiang Mai and perhaps limit regular vehicle traffic in some areas.

Ideal but “some day” may be years away.

Although I once thought they should shut down the sois off Nimmenhaimen for a walking street experience. 

Sidenote: saw an EV tuk tuk today. Progress! ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Was driving to CM immig today for extension and saw a couple of backpackers waiting at one of the bus stops--i doubled back to ask if waiting for those buses--they were....

I managed to get them in a red truck for same price after 1st driver wanted 50 bt each and i told him no way--as soon as I flagged another truck he changed his tune--- but fool me once!!!    nope!!!!

Well done!! ✔

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Was driving to CM immig today for extension and saw a couple of backpackers waiting at one of the bus stops--i doubled back to ask if waiting for those buses--they were....

I managed to get them in a red truck for same price after 1st driver wanted 50 bt each and i told him no way--as soon as I flagged another truck he changed his tune--- but fool me once!!!    nope!!!!

Good job!  

My favorite songthaew scam is no change. 30 baht ride, give them 40, no change, sorry.

Another reason why I love the buses and grab.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SamSanuk said:

Good job!  

My favorite songthaew scam is no change. 30 baht ride, give them 40, no change, sorry.

Another reason why I love the buses and grab.

Correct as I can speak survival thai and I told this driver it clearly says 30 baht on truck!!! He was even going towards airport from CM gate on outer side....he moaned it was ALL the way to airport--so i said fine--leave.....I flagged another one of MANY red trucks and oh how quick he changed his tune---but too late--fool me once.....the good guy who took the 30x2 rate gets the money---good riddance jerk....

14 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Correct as I can speak survival thai and I told this driver it clearly says 30 baht on truck!!! He was even going towards airport from CM gate on outer side....he moaned it was ALL the way to airport--so i said fine--leave.....I flagged another one of MANY red trucks and oh how quick he changed his tune---but too late--fool me once.....the good guy who took the 30x2 rate gets the money---good riddance jerk....

Are you discussing trying to cheat a poverty stricken Thai guy out of 10 baht!?

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I can’t speak for the author but there are other ways to look at these moments.

In tough times, don’t try and squeeze your customer for more baht. Do a good job at the advertised price. Sometimes it IS the principal.

(Once I was stuck in the cold rain waiting for a red truck. A 30 baht trip I’ve taken before. A red truck stopped and said 70 baht. We negotiated to 50. Not the nicest experience in CM.)

Edited by SamSanuk

On 12/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Not when it clearly says 30 bt on the side of his truck and he was heading that direction

He could have just said no......but chose to almost double it--maybe u can set up a gofundme for him

Curious as to how you know he is poverty stricken......should I have him give you a call?    Line ID?

So I guess the next red truck guy that took them to airport for the 30 bt each is living the hiso life????

12 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Not when it clearly says 30 bt on the side of his truck and he was heading that direction

He could have just said no......but chose to almost double it--maybe u can set up a gofundme for him

Curious as to how you know he is poverty stricken......should I have him give you a call?    Line ID?

So I guess the next red truck guy that took them to airport for the 30 bt each is living the hiso life????

The price is 30 Baht if you are willing for him to pick up and drop other passengers off , which could mean a long detour around the city , if you want him to take you directly to your location without picking up or dropping off other passengers , you negotiate the price 

• Like 1

I, too, miss the CM buses.  They were becoming popular with Thai people, esp it seemed, working women who didn't want to bother with a motorscooter in traffic as a way to get to work.  Much more convenient to sit in aircon comfort and safely play on your phone.  The routes to/from the McCormick Hospital area from the Kad Suan Kaew side of town always seemed to be full during shift change time with working women and school kids.

Hubby loved them as a way to see the city, sometimes getting off at a random stop to explore a new (to him) neighborhood.  

It would be nice if they returned.  We, too, still have money on our Rabbit cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, NancyL said:

I, too, miss the CM buses.  They were becoming popular with Thai people, esp it seemed, working women who didn't want to bother with a motorscooter in traffic as a way to get to work.  Much more convenient to sit in aircon comfort and safely play on your phone.  The routes to/from the McCormick Hospital area from the Kad Suan Kaew side of town always seemed to be full during shift change time with working women and school kids.

Hubby loved them as a way to see the city, sometimes getting off at a random stop to explore a new (to him) neighborhood.  

It would be nice if they returned.  We, too, still have money on our Rabbit cards.

Can't you get a refund for the balance on your Rabbit card?

There must be a reason why they stopped the buses.

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Maybe something to do with COVID and no customers!

????

Partly true but I would think that the tuk-tuk and Song Taew somehow protested/complained to the authorities because the buses were eating away some of their income. They didn't want cheap transport for the tourists.

Chiang Mai had once planned to build a BTS train system like that in Bangkok several years ago but due to protests by the Song Taew/Tuk-Tuk group, the project was cancelled.

Edited by EricTh