Curfews

Pattaya Spotter

6 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thanks...are Sevens back to 24/7?

Yes, everything is pretty much 'normal' other than a lack of visitors, and even then there seems to be an increasing amount.   Many places still not open of course, though those that are seem to be fairly busy.

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Yes, everything is pretty much 'normal' other than a lack of visitors, and even then there seems to be an increasing amount.   Many places still not open of course, though those that are seem to be fairly busy.

Where I am, Soi Tai-ed in Chalong, there has been a marked increase in the number of muay Thai trainers over the past two months...and most of the gyms and fitness camps (and restos) have re-opened.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Where I am, Soi Tai-ed in Chalong, there has been a marked increase in the number of muay Thai trainers over the past two months...and most of the gyms and fitness camps (and restos) have re-opened.

I live about 500m from there.   I would imagine that fitness orientated vacations will be one of the more successful markets in the near to medium term.   Although the soi has been virtually dead for more than a year, it's in a fairly large local residential area so many of the shops, restaurants and other facillities nearby have continued to be supported, unlike the core tourist towns of the west coast.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I live about 500m from there.   I would imagine that fitness orientated vacations will be one of the more successful markets in the near to medium term.   Although the soi has been virtually dead for more than a year, it's in a fairly large local residential area so many of the shops, restaurants and other facillities nearby have continued to be supported, unlike the core tourist towns of the west coast.

Yes I've been here for about 6 months...when I arrived, all the gyms were closed at some times by government order and at other times because the soi was deserted...with just a couple restos and the "Seven" open. Since the sandbox, and especially the Nov. entry easing, things have really picked-up...many young adults have returned for their muay Thai training. 

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes I've been here for about 6 months...when I arrived, all the gyms were closed at some times by government order and at other times because the soi was deserted...with just a couple restos and the "Seven" open. Since the sandbox, and especially the Nov. entry easing, things have really picked-up...many young adults have returned for their muay Thai training. 

You have been here for 6 months... and you are asking

13 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Is there any curfew still in effect for Phuket or can people move about freely any time now?

Must be a very slow day for you or trolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

You have been here for 6 months... and you are asking

Must be a very slow day for you or trolling.

Not trolling I don't think.   To be fair, not many people really need to know if 7/11's etc are open after 11 p.m.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Not trolling I don't think.   To be fair, not many people really need to know if 7/11's etc are open after 11 p.m.

OK, not trolling.  But already 6 months here and opening a new thread asking whether there is still a curfew in Phuket?

43 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Some people lead busy lives...and don't have the time to follow the ins and outs of Thailand's ever shifting Covid-19 regulations, especially going on 3 years of the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

especially going on 3 years of the pandemic.

Not even 2 years yet.  Thailand closing April-ish 2020.  First cases showing up Feb 2020, barely an issue till a blimp in Dec cases, than bounced a bit till April 2021.  

First year of Feb 2020 - Feb 2021, deaths equaled 1 day's carnage on the roads here.  Not till mid April 2021 did it break 100 deaths from.

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not even 2 years yet.  Thailand closing April-ish 2020.  First cases showing up Feb 2020, barely an issue till a blimp in Dec cases, than bounced a bit till April 2021.  

First year of Feb 2020 - Feb 2021, deaths equaled 1 day's carnage on the roads here.  Not till mid April 2021 did it break 100 deaths from.

Probably meant going into the third year of the pandemic (which will be correct in a couple of months).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Probably meant going into the third year of the pandemic (which will be correct in a couple of months).

Vahz / vaze ... I'd call it about 8 ish months of pandemic, since April this year.   Unless 100 people dying in 14 ish months is considered a pandemic.  Less than 2 days' carnage on the road.

53 minutes ago, pagallim said:

You are very kind to the OP and he has been busy. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Some people lead busy lives...and don't have the time to follow the ins and outs of Thailand's ever shifting Covid-19 regulations

All forgiven and well.  No curfew in Phuket until the next wave hit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Vahz / vaze ... I'd call it about 8 ish months of pandemic, since April this year.   Unless 100 people dying in 14 ish months is considered a pandemic.  Less than 2 days' carnage on the road.

In terms of the death of tourism in Phuket, the exodus of people employed in the industry, and the mass closing of businesses, that all started in March 2020.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pagallim said:

In terms of the death of tourism in Phuket, the exodus of people employed in the industry, and the mass closing of businesses, that all started in March 2020.

Yes, but when I was down on Phuket during the 'situation', all my old favorites were doing just fine.  But then they had the business sense to target local customers, and not international tourist.

You'd think years of experience, with coups, demonstrations, flooding, bird flu, zika, SARS, tsunami, and fluctuating tourist arrivals would prepare, or at least point out, not to depend on such a small seasonal customer base, when you have 70 million almost at your doorstep.

Locals & domestic tourism kept the savvy businesses afloat, some prospering.  Those dependent on int'l tourist ... well, what can you say.  Businesses succeed, businesses fail.

20 yrs living here, if going into business, it wouldn't target int'l tourist, way back when or now.  Not the best business plan, anywhere, anytime.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Some people lead busy lives...and don't have the time to follow the ins and outs of Thailand's ever shifting Covid-19 regulations, especially going on 3 years of the pandemic.

HUH: 3 years, barley 2 years this jan<
u dont ever visit a 7/11 after 6 months> 

or go anywhere or talk to anyone??

must be really bored

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, but when I was down on Phuket during the 'situation', all my old favorites were doing just fine.  But then they had the business sense to target local customers, and not international tourist.

You'd think years of experience, with coups, demonstrations, flooding, bird flu, zika, SARS, tsunami, and fluctuating tourist arrivals would prepare, or at least point out, not to depend on such a small seasonal customer base, when you have 70 million almost at your doorstep.

Locals & domestic tourism kept the savvy businesses afloat, some prospering.  Those dependent on int'l tourist ... well, what can you say.  Businesses succeed, businesses fail.

20 yrs living here, if going into business, it wouldn't target int'l tourist, way back when or now.  Not the best business plan, anywhere, anytime.

In an international tourist destination not targeting international tourists is a not very business savvy advice.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How do you draw that conclusion?

The majority of expat residents here in Phuket are either retired or working, and as such tend not to be out and about too late (at least during the week).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In an international tourist destination not targeting international tourists is a not very business savvy advice.

Target everyone the same.  Some simply price gouge their bad services to tourist, and live off the overflow from the better places that treat their customers equal, with quality product for good price, ensuring repeat customers, whether tourist or locals.  Why they are surviving whether int'l tourist are here or not.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes sir, a buddy of mine just finished building his new gym there and he has been pretty busy with many folks showing up as well as booking on-line before they arrive in Phuket.

11 minutes ago, pagallim said:

The majority of expat residents here in Phuket are either retired or working, and as such tend not to be out and about too late (at least during the week).

11pm is not late. Retirees often stay up because the evenings and night are cooler or because nightlife is more interesting and entertaining. I think you are projecting your conservative and possibly joyless lifestyle on to others. Retirement 'visas' here start at 50. I assure you that people who are 'retired' are not so enfeebled as to consider 11pm 'late'. If you are frail and tired and find the giddy excitement of a 7/11 midnight visit overwhelming you have indeed given the meaning of the term 'retired' a whole new negative, sad and depressing connotation.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

11pm is not late. Retirees often stay up because the evenings and night are cooler or because nightlife is more interesting and entertaining. I think you are projecting your conservative and possibly joyless lifestyle on to others. Retirement 'visas' here start at 50. I assure you that people who are 'retired' are not so enfeebled as to consider 11pm 'late'. If you are frail and tired and find the giddy excitement of a 7/11 midnight visit overwhelming you have indeed given the meaning of the term 'retired' a whole new negative, sad and depressing connotation.

Sad post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sad post.

A mercifuly brief response because it offers no meaningfull answer or explanation to reinforce the stated opinion. But I assure people over 50 do venture out after 11pm and not just for shopping for cocoa and incontinence pads. Life begins at 50. Fun starts after midnight.

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A mercifuly brief response because it offers no meaningfull answer or explanation to reinforce the stated opinion. But I assure people over 50 do venture out after 11pm and not just for shopping for cocoa and incontinence pads. Life begins at 50. Fun starts after midnight.

Which doesn't justify your insults.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Oh dear.   Sure, there may be some for whom late nightlife may require a 24/7 store visit though it won't be for alcohol as you won't get it after 11 p.m. under any circumstances.    Here's another take (and I'm not sure if you live here i.e. Phuket or even Thailand), most of us resident expats have organised lives that render late late visits to shops unnecessary.   Oh, my own life is far from 'joyless'.

• Like 1