PROS & CONS OF THAI ID CARD

I have had one for a few years and i only find it positive with nothing going against it.

This seems to be a sensitive subject and many people seem to dislike it but i have no idea why.

There have been a few topics about this and the search function can help you find them.

You can only get a Thai pink ID card if you have a yellow housebook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well, if like me you rent then you're buggered, getting your hands on & name on a yellow book is very difficult.

Well if it did ever come about it will be made available to long stayers obviously.

Major plus, though I think they changed the rules since, if out & about a lot, use to check in hotels, and no need to do TM30s, as that ID isn't accepted into the Imm reporting system, so they never know you're out of town.  Don't think I've had a hotel refuse it, and ask for my PP instead.

Besides that, the pink looks so pretty in your wallet.  Over 60, and it's good for life.  Too cheap & easy not to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Besides that, the pink looks so pretty in your wallet.  Over 60, and it's good for life.  Too cheap & easy not to get.

Although I agree with most of what you say I wouldn't agree with it being easy to get! That's up to the local Amphur's office and my one made me go 3 times before I got it. Not easy at all for me. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Found personally no material benefit over existing Thai Driving License / Passport.Against is that your ID name in Thai does not match your actual documented passport name with which here you do all transactions.

Yeah but your Thai translated name is in the yellow book that also goes on DL's along with the given Thai ID number.

The problem is the ignorance of Thais in many places of what is ID.

When they read my DL truck or motorbike licenses I point out where the Thai ID number is written and is has your pix on it so never anything else.

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Although I agree with most of what you say I wouldn't agree with it being easy to get! That's up to the local Amphur's office and my one made me go 3 times before I got it. Not easy at all for me. ☹️

What amphur was that ?  One of the easiest things I've gotten here.  Muang Udon Thani, and address change at Muang Prachuap Khiri Khan.  

Same with yellow books, at both again, when I read others being refused.  Only thing consistent is the inconsistency.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Against is that your ID name in Thai does not match your actual documented passport name with which here you do all transactions.

The Thai name on your yellow book and Thai ID card is the official translation of your name into Thai language.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What amphur was that ?  One of the easiest things I've gotten here.  Muang Udon Thani, and address change at Muang Prachuap Khiri Khan.  

Why do you ask? You think you know my local Amphur's office? How about the other 20,000 offices? Do you know them as well?  :cheesy:

Altogether Thailand has 878 districts, not including the 50 districts of Bangkok which are called khet (เขต) since the Bangkok administrative reform of 1972. The number of amphoe in provinces varies, from only three in the smallest provinces, up to the 50 urban districts of Bangkok.

-Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Major plus, though I think they changed the rules since, if out & about a lot, use to check in hotels, and no need to do TM30s, as that ID isn't accepted into the Imm reporting system, so they never know you're out of town.  Don't think I've had a hotel refuse it, and ask for my PP instead.

Except when your local Amphur man says that you must be MARRIED to get a Yellow Book/Pink Card, which is totally wrong, but who am I to argue..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but your Thai translated name is in the yellow book that also goes on DL's along with the given Thai ID number.

The problem is the ignorance of Thais in many places of what is ID.

When they read my DL truck or motorbike licenses I point out where the Thai ID number is written and is has your pix on it so never anything else.

Yes, that’s why domestically the Thai Driving License (when issued against Thai ID Card) is the ONLY Govt. Photo ID you should ever need.

Also has full passport name below Thai language name which matches Pink ID & YBook, all above Thai ID #.Only passport number missing (not req’d) ! 

TDL therefore a great Integrated Bridging National ID. Can be used, instead of passport, internally, for flights, rooms, banks, utilities, police, govt. (except Imm.) & hospitals, even when original service registration was with Passport ! Never Failed. 

Passport then needed here only for Intl / National Interface; Imm., Legal / Contracts, Covid Pass.

Pink ID never actually Required……Legal Docs instead of Passport:option.

Tabien Baan only for Permanent Address Proof to all Govt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

es, that’s why domestically the Thai Driving License (when issued against Thai ID Card) is the ONLY Govt. Photo ID you should ever need.

Also has full passport name below Thai language name which matches Pink ID & YBook, all above Thai ID #.Only passport number missing (not req’d) ! 

TDL therefore a great Integrated Bridging National ID. Can be used

Unless of course, you do not drive or need a Thai DL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Yes, that’s why domestically the Thai Driving License (when issued against Thai ID Card) is the ONLY Govt. Photo ID you should ever need.

TDL therefore a great Integrated Bridging National ID. Can be used, instead of passport, internally, for flights, rooms, banks, utilities, police, govt. (except Imm.) & hospitals, even when original service registration was with Passport ! Never Failed. 

Passport then needed here only for Intl / National Interface; Imm., Legal / Contracts, Covid Pass.

Pink ID never actually Required……Legal Docs instead of Passport:option.

Tabien Baan only for Permanent Address Proof to all Govt.

Not everyone can get a Thai driving licence though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just done a two nighter at popular Rayong beach hotel. 

Booked and paid thru Agoda, on checking in Thai desk bod just wanted booking ID from Agoda email. 

No passport, vacinne proof, pink IDs etc. 

I asked about getting a beer over there in the restaurant and he gave one of the best shrug of shoulders I have seen. Almost Fawltyesque....... 

• Haha 1

YB is NOT always “easy”. Another barstooler myth. Some Municipal illegally refuse outright. Some impose illegal obstacles to put you off. Some do it but put you and your Thai Lady helper through a 12 week bureaucratic humiliation HELL ( my case). Sure, my friends YB was very easy.

Had to get my subsequent Pink ID from Interior Ministry as my Municipal are SO corrupt they are not trusted not to sell these National ID for big money.

Also Cost me a very large payment there,  via my Land Owner, to replace my wholly incorrect House Blue Book. Hint: google Peaks Residence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

The Thai name on your yellow book and Thai ID card is the official translation of your name into Thai language.

I'm not aware that there's any 'official translation' of a foreigner's name into Thai language.  When I got my pink ID, I wrote my name in Thai on one of the forms and that's what they gave me.  Likewise, my Thai wife of 49 years.......just recently changed her last name from maiden name to my last name (it's a long story).  She asked that the Thai name be spelled the same as what I carried on my pink ID.  No problem.