NatWest blocked credit card in Thailand, yet again. What are my options?

On 12/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, Longwood50 said:

Get a second credit card.  Preferably one here in Thailand.  You will have to open a bank account and deposit money which the bank will use as security to guarantee you will pay your bill.  I have one but only put 100,000 baht which is far more than I ever charge. 

Is it possible to use the 800K for retirement for this account? And still meet immigration requirments?

10 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I had the same problem when I used my Chase Bank credit card (USA). Even after I told them I was in Thailand. A friend suggested I obtain an International Credit Card, so I did. And now I have no issues at all. I don't even have to inform them that I am not in my home country. I have been using the card for over four years now. 

I was living in China and CB twice locked my account twice said it was reported that I was dead...

geez.. that was a pain 

My story is that Aussie banks require an Aussie number for novel payee transactions by credit card. I can’t get an Aussie sim here because Telstra want an Aussie to go one of their dreadful stores. An Aussie pay as you go sim doesn’t work internationally. They tell me can’t use Thai number. Ok did an online transfer from a debit account, an OTP was sent to my Thai number. <deleted>.

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The banking systems in your countries seem a bit outdated.

Quite the opposite, many banks would like to know when you are abroad and where to prevent online fraud etc, it does not stop you using your card abroad, just they are aware of this fact, alternatively you can set your Bank account to send a message to approve / confirm transactions before completion.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:54 AM, SunsetT said:

Apply for a Halifax CLARITY credit card. Ive used it for years. Easy to obtain and no charges for oversees purchases or ATM cash withdrawals. Never had a transaction blocked. Nat West charges for foreign transactions are one of the highest in the UK. So you need to ditch it anyway:

https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/travel.html

Totally agree. Have had one since 2007, never a problem using outside of UK - also use to get cash from a bank in Thailand, no fees, exchange rate as good as or better than Wise. I actually now have 2 Clarity cards just in case main one has a problem (was worried about a dodgy transaction compromising the main card, but OK in the end.)

On 12/21/2021 at 6:49 AM, markeewan said:

My bank has the option to advise them when I am travelling internationally, when and where. 

Perhaps you have this option also inside your online banking account.

Also important to ensure the contact phone is correct for the travel period, so the security team can contact you.

I have with Natwest. I can't remember the exact wording for the online form, but it carefully doesn't guarantee they won't block the card, as also confirmed by the security team.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, misterphil said:

I had this problem years ago with Nationwide. I got so sick of it I called them and told them if they do it again I'll transfer all my money to another account. It fell up on deaf ears and it happened again so I transferred all my money out of Nationwide and put it in Halifax. Sent them an online message through their system and got some reply from a clerk saying my complained would go higher up the chain of command. Then some manager messaged me apologising and all this would be fine on the next transaction. So on the next transaction it, yes you guessed it, it got declined. I called them up and went nuts with them. However I was talking to an Indian call centre and the clown on the other end could hardly speak English so at this point my blood was boiling and ready to behead someone. Put the phone down and sent another online message ranting on about the call centre staff cant speak English and Nationwide is an English building society and I expect to speak to English people when I call. Checked my messages a day later and behold there was a message saying that they have confirmed my credit card had been cancelled as requested and a new card will be sent out. <deleted>! The thick Indian call centre clown had cancelled my card as they couldn't even understand what I was talking about. So back on the online messaging with another complaint and I got a reply saying they would credit my account with £50 as a good will gesture for the inconvenience. 

These days I don't seem to have this problem anymore as transactions need verifying with the Nationwide app and they work fine now. 

You could try Nationwide or open a Starling bank account as you already have Wise. Starling is similar to Wise and very good for overseas transactions. 

That's a worrying story. I was going to move out of Natwest INTO Nationwide... Oh dear. Nationwide won't send an OTP to a foreign mobile, and I think the phone has to be in UK to download the app.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, sandyf said:

I did my Wise card in Thailand and had it delivered to my son in the UK, you need a UK address as the card is only available in certain countries and Thailand is not one of them. Applying for the card can be a bit tricky, you have to do a selfie for identification and a photo of the passport with your phone while on the computer. I had a problem with reflection on the passport and nearly failed, you only get so many attempts.

Transferring money to the account is not a problem, it is UK bank to UK bank. I then created balances in Euro, USD and Thai baht for various internet transactions.

My son went to the ATM to activate the card, not a problem, I then used it online until I had physical possession.

One of the benefits is whenever there is a transaction you get an immediate text message so you know instantly how much has been charged, or if you had dropped the card someone was using it contactless.

Wise is a definite option if I can get someone to do the UK bit. I had the same problems with the video selfie (had to re-identify myself after the recent problems), although mine were more around co-ordination. It's like a sobriety test, I swear if they could make us walk a white line, or stand on one leg while singing our own national anthem, they would.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tazmo said:

I use a Thai debit and credit card here in Thailand, both from BKK Bank.

never had any problems.

recently booked a return flight to the UK with Qatar and used my Thai card.

I canceled and had a refund voucher for up to a year, for the same value!

I only use my UK Nat West debit card in the UK or transferring money for grandkids presents or to use Wise for my monthly expenses.

only problem is that NatWest won’t post cards when they expired. I usually have it posted to my daughter in the UK and she sends it to me.

their customer care is based in India and don’t know about cards not being sent to Thailand! So I got the run around a few times!

That is the way I'm going. However, just went to recharge my Skype account, thought I'd try K-bank debit card. Nope, told me to go register with Visa Secure through the bank website. Maybe it'll all work, eventually.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:36 PM, Pdavies99 said:

You need to contact Nat West, asking them to place a note on your file allowing overseas usage, then make a complaint explaining how you were out of pocket etc, due to failure of card approval etc, ask for £100+

Done that. Each time they assured me it was 'on record', but also admitted there were no guarantees - it's automated.

19 hours ago, rickudon said:

Totally agree. Have had one since 2007, never a problem using outside of UK - also use to get cash from a bank in Thailand, no fees, exchange rate as good as or better than Wise. I actually now have 2 Clarity cards just in case main one has a problem (was worried about a dodgy transaction compromising the main card, but OK in the end.)

The Clarity card is mentioned on the MoneySavingsExpert comparison website. Probably easiest to apply when I'm in UK next year. I presume it needs an account, then online access, then credit card approval.

22 hours ago, RickBlaine said:

Wise is a definite option if I can get someone to do the UK bit. I had the same problems with the video selfie (had to re-identify myself after the recent problems), although mine were more around co-ordination. It's like a sobriety test, I swear if they could make us walk a white line, or stand on one leg while singing our own national anthem, they would.

Yes, know what you mean about the co-ordination, not that easy.

The image was rejected as being partially unreadable.

Final edit:

Thanks to everyone who's replied, lots of options. I had to apply/register my Kasikorn debit card at an ATM (not sure which option, staff did it), but it works online now.

Speed reading this forum it seems mobile apps get blocked less than traditional online banking. I'll download the K-app and that'll be my first choice from now on (and I can go into a bank and talk to someone if it fails!).  Next time I'm in the UK I'll download the NatWest app, and apply for Wise debit card. I'll keep the NatWest credit card as a last resort.

Cheers.