Convert international driving license into a Thai driving license

matteo73

Hello guys

I've been told I can convert my valid international driving license into a Thai driving license with not much effort.
This would allow me to renew it then easier.

I live in Rayong city, Rayong province.

[Quesion]
Where should I actually go to do that conversion and any special documents should I bring with me?  

Thanks in advance guys, you're awesome

35 minutes ago, TheBrewer said:

DLT in Nong Khai ignored my International Driving License.

Needed Certificate of Residence (need non oa visa 1 year, not multiple entry) from Immigration, health check in hospital.

Then watch 2h video, reaction test and test of colour sighr

Thanks for this.
It does not seem straight farward at all then.
I am sorry, when I am reading health check at the hospital and watch 2 hours videos etc .., it did remind me of a Stanley Kubrick movie the Clock Orange.
By the way, how was the whole process for you, how long did it took all together?

Thanks once again

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There is no such thing as qn International Driving Licence.

I think there is and it is called:
[FR] permis international de conduire
[IT] patente di guida internazionale
[EN] international drining license

And actually I know Thai police recongnise it, sure 100% 

permisIntern.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In YOUR office. Mine didn't want a translation, cert from embassy etc.

I think not just his office. I am sure I have seen it somewhere that people that have a national licence that is not in the English language, such as German, would require a certified translation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why such nit picking? Everybody here knows what is being talked about.

By the way, you are not even correct, for example the German document (same for Switzerland and Austria) is indeed titled "International driving license" if you translate the German into English.

Are you trying to say there are 2 separate documents in Germany.

An International Driving Permit is a translation of your national driving license. The IDP allows motorists to drive vehicles in foreign countries. You must always have your IDP along with your national license at all times. 

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/germany/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

An International Driving Permit is a translation of your national driving license. The IDP allows motorists to drive vehicles in foreign countries. You must always have your IDP along with your national license at all times. 

He's right.

The German paper (from 1968) is named "Internationaler Führerschein" (international driving license).

Only valid together with your national DL

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBrewer said:

sorry forgot: translation of my german driving licence with certificate from embassy / consulate and review theough department of consular affairs

I converted mine. You need an official translation. I went to an address in Pattaya where the translation of my DE driving licence was returned with the stamp and certification of  "Amtsgericht Saarbrücken", lol. No need for me to travel to Bangkok.

P.S. I think the IDL has no value by itself. I is meant to accompany the original national licence. Not much use as I see it.

Edited by JackGats
post scriptum

2 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I converted mine. You need an official translation. I went to an address in Pattaya where the translation of my DE driving licence was returned with the stamp and certification of the "Amtsgericht Saarbrücken", lol. No need for me to travel to Bangkok.

Did you need the translation with or without having the IDL?

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No, there is only one document in Germany

It's titled "Internationaler Führerschein" which translated into "International driving license".

"International driving permit" would translate to "Internationale Fahrerlaubnis" in German, but that's not the title of the document.

• Like 1