MG Zs

eezergood

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have, and it gets what it states, about 11 kpl.  Really like our, and it is what it is, probably the smallest and cheapest SUV in Thailand.  Have the mid model vs the entry.  Promo price was the same at the time.  Didn't see the point of the top model for the price, a few more electrics, and a sunroof I know we would never want or use in Thailand.  EV is very nice, at a premium, and hard to justify for us.

If coming from entry level sedans, that aren't that much cheaper, then you'll love it.  If coming from real SUVs, Fortuner, MU7, larger ones that might seat 7 vs MG's 4, then you'll be very disappointed.

Designed to use E85, a major plus for operating cost.  Ours only has 27k on it, put 25k on it first year, but now I have an E-scooter (motorcycle), so don't drive it nearly as much, maybe once a week.

I would definitely buy another, if no oops in the future, and nothing else caught my eye.  Probably the EV model, as they seem to keep improving that.  Not sure I'll be around for another car, as I'm 68, and it's going to take quite some time for us to put another 200k on the odometer.  Looking at EV, but nothing in a practical range for us, that I can get in comfortably, with my not so good back.

Good report, though I pick up your bad back point. 

My friend has a ZS, the leather seats look very nice, but, after sitting in it for a couple of hours it became noticeably uncomfortable, very hard.

My friend, the driver, told me he went to Mr.DIY and bought a car seat cushion for the same reason. 

So, fat bums will probably be OK...???? 

• Haha 2

I've been looking at the MG SUV's lately. They certainly look smart, but when I read the reviews there are two criticisms that stand out. The first is that they are lacking in safety features compared with the more-established makes, like Toyota or Honda. I'm not sure what safety features they mean, but it's a common criticism and, given how dangerous the roads are here, I tend to class safety features as a top priority. The other criticism is the mediocre performance compared with more-expensive small or medium SUV's, and also noise at high speeds. Personally, I'd view the points about safety as most important, but it's also nice to be able to put your foot down if you want and feel the car respond, not to mention listening to music on the motorways without going deaf. I'd be interested to hear how owners feel about these points.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I've been looking at the MG SUV's lately. They certainly look smart, but when I read the reviews there are two criticisms that stand out. The first is that they are lacking in safety features compared with the more-established makes, like Toyota or Honda. I'm not sure what safety features they mean, but it's a common criticism and, given how dangerous the roads are here, I tend to class safety features as a top priority. The other criticism is the mediocre performance compared with more-expensive small or medium SUV's, and also noise at high speeds. Personally, I'd view the points about safety as most important, but it's also nice to be able to put your foot down if you want and feel the car respond, not to mention listening to music on the motorways without going deaf. I'd be interested to hear how owners feel about these points.

I own a 2020 ZS x+. no major problems as yet. Running on E20 on average I get about 12ks per litre. Its not a power pack, at my age now its not a priority. Enough for overtaking. I have never had problem with comfort, we have done some long trips without aches and pain, mind you I did fit lambs wool seat covers from Oz, they do make a difference, especially in summer, as vinyal seats make you sweat. Noise level is ok in the cab. Handles ok, missing some safety features, like, adaptive cruise control, front collision warning and lane departure warning. I purchased a Mai 70 dash cam with two of the missing safety features. Mind you if you buy the MG HS. you get these features at a premium cost. No spare wheel or tools, you get a puncture repair kit instead. For piece of mind I bought my own spare and tools. I think 2022 we will see a new model with the missing safety features as standard on higher end model ZS. I purchased my at the right time and got 70,000B of the list price, I could not justify spending 300-400,000 more for a Honda or Toyota for a SUV to get me from point A to B. I cant see the build quality to jusify the extra Barht. One thing I will say is that MG dealerships are not up to speed as I previously had with Honda with servicing. Mind you I am out in the sticks, and the standard of workmanship may differ from big city dealers. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by DUNROAMIN
  • Haha 1

Be careful. I was happy with my MG until 6 months after the 4 year warranty ran out and the trim inside all four doors came unstuck from the doors. It looks an absolute sight. Clearly a manufacturing spec problem as the car has tinted windows and is parked almost constantly under a roof. I imagine the adhesive used is not suitable for sticking down stretchable moulded material in high heat/humidity. 

MG refuse to accept that a manufacturing problem in a newly released high-spec model should be treated sympathetically when it appears so soon after warranty has expired. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Be careful. I was happy with my MG until 6 months after the 4 year warranty ran out and the trim inside all four doors came unstuck from the doors. It looks an absolute sight. Clearly a manufacturing spec problem as the car has tinted windows and is parked almost constantly under a roof. I imagine the adhesive used is not suitable for sticking down stretchable moulded material in high heat/humidity. 

MG refuse to accept that a manufacturing problem in a newly released high-spec model should be treated sympathetically when it appears so soon after warranty has expired. 

Plus, the last I read, the UK MG has a 7 year warranty....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, transam said:

I would never have guessed, but my point was the same car has 7 year warranty in the UK to 4 years in LOS.

Now isn't that interesting....?  ????

Noticed that, after we bought ours with a 5 yr warranty, they dropped in down a year.  Although once back on the road, we'll rack up 100k rather fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

I would never have guessed, but my point was the same car has 7 year warranty in the UK to 4 years in LOS.

Now isn't that interesting....?  ????

Perhaps it just reinforces my point that the after sales service for Chinese MGs constructed and sold in Thailand should not be afforded thr respect that the marque has previously earned. Otherwise, no. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I got a lot more respect for current MGs than I did for Brit made.  I would have never considered a Brit made MG back when.  Did they offer more than 4 yr warranties when made in the UK ?  ????  Definitely didn't offer 7 yrs in the UK.

MG only exists today because they are made by China, and not longer a badge of failure ... nuff said

I don't know what warranties they used to offer, but you've missed the entire point of my post which is that they do not have the reasonable attitude you might expect towards discovery of a manufacturing specification fault in a new car model (the 2015 Xross) quite soon after the expiry of the warranty. Soo I repeat my belief that you should be careful of them in respect of after-sales attitude.

In the Middle East I bought a used (8000km) Range Rover Sport First Edition and drove it for 200,000 kms. There were a couple of faults concerning the Middle East spec (again down to materials used not coping with the harsh environment) soon after warranty period, and these were corrected gracefully by Al Tayer, their ME representative. Perhaps money talks....

Haval Jolion

Another vehicle in that price range ( 879,000 baht - 999,000 baht) it's a very nice vehicle that gets great  reviews , is a Hybrid with a lot more power (150 hp) and  fuel economy  (8.5L/100km )

https://www.gwm.co.th/haval-jolion/

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-reviews/2021-haval-jolion-review

image.png.5e4aed3f2bd9f332f8faee044f78022c.png

Edited by sirineou

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I got a lot more respect for current MGs than I did for Brit made.  I would have never considered a Brit made MG back when.  Did they offer more than 4 yr warranties when made in the UK ?  ????  Definitely didn't offer 7 yrs in the UK.

MG only exists today because they are made by China, and not longer a badge of failure ... nuff said

Tell me what cars in the MG era had a long warranty, cos I can't think of one....?

The MGB (1962-80) was the best selling MG and sports car of all time, until, I think the Mazda took the title many years later. Most of the MGB's and variants went to the USA. 

When MG (Morris Garages) was bought by the British Motor Corporation, Morris badge was used on basic rides and the MG badge was used on performance rides, mainly the same cars with higher output for the MG badge.

The Chinese just bought the MG name/history to stick on their non-performance offerings, as well as a Maxus truck that has been in production for years with no performance ad-ons. ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

The Chinese just bought the MG name ...

Not what my reply was about or in reference to.  I was simply comparing MG now vs Brit made c r a p.  

As you state, and thankfully, SAIC bought the name (for easy distribution purposes) and aren't trying to reproduce the failed models of the past.   Again.... THANKFULLY

Y'all need to get of this nationalistic 'badge' thing, in the new globalization world.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not what my reply was about or in reference to.  I was simply comparing MG now vs Brit made c r a p.  

As you state, and thankfully, SAIC bought the name (for easy distribution purposes) and aren't trying to reproduce the failed models of the past.   Again.... THANKFULLY

Y'all need to get of this nationalistic 'badge' thing, in the new globalization world.

Weeell, if the Chinese offerings were that good, why buy a British performance brand name. Why not build their own reputation....?

If the MG's, in your opinion, were that bad, why would the Chinese buy the name.....?

Nationalistic badge.....????......No, it's about MG performance brand badge on non-performance Chinese cheap cars, oh, and a badged up Maxus truck...????

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

they can't justify spending more. My thought is if you can comfortably afford a better name brand auto, get it. I'm looking at the Isuzu MUX for 1.5M 2x4 3.0 diesel. Why? Do I need it? No, but going to buy it anyway because I can.  

Got a wife & a dog (rides in front seat), so don't need a 7 psgr vehicle I won't be able to find a parking spot for.  Especially for 1.5m.  My house won't cost that much.  I don't need to spend that much on something ... #1 / I don't need or want & #2 / something that will depreciate.

If spending 1.5m, I would buy a ZS, plus, MG Extender (p/u) & my E-scooter, and still have change.  I'm practical that way,   AND, either one would be more than enough for my purposes, actually more than I need to go from point A to B.  It's a machine for transport, nothing more, and none really impress me.  

I certainly wouldn't spend 1.5m on an ICE & I hate diesels.  Low torque & performance compared to EVs.  MG's future sporty car, now that's impressive.  But would have no use for that either.

I can buy any vehicle I want, under the 3m price point, but why, because I can ?.  I don't buy things to simply have and look at.  If it isn't useful, I don't need or want it.

Maybe that's why I retired at 46.  I don't waste money on sh!t that depreciates.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Got a wife & a dog (rides in front seat), so don't need a 7 psgr vehicle I won't be able to find a parking spot for.  Especially for 1.5m.  My house won't cost that much.  I don't need to spend that much on something ... #1 / I don't need or want & #2 / something that will depreciate.

If spending 1.5m, I would buy a ZS, MG Extender (p/u) & my E-scooter, and still have change.  I'm practical that way,   AND, either one would be more than enough for my purposes, actually more than I need to go from point A to B.  It's a machine for transport, nothing more, none really impress me.  

I certainly wouldn't spend 1.5m on an ICE & I hate diesels.  Low torque & performance compared to EVs.

OK, you just want a cheap ride, fair enough....????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If spending 1.5m, I would buy a ZS, plus, MG Extender (p/u) & my E-scooter, and still have change.  I'm practical that way,   AND, either one would be more than enough for my purposes, actually more than I need to go from point A to B.  It's a machine for transport, nothing more, and none really impress me.  

I certainly wouldn't spend 1.5m on an ICE & I hate diesels.  Low torque & performance compared to EVs.  MG's future sporty car, now that's impressive.

I don't need a 7 seater either, only 3 of us normally. If you can park a small car you can park a larger one. I like the sound of a diesel, and I figure the engine has a longer life. Although the Civic RS is what I really like. The E scooter thing makes me wonder......Why?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

OK, you just want a cheap ride, fair enough....????

Yep.  I'll spend the extra money on the house, that I spend most of my time in, or have in my pocket for out & about, again, where I spend most of my leisure time.

Spend on things that bring a smile to my face, and vehicles, they just don't do it for me.  Now give me a fast E-scooter, and that will impress & put a big smile on my face ... although I know I'd kill myself here, so smart enough to stay away from that purchase.

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't need a 7 seater either, only 3 of us normally. If you can park a small car you can park a larger one. I like the sound of a diesel, and I figure the engine has a longer life. Although the Civic RS is what I really like. The E scooter thing makes me wonder......Why?

Good luck with parking that, as having one of the smallest SUVs is a bit of a challenge, finding, not the ability to park.  I used to be a truck driver, I can drive anything, any size.

E-scooter, that's just too cool.  Quiet, doesn't pollute with exhaust (diesel ????) and just too practical & fun for everyday driving around with the dog.  Added plus of being inexpensive to operate.  What's not to like.  I'll take 2 wheels over 4 anyday.  The ZS is for shopping and out & abouts.

Edited by KhunLA

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeell, if the Chinese offerings were that good, why buy a British performance brand name. Why not build their own reputation....?

If the MG's, in your opinion, were that bad, why would the Chinese buy the name.....?

Nationalistic badge.....????......No, it's about MG performance brand badge on non-performance Chinese cheap cars, oh, and a badged up Maxus truck...????

As stated, think they bought the MG for ease of distribution.  Guess there a few, dump folks out there, enough to think it's actually a MG of the past, and would buy for that.  You can't fix stupid.

They could put any name on it, as I bought it for the specs & price.  Gave them couple years to work out the kinks, as not that stupid to buy theirs or anyone's first offerings.  I would look at the GWMs & Havels coming out in the future if in the market again.  Or whatever else caught me eye.  I have no allegiance to country or companies.  Best specs for best price ... I'm in.  I don't even look or think about buying product until I read the specs & reviews.

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yep.  I'll spend the extra money on the house, that I spend most of my time in, or have in my pocket for out & about, again, where I spend most of my leisure time.

Spend on things that bring a smile to my face, and vehicles, they just don't do it for me.  Now give me a fast E-scooter, and that will impress & put a big smile on my face ... although I know I'd kill myself here, so smart enough to stay away from that purchase.

I tend to think a little different, when your 4 year warranty is up, you may find your idea of saving money may come back and bite you, I mean, there must be a reason why the <deleted> warranty period when in the UK they get 3 more years.

We all know the Toyota and Isuzu will go on and on with very few problems, near guaranteed, but a cheap Chinese ride, I have my doubts. 

My friend's newish ZS had a power steering failure, it was a recovery truck job. ????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

there must be a reason why the <deleted> warranty period when in the UK they get 3 more years.

Simply because they can, and it will probably save them money.  If the competition offered more, so would they.  They have bean counters for that, as I'm sure you know.

Same reason EVs are expensive, because they know they earn little money on maintenance, so they have to make up for it somewhere.  They'll continue to charge what the market will bear, till it won't.

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

As stated, think they bought the MG for ease of distribution.  Guess there a few, dump folks out there, enough to think it's actually a MG of the past, and would buy for that.  You can't fix stupid.

They could put any name on it, as I bought it for the specs & price.  Gave them couple years to work out the kinks, as not that stupid to buy theirs or anyone's first offerings.  I would look at the GWMs & Havels coming out in the future if in the market again.  Or whatever else caught me eye.  I have no allegiance to country or companies.  Best specs for best price ... I'm in.  I don't even look or think about buying product until I read the specs & reviews.

Best specs, hmmm, the Chinese brand Chery have a near identical ride to the ZS, the big difference is, although they both have a 1500cc engine, the Chery has a turbo, it has some real pep, now that would look good with an MG badge....105hp vs 145hp.

Chery.thumb.jpg.c0c6d8b2d296adcba582a6c43bad9c76.jpg

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I tend to think a little different, when your 4 year warranty is up, you may find your idea of saving money may come back and bite you, I mean, there must be a reason why the <deleted> warranty period when in the UK they get 3 more years.

We all know the Toyota and Isuzu will go on and on with very few problems, near guaranteed, but a cheap Chinese ride, I have my doubts. 

My friend's newish ZS had a power steering failure, it was a recovery truck job. ????

I'll check back in, in 4 yrs, if still having, or alive, as still got shy of 4 more years of warranty left.

• Thanks 1