Coming to Thailand to teach without work visa?

Hello,

I'm planning to move to Thailand to teach English next year. However, I would like to look for the job in Thailand, which means that work visa would not be available for me; I would have to come there on a tourist visa. The problem is that I'm not sure how to go about it legally; is it possible to somehow turn a tourist visa into a non-immigrant B visa after I find a job? I'm worried after watching the attached video in which it's suggested that only people from a very limited number of countries can get a regular tourist visa (and not a special tourist visa which cannot be turned into a work visa). I've tried typing my country's name on this website: https://thaievisa.go.th and it seems that I'm not able to apply online so I'm not sure I would have any chances in person.

What do you think about the idea of going to Thailand on tourist visa to find a TEFL job there? Is there any SEA country in which it's less risky? Any advice is appreciated!

I is possible to apply for a non-b visa for teaching at immigration if you have all of the required document and a school that has hired you pending you getting the visa.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2-1.pdf

The important documents is your original certificate proving your education that qualify to apply are legalized by a inity in your home or  the country where they were issued.

This from the above list.

"5.5The Applicant’s educational degree certificate (must be translated into English and certified by local and overseas Embassy and Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1058-60 call center 0-2572-8442) , not less than Bachelor’s degree, academic transcript and evidence of TOEIC scores"

Don't forget that you cannot work until you have a 'work permit'.

The visa does not legally allow you to work, even if you don't get paid.

Many schools will tell you it's 'ok' to work for 'x' months without a work permit and some teachers do, but, you risk being arrested and deported if the Immigration department decide to check up on you. The school are very likely to 'not' help you if that happens.

Edit.

There isn't such a thing as a work visa.

Edited by overherebc

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

I would estimate that 90% of the Teachers in Thailand have done it this way (including myself at some point in my life). Essentially you would during your initial employment go on a 'visa run' with proper documents from your school/employer and apply for a Non-B visa in a neighboring country (usually Laos). When that 90 day visa is almost up (last 30 days) you apply for one year extension (again with documents from your school) at local immigration office in Thailand.

How could it be done that way now? How would you go to Laos at this time do it and what would the costs be.

It certainly would not be a one day trip over the border and back again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

I would estimate that 90% of the Teachers in Thailand have done it this way (including myself at some point in my life). Essentially you would during your initial employment go on a 'visa run' with proper documents from your school/employer and apply for a Non-B visa in a neighboring country (usually Laos). When that 90 day visa is almost up (last 30 days) you apply for one year extension (again with documents from your school) at local immigration office in Thailand.

Agree. I did it 10 years ago, but the problem right now is that the borders are closed and as Joe mentioned above, it needs a couple of days to be processed.

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. I did it 10 years ago, but the problem right now is that the borders are closed and as Joe mentioned above, it needs a couple of days to be processed.

He said he is coming sometime next year...who knows ? Nong Khai opening soon according to today's news

• Confused 2

Thank you for the answers, it seems that a visa run would indeed be a good option if the borders weren't closed. I want to go to Thailand around October next year and I'm hoping that the situation will become more normal by that time. Visa status alteration suggested by ubonjoe sounds like a good option and I think I will take care of the legalisation and translation of my diploma in my country in hopes I will be able to apply. By work visa I mean non-immigrant B visa of course.

On another note, does anyone know how difficult it is to find an ESL job in October in comparison to earlier months? I might have to write some repeat college exams in September in my country, so if I decide to go to Thailand, I'll probably do it at the beginning of October.

59 minutes ago, MattFromPoland said:

Thank you for the answers, it seems that a visa run would indeed be a good option if the borders weren't closed. I want to go to Thailand around October next year and I'm hoping that the situation will become more normal by that time. Visa status alteration suggested by ubonjoe sounds like a good option and I think I will take care of the legalisation and translation of my diploma in my country in hopes I will be able to apply. By work visa I mean non-immigrant B visa of course.

On another note, does anyone know how difficult it is to find an ESL job in October in comparison to earlier months? I might have to write some repeat college exams in September in my country, so if I decide to go to Thailand, I'll probably do it at the beginning of October.

Diploma or degree? 

I am possibly wrong, however it is my belief from listening to others that a Bachelor Degree is the minimal requirement for WP as teacher?

A few points to consider:

1.  I was a head teacher at a language school for about 7 years, and I hired many teachers ((they come and go), but never hired one without an in person interview to see what I was getting.

2.  No school can honestly tell you what their staffing needs will be next year.  When I needed a teacher I needed him/her right now, not in 3 months.

3.  Many private schools have shut down leaving many teachers looking for jobs.  Government school salaries are usually difficult to survive on.  Job availability is uncertain at this time.

4.  The school I retired from will open again on 3 January, BUT how many students will return is a major unknown.  Some students now prefer to study online to minimize their Covid risk.  They have many options.

So... be careful.  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, MattFromPoland said:

I'm planning to move to Thailand to teach English next year.

Would point out Poland is not considered as native English speaking.

Many places won't hire you as they like to advertise they have NES teachers.

You'll probably be competing for jobs with Filipinos and Africans prepared to work for 10-15kbht/month.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MattFromPoland said:

On another note, does anyone know how difficult it is to find an ESL job in October in comparison to earlier months?

A lot of teachers quit after the first month or two so there's possibilities.

If you're from Poland then, as Brit Man suggests, it may not be so easy 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JayClay said:

A lot of teachers quit after the first month or two so there's possibilities.

If you're from Poland then, as Brit Man suggests, it may not be so easy 

True, but many don't seem to have a BA in English Studies. In my 'neck of the woods' there are many South African/Eastern European kids teaching. What salaries they get, I have no idea.

Just one thought for the OP, Schools and Universities tend to have different 'rules&regs' here so it might be worth considering both? 

2 hours ago, MattFromPoland said:

Your posts have really helped me reconsider my decision. The more research I do and ask people around, the more I realise going to Thailand may well be a bad idea for me. A major problem is that I don't have a very big amount of money that I could use in case something doesn't go as planned. And I don't even have anyone from whom I could borrow money if something goes wrong (not that I'm a fan of borrowing money from people!). I think I have to some extent bought into a narrative that is promoted by TEFL industry, which makes teaching in Thailand look easier and better than it actually is. The comment about competing with Filipinos was really sobering, especially that I followed it by researching groups offering jobs and looking at the salaries (sometimes ridiculously low) that Filipinos are offered. All in all, I think I will now focus on career options that offer more security and stability.

However things settle down in2022, come for a holiday and enjoy th culture, food and people. 

Try to earn some basic conversational Thai