Are there regulations in place on where you can put your Whole House solar Panels?

MJCM

Just wondering because I intend to place them here (which is in a field behind our house where we have room to place them all (and more if needed))

They will be placed on concrete poles approx 1,5-1,8m above the ground and on top will be steel frames for them which are angle adjustable (what you see are the 3 panels used for the Solar Pump from the "lake" to our Garden Water Storage tank.

Id rather NOT have the solar panels placed on the roof of our House (if possible)

Maybe the only issue to place them there could be the distance, because from there to the house is about 80-100meters

(But as you can see HDPE Conduit is already in place because of the old pump which we replaced with Solar)

solar.thumb.jpg.7ee3fa77a876d52fcd408c0c35f8081d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm not aware of any limitations.

If going ground mount put them high enough to walk underneath then you can grow some shade loving plants.

Yes, the current panels are like that, but it's not an area that is suitable for growing plants (
Pak bung only ???? ) because it floods because of our "lake" and the run-off from the fields, but it does not flood high enough to endanger the panels/controller.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

At 80-100m put the inverter(s) near the panels and run at 220V to the house. Still use the largest cable you can get in the conduit as the inverter currents can have a poor power-factor.

If I place the inverter(s) near there, we need to build a shelter for it (or as you suggested get the IP65 Inverter ones).

Can the inverter(s) be placed further away from the panels? Because on the way to the house from the panels we have our Rain Water Storage area which we can safely store the Inverter(s)/Batteries.
And just in case something happens to the Batteries we have Water stored to flood it ????

I will get 63mm HDPE for these cables (the current one is only 50mm) intend to use NYY for the cables (16mm2 or 25mm2. The latter one I still have lots because we used it to connect the PEA Meter to the house. (Sparky wasn't happy because it was HEAVY)

I am almost ready to go Solar, but the hardest part still remains and that is to convince SWMBO.:cheesy:

Yeah you can do upgrade it yourself, I can't (and won't) and just the installers come and do their business and that's it!

I think I am just going to trick her, by paying a down-payment on the install (something like 1/3) and then say "yeah darling, if we cancel now we loose all that money" :whistling:

A bit harsh and mean but I think when it's in place she will be running the bed-room aircon 24/7 and she then afterwards is saying ooh nice that our PEA bill is so low :laugh: (and I think (we are married for 10+ years so I know a weeeee bit how she is thinking)  she will say "Why didn't we do this earlier"

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just no nookie then ???? 

:offtopic:

But that only will be for a couple days. :laugh:

Won't be getting any Nookie from the 25th till the 31st anyway. Her kids are coming and they will be all staying in our old house and I will have my Peace and quiet and I can do a bit more thinking about the Solar :cheesy:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You throw the top away, that's why I said upside down, open to the down.

I get that but still a plastic bin (IMHO) would restrict airflow and what I understand these devices love "yen" ????

But maybe I am wrong and I would need to see it (or drill holes in the side ???? )

Edited by MJCM

15 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

@MJCM I've noted from your comments in a few resent threads that you seem to be reluctant to DIY.  You may well have good reasons for this, like not wishing to 'play' with electricity and I respect your concern if that be the case.  But paying through the nose to have a 'contractor' do an installation, when you could with a little bit of 'homework' DIY and most likely a far better job at the end of the day.  Apart from that, its a great learning experience as I found out.

As I think I mentioned in another thread, I got the 'solar panel bug' from @Crossy original post "How about a solar car port on a budget".  I openly admit that my knowledge of electrics etc is fairly basic and dates back to Ohm's Law when I was doing my degree in control system technology some 55 years ago, but after doing quite a bit of background reading up I felt that I had enough knowledge to tackle a small scale DIY project on my car port roof.

Yes, 'playing' with electrics has its risks, but common sense is an essential pre-requisite.

My biggest worry, or at least my good ladies' worry, was me working up on top of the car port roof at the age of 75.  I could tell see was worried when she got my life insurance policy out to check if falling from a great height constituted stupidity or self inflicted injuries.

20210912_114231.jpg.1c9dc8aa98abc547d9ebd167ee6bd5cd.jpg

Looking at your photo, you have a wonderful opportunity to create a solar panel project.  As @Crossysuggested earlier, begin with a small scale DIY system like @BritManToo or mine, with a view to convincing your other half that it's a worthwhile investment .  My little system is merrily producing about 7 units per day from 4 x 415W panels and cost approximately 28K THB.  My latest bill (16/12/21) was 269THB, against the previous month of almost 1,000 THB.  At this rate my ROI should be around 3 years which I can live with.

FYI.... I got a quote from a contractor to install the equivalent small scale system.  He wanted 150K plus THB, and that did not include having the system registered with the PEA.

Have faith in your potential ability, take the 'bull by the horns', and go for it.

Good luck. 

Thx, appreciated, but I am just saying this. I don't want our house burned down!

I have no ... idea where to start, for example how to connect one solar panel to an inverter or to a battery, and more importantly I STAY FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from our Fuse Box. I know what to get / talk to the Sparky what I want (thanks to you guys and @Crossy ) but NO work is done by me!!!!!!!

I do my homework so I come prepared and Id rather pay and blame someone else when they make a mistake then have to blame put on me ???? (I am just NOT that kind of a person (willing to learn but NOT willing to DO)

I think of going for the 5kW + 10kW ESS  (still maybe over the top for our needs, but I want to plan for the future (maybe get an EV??? Tesla Model S :cheesy:)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 007 RED said:

@MJCM I've noted from your comments in a few resent threads that you seem to be reluctant to DIY.  You may well have good reasons for this, like not wishing to 'play' with electricity and I respect your concern if that be the case.  But paying through the nose to have a 'contractor' do an installation, when you could with a little bit of 'homework' DIY and most likely a far better job at the end of the day.  Apart from that, its a great learning experience as I found out.

As I think I mentioned in another thread, I got the 'solar panel bug' from @Crossy original post "How about a solar car port on a budget".  I openly admit that my knowledge of electrics etc is fairly basic and dates back to Ohm's Law when I was doing my degree in control system technology some 55 years ago, but after doing quite a bit of background reading up I felt that I had enough knowledge to tackle a small scale DIY project on my car port roof.

Yes, 'playing' with electrics has its risks, but common sense is an essential pre-requisite.

My biggest worry, or at least my good ladies' worry, was me working up on top of the car port roof at the age of 75.  I could tell see was worried when she got my life insurance policy out to check if falling from a great height constituted stupidity or self inflicted injuries.

Looking at your photo, you have a wonderful opportunity to create a solar panel project.  As @Crossysuggested earlier, begin with a small scale DIY system like @BritManToo or mine, with a view to convincing your other half that it's a worthwhile investment .  My little system is merrily producing about 7 units per day from 4 x 415W panels and cost approximately 28K THB.  My latest bill (16/12/21) was 269THB, against the previous month of almost 1,000 THB.  At this rate my ROI should be around 3 years which I can live with.

FYI.... I got a quote from a contractor to install the equivalent small scale system.  He wanted 150K plus THB, and that did not include having the system registered with the PEA.

Have faith in your potential ability, take the 'bull by the horns', and go for it.

Good luck. 

I am also looking to get into solar and so far it seems pretty straight forward but have you any recommendations on batteries. Lithium or lead acid, make? They are my main concern because of the potential for a fire.

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

I am also looking to get into solar and so far it seems pretty straight forward but have you any recommendations on batteries. Lithium or lead acid, make? They are my main concern because of the potential for a fire.

LiPo is the current trend, around 30Kbht for 5Kwhr.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lifepo4-200ah-100-12v-24v-48v-bms-balance-solar-cell-71-182-280-i1259648675-s3064694489.html?

• Like 2

I had solar panels put up about 9 years ago, also extensions built on to and next to my house. I did not bother about any regulations, Thailand is not like the UK in things like that, although things may have changed from when the soldiers bullied their way in and took control.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I had solar panels put up about 9 years ago, also extensions built on to and next to my house. I did not bother about any regulations, Thailand is not like the UK in things like that, although things may have changed from when the soldiers bullied their way in and took control.

Thx, but I rather ask it first then be sorry afterwards!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx, but I rather ask it first then be sorry afterwards!

If I want to do anything, no matter what it is, I do not go looking for rules, I just do it as long as it is not detrimental to anyone, besides my wife would probably know about any rules that matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

If I want to do anything, no matter what it is, I do not go looking for rules, I just do it as long as it is not detrimental to anyone, besides my wife would probably know about any rules that matter.

Are you Thai?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Sorry but I can't help you on that one, my small scale system is just grid tied. 

Connecting to batteries is beyond my 'pay scale', and apart from that doing so would be far to expensive for the small amount of electricity we use at night, also  thankfully power cuts have been far and few between, so no real justification to go down that route.

Good luck

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:42 PM, 007 RED said:

Good luck. 

007 Red can you post picture of installed panels..... interesting..