Expiring passport - What options do I have?

** Posted this in both consular and Visa forum **

Hi all,

Brief summary;

Passport is still in document examination phase and DHL shuts down shipping from 23rd December til 4th January.
My current passport will expire 22nd January 2022 and highly unlikely I will my renewed passport in time.

Can I apply for an emergency temporary passport with lets say a validity of 6-12 months and remain in Thailand, transferring the visa to that temporary passport (residing in Thailand for the past 7 years)?

I don't want to leave and return to the UK as that would likely complicate matters as I would have to apply for a new visa, work permit, likely everything...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

When did you submit your passport renewal application via VFS? You chose to omit that crucial piece of information from your "brief summary"!

There is no such thing as an "emergency temporary passport" in the case of us Brits, I'm afraid. The nearest thing is an emergency travel document, but you will only be able to obtain one of these if you have made specific plans to travel outside Thailand (in all probability back to the UK in your case):-

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

• Like 2

Do not think temporary passport exist  just travel document  (yellow type passport)

You could have gone to .gov.uk using vpn ,applied on line 75 quid to UK address,upload photo with phone number for someone who could vouch for you,then royal mail ,signed for door to door  5 to 7 days,(so they say)  about 7 pounds  (was)

Could pay extra fee for 24 hour service    think a tenner  stating its lost

Edited by fredscats
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Throwaway134 said:

I don't want to leave and return to the UK as that would likely complicate matters as I would have to apply for a new visa, work permit, likely everything.

The way I see it matey, this is your only option. You've left it faaaaaar tooooooo late.

If it would only be a few days delay and you could get an extension or your visa/extension was cut short due to your passport expiring, you'd pay 500 baht fine per day late.

With things being uncertain about delivery timings, who knows...

Also, you'll sweat at night thinking you can randomly get arrested by the police while on an expired passport, which will put you in trouble.

Don't know about emergency travel documents rules though, others may have the answer.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Incredible that you would leave the most important document in your curgent life to the last minute..Allow 10 weeks for new passport. For you too late but for others this is  lesson

Ditto that. You can renew much earlier than that and they'll give you the additional time on the validity too. Why leave it so late?
(having said that, I once left my passport at Amphur and didn't notice for 10 weeks :blushBlushBlush: I went back and it was in the guy's drawer waiting for me to come and get it)

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, fredscats said:

You could have gone to .gov.uk using vpn ,applied on line 75 quid to UK address,upload photo with phone number for someone who could vouch for you,then royal mail ,signed for door to door  5 to 7 days,(so they say)  about 7 pounds  (was)

....and then left himself in Thailand with no passport at all.  There is a reason why the system is as it is, all that is needed is to apply in good time, not hard really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

They stopped that "additional time" about 3 years ago. Squeeze more money out of the peasants. ☹️

I knew they stopped the "additional time" but beleived it was more to bring passport issuance within a global set of rules i.e. having no more than 10 years validity. Either way, the OP may have left it far too late but hope it works out for him. 

22 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

....and then left himself in Thailand with no passport at all.  There is a reason why the system is as it is, all that is needed is to apply in good time, not hard really.

I had 6 months left on my passport June 2022  but renewed it this month whilst offices are still functioning and not closed by covid. Did all my banking tasks also and my Driving License stuff before the next covid shutdown...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Why would he have no passport at all?  he still has his old passport on him.

The way it stands he is applying for PP to arrive in TH,when he will need to go to UK to renew,quick return to TH,but he will surely be sandboxed in TH ,if not banned outright from return,     and even then he will have to apply for new PP in UK for eventual return to TH

When your PP is actually being considered a phone number will be given from Liverpool,you can deal with the actual individual dealing with it.  Scrap it ,start again

10 hours ago, Throwaway134 said:

I don't want to leave and return to the UK as that would likely complicate matters as I would have to apply for a new visa, work permit, likely everything...

If you leave the country and have a re-entry permit to keep your extension of  stay (it is not a visa) valid you would not lose if you get a new passport while in the UK. You would show both passports when entering the country and the would use the re-entry permit in your old passport and stamp you into the country to day it expires.

The UK embassy will not issue a emergency passport unless you have a planned trip out of the country.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you leave the country and have a re-entry permit to keep your extension of  stay (it is not a visa) valid you would not lose if you get a new passport while in the UK. You would show both passports when entering the country and the would use the re-entry permit in your old passport and stamp you into the country to day it expires.

Strikes me that this not a realistic proposition in his case since, along with his existing passport, his current permission to stay is also presumably due to expire on 22 January. So, once he is back in the UK with a brand new passport, he will, as I see things, need to obtain a fresh non-B visa and then apply for the Thailand Pass.

20 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Strikes me that this not a realistic proposition in his case since, along with his existing passport, his current permission to stay is also presumably due to expire on 22 January. So, once he is back in the UK with a brand new passport, he will, as I see things, need to obtain a fresh non-B visa and then apply for the Thailand Pass.

If he was to leave Thailand soon he might be able to get his new passport and return in time to apply for a new extension before it expires.

His post makes me think that he is under the impression if he got a new passport at any time his extension would end.

I always renew at least 6 months before expiry date. Always have a contingency plan when you live on foreign soil. A plan b and even a backup plan c during these difficult times can provide that extra safety net and peace of mind.

The exact same measures apply to credit and debit cards. Having a backup card securely stored at home helps in case the primary card is compromised in any way or "eaten" by an ATM.

Let's hope you get that passport soon. The sooner, the better.

Well I applied for a new passport in September it's just arrived in Bangkok last Friday. UK passport offices unable to receive passport books through TNT because of covid/Brexit problem.

In the meantime a copy of the photo page was taken to immigration on my 90day report this was sufficient.

He could ring liverpool  tell them the situation he is in,  pay more,24 hour clearance  and get it sent swiftly as possible,try courier firms,even airline

Online Premium

Use the Online Premium service.

1 week Fast Track

Your new passport is delivered to your home within 1 week of your appointment. Someone might need to be in to sign for it.

You can use this service to:

• renew an adult or child passport
  • change your name on your passport (for example with a marriage certificate or deed poll)
  • make changes to your personal details on your passport (for example, your gender)
  • replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport
  • apply for a first child passport

Use the 1 week Fast Track service.

Edited by fredscats

You didn’t state what nationality you are. I’m English & two years ago I got a replacement for a soon to be expired one, via the “Tandy Building “ within a week. Service was quicker in BKK than in London.

40 minutes ago, Wavel said:

You didn’t state what nationality you are. I’m English & two years ago I got a replacement for a soon to be expired one, via the “Tandy Building “ within a week. Service was quicker in BKK than in London.

It is about 11 weeks to get a new passport at this time due to covid 19.

22 hours ago, Throwaway134 said:

I don't want to leave and return to the UK