AstraZeneca vaccine booster works against Omicron, Oxford lab study finds

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-22.jpg

A three-dose course of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine is effective against the rapidly-spreading Omicron coronavirus variant, the pharmaceutical company said on Thursday, citing data from an Oxford University lab study.

Findings from the study, yet to be published in a peer-reviewed medical journal, match those from rivals Pfizer-BioNTech,  and Moderna which have also found a third dose of their shots works against Omicron.

The study on AstraZeneca’s vaccine, Vaxzevria, showed that after a three-dose course of the vaccine, neutralising levels against Omicron were broadly similar to those against the virus’s Delta variant after two doses.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/astrazeneca-vaccine-booster-works-against-omicron-oxford-lab-study-finds/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

AstraZenica is vouching for its efficacy against Omicron when 3 shots were taken, but what about Sinovac then AstraZenica, then a booster of AstraZenica? That is the sequence offered to many people throughout Thailand. (though the cities are again first to have the option of #3 being an mRNA vaccine.)
Thai virologists say studies are underway or done, but I struggle to ever see the published findings. ... especially peer reviewed findings.
I hope it works, but am not eager to be required to trust in it. As of yesterday, I was told at our local hospital that while Pfizer shot #2 is being administered today, I will not be allowed to get a booster here until next month - and at that time they will give me a 2nd AZ as a booster. "Maybe later" is when I might hope to finally get an mRNA.
Those who waited for Pfizer for their 1st jab had to wait locally 2½ months more than I was willing to wait for my first jab.

Multiple studies now back up the idea first published in NATURE back in April - that mixing the Oxford–AstraZeneca jab and the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine triggers an immune response similar to — or even stronger than — two doses of either vaccine.
• https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01805-2

15 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

OK If I see any I'll send it over!

Make sure it is packaged with a Thai lady. Delta tried that, but failed.

Actually maybe tried twice, I went with a lady who is in quarantine now due to exposure last week. I don’t know her test results yet.

2nd AstraZenaca was Sept. 23rd, Moderna Boost soon Dec. 28th, ready for Phuket, ready for an International flight a couple months and ready for Omicron !!!!  merry hoho, cheers......

Edited by CANSIAM

From the Thai PBS -World news report:

"The study on AstraZeneca’s vaccine, Vaxzevria, showed that after a three-dose course of the vaccine, neutralising levels against Omicron were broadly similar to those against the virus’s Delta variant after two doses."

Broadly similar, as in "how broadly"? What does this even mean. No values, or maybe the values of the broadly similar neutralizing levels are unimpressive?

The UK HSA technical briefing, Dec 23/2021 has numbers on AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1-S), the two dose course VE (Omicron variant) drops to negative values after 20 weeks and down to 30/40% VE between 5 to 9 weeks after pfizer or moderna booster. Might need a monthly booster soon if AZ cannot improve their product, or maybe they need to add these vaccine solutions to the drinking water. Moderna booster is showing promising performance characteristics compared to AZ and Pfizer (BNT162b2).

UK-HSA technical briefing_DEC23.jpg

Edited by bluehippie