Thailand considers triple AstraZeneca vaccine regimen to fight Omicron variant

webfact

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Remember, just under a couple of years ago.....quite a number of people were carping on about Covid being 'just the flu'... as people drowned in their own fluids in Italian hospitals, then UK ones, USA ones, Mexican and Brazilian. On TV we had overworked medical staff telling us, this is not a cold.

The 'people' put their heads under the blanket for a good while as S. African, UK and Indian variants made things worse..... they have started to peek out and mumble again!

What they never told us about those terrifying scenes from Italy was how old the people needing intubation were.

22 minutes ago, mokwit said:

What they never told us about those terrifying scenes from Italy was how old the people needing intubation were.

Yes, many were elderly, but nevertheless it did not appear they were being treated for simple flu! 

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Mine is due January 7th.

I’m hoping that they DONT reach a conclusion. I’m quite happy to take the much more widely used Pfizer booster than have a 3rd AZ, for which Thai “experts” are the only ones recommending as a booster as a result of yet another non peer reviewed thai study, but which puts money in the hands of a locally owned company.

I know I’m cynical, but what can I say? I just don’t trust these guys. I mean, supposedly they have enough Pfizer according to Anutin, so why the sudden suggested change to AZ?

I got my booster a couple of days ago, we had a choice, pfizer or moderna, I chose moderna just because......  Astra wasn't on the menu.

2 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Big pharma!! They're so scary evil!

Around 1999 or 2000 I held a batch of Pfizer shares for a while. I paid about US$28 and sold them for US$31. PFE is now worth US$59, less than double in 21 years, so if I had held onto those shares I would have gotten about 4% per annum in growth, plus a fluctuating dividend. All taxable, of course, so barely ahead of inflation. 

If Pfizer is so crafty, if they are war profiteering as some have said, why can't they earn a proper long-term return?

Because the money is being offloaded in salaries and options?? Share buybacks.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I thought it had been reduced to 3 months even for a Pfizer on Pfizer booster, but someone informed me it is still 6. Since Omicron is obviously here and NYE traffic is on the roads already, I would hope not to have to wait until March.

I heard on the radio it's been reduced to 3 months because of the new variant. Could be different depending on country.

4 hours ago, Mike KIWI said:

Boosters are very effective for boosting vaccine companies bottom lines.

Yes, that's economics 101.

4 hours ago, Mike KIWI said:

Wont stop with 3 jabs. This will only stop when the fear ends.

The fear will end when the virus ends. The best way to end the virus is to get vaccinated.

Didn't you get the latest memo?

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-covid-vaccine-one-of-greatest-achievements-mankind-owens-interview-2021-12

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Just Wow! 
AZ is no longer being used in the UK. Many countries have discontinued or banned it. Supplies have been destroyed when they were not used.

Sounds like AZ are dumping their stock on the third world.

What a load of ignorant garbage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps they should have listened to what the nurses were saying, i.e. not to make vaccines mandatory and give them better wages, fact of the matter in my opinion is that governments will take other measures as opposed to facing the problems at hand when faced with them, because they think that they know best.

Can we have a link to where significant numbers of nurses are saying this? What about the elderly patients they were nursing who were likely to die from the virus they contracted from unvaccinated nurses?

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I heard on the radio it's been reduced to 3 months because of the new variant. Could be different depending on country.

As in Thailand, where it's still 6 months, and I very much doubt that, once they give Pfizer boosters, they will be second-generation ones...

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

did that matter somehow?

I would have thought so. People and policymakers got something of a distorted picture from the glaring omission of this fact - which likely was the intention.

Edited by mokwit

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I would have thought so. People and policymakers got something of a distorted picture from the glaring omission of this fact - which likely was the intention.

In what way?  If the intubated patients were elderly did it make it less of a problem? I'll give you a heads up before you reply, many of the intubated patients (most of whom died) were not elderly but suffered from other chronic conditions like diabetes or were obese. Obesity is a large factor in determining patient outcomes from covid and the likelihood of intubation.

Why was it the intention to omit that statistic? What benefit to whom could be derived from doing so?

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, they can't just repeat that they 'want to make one', so I guess they just weren't very successful...

A just announced vaccine factory in Australia won't actually commence production until 2024. Should they have announced progress on a weekly basis or something?

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

suffered from other chronic conditions like diabetes or were obese.

yes, that too and I assume you are including heart disease/high blood pressure under obesity. in other words it was the elderly and high risk groups, but that was pretty much kept from us by the media.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why was it the intention to omit that statistic? What benefit to whom could be derived from doing so?

At the very least the media - if it bleed it leads. Seriously you are acting like you know it all and I/everyone else is a dolt.

• Like 1

Just now, mokwit said:

yes, that too and I assume you are including heart disease/high blood pressure under obesity. in other words it was the elderly and high risk groups, but that was pretty much kept from us by the media.

No, it wasn't. There are dozens of articles mentioning that fact. A third of all people in the UK are obese.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

No, it wasn't. There are dozens of articles mentioning that fact. A third of all people in the UK are obese.

I think you will find that the lowest common denominator is rather lower than you think, even in Europe.

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I was referring to information sources for a surprisingly large number of people, not obesity across the population.. I don't think the average Sun or Mail reader is on the HoC website cross referencing obesity in UK vs Italy to get some idea of mortality rates.

Edited by mokwit

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I was referring to information sources for a surprisingly large number of people, not obesity across the population.. I don't think the average Sun or Mail reader is on the HoC website cross referencing obesity in UK vs Italy to get some idea of mortality rates.

You won't explain what you mean or what you are implying or what your point is.

Most ackward. Where the UK is creating report after report that AstraZeneca has no protection after 10-18 weeks and that it has no protection against Omicron Thailand is going to give people a 3rd jab with AZ?  Even the Uk is now using Pfizer of Moderna for the booster Jab on top of the AstraZeneca vaccines. So why is Thailand using AZ when the rest of the world is turning away from it? It won't help against Omicron !

I rest my case.  They are making the wrong decision in Thailand.  https://www.ft.com/content/55b7bdc6-5bd3-41b6-8d01-91e2f92cff4c

Edited by ThailandGuy
wrong word used and extra link with information