Thailand considers triple AstraZeneca vaccine regimen to fight Omicron variant

webfact

8 hours ago, Pib said:

They are trying hard to find justification for more procurement of more AstraZeneca.  

Yes! Despite the clotting risks especially in young women, they do not wanna spend the cash for Pfizer or Moderna. And sinovac, which may be a little inferior but still protective against death, has In Thailand a super bad reputation.

7 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

A common cold is a common cold…omicron is omicron….

if your purpose is to say it is a milder form of Covid with symptoms similar to a cold for a younger healthier person then say so…

the ability to articulate is important…

Does articulate mean you are double jointed?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Restrictions are to flatten the curve. People will be off work for sure but not for long and then they have gained immunity. With the very rapid increase in infections it could be all over soon. A bit of short term pain with little health impact to society. As it is people get colds and spread it in the work place and some will get more severe cold symptoms and have to take time off of work. This is just happening all at once. There definitely seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

As long as the light is not someone coming the other way with a flash light, we should be ok?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um I thought the boosters and the vaccines don't work on Omicron, so why more for those of us that have had them ?

Just let it rip so we can all get it and become immune, simple if you ask me, i.e. unless I'm missing something ?

You missing a step of logic based on a false assumption 'Um I thought the boosters and the vaccines don't work on Omicron,'

Why do think that?

If 'letting it rip' was  feasible option don't you think scientists and world leaders in at least one country would have tried it?

49 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Most ackward. Where the UK is creating report after report that AstraZeneca has no protection after 10-18 weeks and that it has no protection against Omicron Thailand is going to give people a 3rd jab with AZ?  Even the Uk is now using Pfizer of Moderna for the booster Jab on top of the AstraZeneca vaccines. So why is Thailand using AZ when the rest of the world is turning away from it? It won't help against Omicron !

I rest my case.  They are making the wrong decision in Thailand.  https://www.ft.com/content/55b7bdc6-5bd3-41b6-8d01-91e2f92cff4c

Other links suggest the opposite. The truth is we don't know at this stage.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

yes, that too and I assume you are including heart disease/high blood pressure under obesity. in other words it was the elderly and high risk groups, but that was pretty much kept from us by the media.

It was not kept from us at all. Its has been part of the public narrative since the beginning and part of health policy throughout the world.

I wonder if this news was reported and/or translated correctly.

To me it reads that for those who have taken A-Z for jabs #1 and #2, Public Health will supply a third jab of A-Z followed by a booster of Pfizer.

If that is the intention then I will grumble but I accept it. But, if it actually means no Pfizer (or Moderna) jab at all, then it does not seem to be right-minded at all.  

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Can we have a link to where significant numbers of nurses are saying this? What about the elderly patients they were nursing who were likely to die from the virus they contracted from unvaccinated nurses?

Google it

So sacrifice those nurses, who now will look after all the others falling sick, we all die and age is a part of it.

29 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You missing a step of logic based on a false assumption 'Um I thought the boosters and the vaccines don't work on Omicron,'

Why do think that?

If 'letting it rip' was  feasible option don't you think scientists and world leaders in at least one country would have tried it?

The only reason they aren't allowing it is because hospitals will become overwhelmed, no missing step here based on any false assumption.

Fear is a powerful tool as well, but that's another story. 

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Google it

So sacrifice those nurses, who now will look after all the others falling sick, we all die and age is a part of it.

Same result as usual. Inability to provide links or evidence for patently false claims. Googling something that doesn't exist is a waste of time. Just another conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Same result as usual. Inability to provide links or evidence for patently false claims. Googling something that doesn't exist is a waste of time. Just another conspiracy theory.

Wow your deep, I understand, just say that you can't Google, not be throwing a dummy spit calling it another conspiracy theory because you can't Google.

1) https://theconversation.com/nurses-are-leaving-the-profession-and-replacing-them-wont-be-easy-166325

2) https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/health/careers-at-suffolk-hospitals-as-hundreds-quit-8382192

3) https://rcni.com/nursing-standard/newsroom/news/we-resign-more-200-nursing-staff-quit-trust-six-months-177216

There you go, all under a minute, Jes..

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Big pharma!! They're so scary evil!

Around 1999 or 2000 I held a batch of Pfizer shares for a while. I paid about US$28 and sold them for US$31. PFE is now worth US$59, less than double in 21 years, so if I had held onto those shares I would have gotten about 4% per annum in growth, plus a fluctuating dividend. All taxable, of course, so barely ahead of inflation. 

If Pfizer is so crafty, if they are war profiteering as some have said, why can't they earn a proper long-term return?

Because they keep getting sued ?

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wow your deep, I understand, just say that you can't Google, not be throwing a dummy spit calling it another conspiracy theory because you can't Google.

1) https://theconversation.com/nurses-are-leaving-the-profession-and-replacing-them-wont-be-easy-166325

2) https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/health/careers-at-suffolk-hospitals-as-hundreds-quit-8382192

3) https://rcni.com/nursing-standard/newsroom/news/we-resign-more-200-nursing-staff-quit-trust-six-months-177216

There you go, all under a minute, Jes..

Perhaps they should have listened to what the nurses were saying, i.e. not to make vaccines mandatory and give them better wages, fact of the matter in my opinion is that governments will take other measures as opposed to facing the problems at hand when faced with them, because they think that they know best.

Your claim was that the nurses were quitting because they were being forced to vaccinate. Your links don't mention that as a reason for the resignations. Instead they are quitting because of stress and burnout. This is the polar opposite of your claim. If more people were vaccinated the stress on hospitals and nurses would be a lot less. You'll need to do better than handing up irrelevant links.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Your claim was that the nurses were quitting because they were being forced to vaccinate. Your links don't mention that as a reason for the resignations. Instead they are quitting because of stress and burnout. This is the polar opposite of your claim. If more people were vaccinated the stress on hospitals and nurses would be a lot less. You'll need to do better than handing up irrelevant links.

Do you honestly believe they would print that for you....lol

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am skeptical because these so-called studies are probably paid by the big pharma companies to promote their vaccines.

Let me give you an example, if I take rice but my muscles don't grow no matter how hard I train in a gym, taking more rice won't help either. One should take protein instead to make more muscles.

The old vaccines target the original virus and not the severely mutated Omicron virus. What we need is a new version of the vaccine targeting the Omicron and not booster jab of the original vaccine.

Anyway, we already have immune memory T-cell and B-cell which will produce the required amount of antibodies should the old virus attack.

I laughed when I heard Israel is having a fourth booster jab now even though the third booster jab is supposed to be 'effective' against the omicron.

None of the vaccines target the virus. They target the spike proteins 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

The only reason they aren't allowing it is because hospitals will become overwhelmed, no missing step here based on any false assumption.

Fear is a powerful tool as well, but that's another story. 

'Um I thought the boosters and the vaccines don't work on Omicron,' Was your false assumption.

'The only reason they aren't allowing it is because hospitals will become overwhelmed,'

No. It's human decency and common humanity.. There is no simple 'only reason'. You are talking like an ill informed teenager using false assumptions and silly generalizations.

Yes I agree.Fear is a powerful emotion but it's linked to human survival. Hopefully more powerful than stupidity.

The greatest power we have as a species is  empathy and the ability to cooperate with each other.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tandor said:

...as usual Thailand is behind the play...this Pre-print was out 6 weeks ago!

Thailand may have been late to start vaccinating but let’s give them credit for what l believe has been a great catch up. Personally I feel I was treated exceptionally well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Other links suggest the opposite. The truth is we don't know at this stage.

Then tell me why is the UK boostering their own people with Pfizer and Moderna?  I have read  many articles now and none of them speak in favor of AstraZeneca as a good booster vaccine!

2 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

None of the vaccines target the virus. They target the spike proteins 

That is probably the least intelligent statement I've seen in a long time.  Is the spike not a part of the virus?  The spike is the part of the virus that attaches to the cell and then injects the genetic material into the cell.  The remainder of the virus exists only to help the spike attach and inject the genetic material in the cell.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I heard on the radio it's been reduced to 3 months because of the new variant. Could be different depending on country.

Well as I am in Thailand that is where I am thinking of. I knew the UK had gone with 3 months boosters....

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Simple flu used to kill people before covid appeared. I'm sure some were put on life support for it.

As is maybe, but I doubt the treatment frequently included being put into comas and forced ventilation...... as I said, there were medical staff pleading with the news reporters, telling them 'this is not simply the flu, you need to act now'......  We may be fortunate these days in that Omicron does only have similar flu like symptoms.... but to ignore history is folly. 

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You are talking like an ill informed teenager using false assumptions and silly generalizations.

So says you and your buddy.

Hopefully more powerful than stupidity.

Look up the word hopefully.

The greatest power we have as a species is  empathy and the ability to cooperate with each other.

Yes that has worked well since the beginning of time, try logic man, logic.

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

So says you and your buddy.

Look up the word hopefully.

Yes that has worked well since the beginning of time, try logic man, logic.

Logic tells me that empathy and the ability to cooperate is solely responsible for the advancement of human society. It has it downside (war) but that's a product of cooperation to advance the negative aspects of the human psyche.  Those negative aspects are narcissism and sociopathy, the main reasons for politically motivated anti science based anti vax propaganda. That's completely illogical.

Edited by ozimoron

11 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Then tell me why is the UK boostering their own people with Pfizer and Moderna?  I have read  many articles now and none of them speak in favor of AstraZeneca as a good booster vaccine!

Yea....I agree based on my googling/reading-up on booster jabs over the last week.  While a 3rd jab of AstraZeneca does provide a boost in anti-bodies a Pfizer or Moderna booster provides a much stronger boost.  Articles like below in google land.

A new laboratory study from researchers at Oxford university found that an AstraZeneca booster raised antibodies 2.7-fold, while a third dose of the Pfizer jab increased the levels 34.2-fold, a month after vaccination.

Moderna

Results published by the company on Monday show that the currently authorised booster dose of 50 micrograms — half the dose given for first and second jabs — increases the level of antibodies to 37 times their former level.

Can I choose to have AstraZeneca as my booster?

No, you will not be offered a choice of which vaccine you get as a booster.

You are likely to be offered Pfizer or Moderna, as evidence shows these types of vaccines work best as a booster. AstraZeneca will only be offered to those who can’t have Pfizer or Moderna due to a medical reason.

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Logic tells me that empathy and the ability to cooperate is solely responsible for the advancement of human society.

Logic tells me to vaccinate the unvaccinated and not provide boosters to those of us who have already been vaccinated to allow our cellular immunity to take over with this less deadly virulent. Naturally the elderly an those with immunocompromised immune systems excluded), i.e. boost away, if they have the data that backs up that the vaccines work on Omicron, which I have yet to read.

The above is what I call the logical and humane thing to do, empathy and advancement of the human society only moves forward for it's own selfishness under the current government booster plans, in those countries that are hogging up the supplies, e.g. Israel with everyone rushing to get boosters (4) before those who haven't even had their first dose in countries with less opportunities, i.e. $'s talk.

Are we on the same page, are you and your buddy humane enough to not get a booster or are you still trying to educate me on humanity, noting that this society will get into punch ups at the local store over shortages of toilet paper.

Edited by 4MyEgo

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Logic tells me to vaccinate the unvaccinated and not provide boosters to those of us who have already been vaccinated to allow our cellular immunity to take over with this less deadly virulent. Naturally the elderly an those with immunocompromised immune systems excluded), i.e. boost away, if they have the data that backs up that the vaccines work on Omicron, which I have yet to read.

The above is what I call the logical and humane thing to do, empathy and advancement of the human society only moves forward for it's own selfishness under the current government booster plans, in those countries that are hogging up the supplies, e.g. Israel with everyone rushing to get boosters (4) before those who haven't even had their first dose in countries with less opportunities, i.e. $'s talk.

Are we on the same page, are you and your buddy humane enough to not get a booster or are you still trying to educate me on humanity, noting that this society will get into punch ups at the local store over shortages of toilet paper.

The best medical advice we have is to get a booster. Does logic tell you to ignore medical advice? I'm going to get a booster on the first day I am eligible which is next week.

Equating empathy and selfishness is not only illogical but irrational.

Those countries who haven't had their first boosters are very often the victims of anti vax propaganda. South Africa had to delay delivery of vaccines and Nigeria dumped over a million shots. It's not about hogging supplies anymore, that ship has sailed.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1