What options in Bangkok for free Moderna booster?

david_je

Like many thousands of others, I pre-paid for my wife & I's Moderna shots and after receiving the first jab 2 weeks ago the hospital informed us that the second jabs would be delayed beyond the scheduled 4 weeks, because the Gov had failed to authorize the second round of vaccines in a timely manor.

Since our private hospital cannot get pre-purchased fully funded Moderna into Thailand,... well, best of luck to you finding any free jabs.

• Sad 1

Not free, but I read there were a lot of Moderna jabs being sold off by people who had booked and prepaid for them, but then got free Pfizer instead. I forget the web or possibly FB page. Somebody else might know. It's entirely legal and approved by the hospitals.

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

Not free, but I read there were a lot of Moderna jabs being sold off by people who had booked and prepaid for them, but then got free Pfizer instead. I forget the web or possibly FB page. Somebody else might know. It's entirely legal and approved by the hospitals.

I am one of those people who opted for two free Pfizer jabs at a Bangkok Hospital in August & September 2021 when the 2 Moderna jabs I paid for at a nearby private hospital promised for Oct. 28, 2021 still has yet to be available. That hospital still has no date when available, yet refuses to refund prepayment. 

Yet it seems some hospitals have Moderna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 888huahin said:

We went to a Vaccination Centre in Surin 21/12/20 looking for a Booster, they had free Moderna Vaccine available but not for Farangs who had received 2 Pfizer jabs, my Thai wife received a Moderna Booster as she been give 2 Astra Zeneca jabs in the UK. 

I hope they are not starting the "Only for Thai" sh*t again!  ☹️☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

i tried the QueQ app and didn't have much luck.  was with a thai friend at the time and we went through nearly all the vaccination centers on there choosing dates in january and they all came up with a message saying no more slots available.  maybe my farang passport # caused the problem ?  maybe they really are booked up ?  not sure.  i've had two pfizer but second one was May 5, 2021 so i'm past 6 months now.  i'm in bkk.  i'm guessing they've allocated all the doses they've recvd and waiting for the next big shipment(s).  but just a guess.  from what i've read, i'm not eligible to go to bang sue.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I am one of those people who opted for two free Pfizer jabs at a Bangkok Hospital in August & September 2021 when the 2 Moderna jabs I paid for at a nearby private hospital promised for Oct. 28, 2021 still has yet to be available. That hospital still has no date when available, yet refuses to refund prepayment. 

Yet it seems some hospitals have Moderna.

Yes, I have a jab in the offing at one of the Bangpakok hospitals. I postponed the first date as it was too close to my third jab. Will take next month hopefully, though I don't relish a trip to Bangkok. I think the original deal was, they would offer in the 4th quarter. If your hospital offered the same deal they should refund I think if they can't supply this year.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:03 AM, david_je said:

If anyone knows the different places where Thais/foreigners can get, would appreciate if you can share.

270118943_4968101969879844_4906055382052571273_n.png.a77d9e6cb31306ef9f6b1e1828954da5.png

Follow PR Thai Government for more information and updates...????

Edited by khunPer

13 minutes ago, buick said:

i tried the QueQ app and didn't have much luck.  was with a thai friend at the time and we went through nearly all the vaccination centers on there choosing dates in january and they all came up with a message saying no more slots available.  maybe my farang passport # caused the problem ?  maybe they really are booked up ?  not sure.  i've had two pfizer but second one was May 5, 2021 so i'm past 6 months now.  i'm in bkk.  i'm guessing they've allocated all the doses they've recvd and waiting for the next big shipment(s).  but just a guess.  from what i've read, i'm not eligible to go to bang sue.

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is providing the vaccination service for Thais and foreigners in Bang Khae district, free of charge, in the parking lot of The Mall Bang Khae on 27 and 29 December 2021, from 09.00 to 16.00 hr. 

The service is available for the first, second, and third dose of AstraZeneca. Those who are interested may register at the The Mall. The service will be able to inoculate up to 1,500 persons per day.

Source: กรุงเทพมหานคร โดยสำนักงานประชาสัมพันธ์"

Not much help to you I guess but maybe to someone else.

This won't help and is for information only.

My wife and I had our free third (booster) shots at our local hospital in Mahasarakham Province. We had the choice of Moderna or Pfizzer. We both took the Pfizzer. They said the Moderna was in short supply.

No free Moderna but 1,650 THB Moderna at Bangkok Hospital.
Buy an E-coupon on Shopee (THB1,650) and they will send you the link to make your reservation.  Available dates start from the 3rd day after you bought the E-coupon.
This is the link:

[E-Coupon] Bangkok Hospital วัคซีนทางเลือกโมเดอร์นา (Moderna) ล็อต 2 | Shopee Thailand

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Raphael54 said:

No free Moderna but 1,650 THB Moderna at Bangkok Hospital.
Buy an E-coupon on Shopee (THB1,650) and they will send you the link to make your reservation.  Available dates start from the 3rd day after you bought the E-coupon.
This is the link:

[E-Coupon] Bangkok Hospital วัคซีนทางเลือกโมเดอร์นา (Moderna) ล็อต 2 | Shopee Thailand

How can the available dates be from the 3rd day after purchase? Their terms and conditions state "**PLEASE READ TERMS AND DETAILS BEFORE PURCHASING** Bangkok Hospital Head Office has opened reservations for Moderna vaccines, lot 2, which includes vaccine costs. (And vaccine allergy insurance), medical equipment costs and hospital service fees on the day of vaccination only, which the hospital expects to receive the vaccine around January - March 2022"

You'll have to find someone willing to give there slot that was prepurchasd almost a year ago.

You'll also have to pay. 1,000-3,000.

Despite reports of people selling them on Facebook I couldn't find that group. In

Maybe someone can't point you that way.

Luckily a friend offered me an extra one. 

I have to drive 10 hours from Issan to Bangkok and buy him dinner.

I'd imagine they'd be in short supply with the urgency to get boosters.

Good luck!

The situation is certainly confusing.I know for a fact that in the case of a large very well known hospital in Bangkok in the last month.

1.Walk in customers have been successful in immediately obtaining the Moderna vaccine.

2.Telephoning enquirers have been told the timing of the arrival of Moderna vaccines is uncertain, perhaps March -June 2022

3.Customers with prepaid booking (In August 2021) of the Moderna vaccine have been given the same answer as 2 above.

4.Other customers with prepaid bookings (in August 2021) have been offered confirmed appointments in late December 2021/January 2022.

I can't really make rhyme or reason of this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, buick said:

Yes, I see all the vaccination centres are in Thai language which is not helpful to foreigners living here. ☹️

13 hours ago, Letseng said:

Bumrungrad apparently has walk in for Moderna, 1500 Thb I was told by a friend.

Still selling it for 1,650 on the website. 

Maybe there's a discount on stock close to expiring? Or it's 1,500 when purchased in the 30,000 COVID Platinum Experience. (trademark not pending)

Yesterday I went to Central Plaza Airport in Chiang Mai.  I had two doses of AstraZeneca 4 months ago in Bangkok.  They were offering free boosters (and vaccinations) for Thais and foreigners with a choice of AstraZeneca, Moderna, or Pfizer.   Go figure.

It was a bit crowded but very well organized and staffed by friendly helpful people.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 1:36 PM, 888huahin said:

We went to a Vaccination Centre in Surin 21/12/20 looking for a Booster, they had free Moderna Vaccine available but not for Farangs who had received 2 Pfizer jabs, my Thai wife received a Moderna Booster as she been give 2 Astra Zeneca jabs in the UK. 

Were you inside the vaccintion "window"? Pfizer requires a 6 month wait after your 2nd dose. Astra Zenecca is now a 3 month wait.

I assume you do have the required Thai ID number from either a Yellow book or a Pink ID card to show your connection to Thailand. 

Edited by rbkk

21 hours ago, jayboy said:

The situation is certainly confusing.I know for a fact that in the case of a large very well known hospital in Bangkok in the last month.

1.Walk in customers have been successful in immediately obtaining the Moderna vaccine.

2.Telephoning enquirers have been told the timing of the arrival of Moderna vaccines is uncertain, perhaps March -June 2022

3.Customers with prepaid booking (In August 2021) of the Moderna vaccine have been given the same answer as 2 above.

4.Other customers with prepaid bookings (in August 2021) have been offered confirmed appointments in late December 2021/January 2022.

I can't really make rhyme or reason of this.

"I can't really make rhyme or reason of this." 

Money? Thais, I have always found, find it very difficult to return things or give refunds. Still waiting after 15 years for the father-in-law to return the ladder!

Edited by rbkk

20 hours ago, Letseng said:

Bumrungrad apparently has walk in for Moderna, 1500 Thb I was told by a friend.

i went to bumrungrad today and they knew nothing about walk in service.  but for all i know, they had it until yesterday, you never know.  i made an appointment to get a shot of moderna when their next batch comes in (Lot 2), which is supposed to arrive jan or feb.  cost 1,650thb.  even though i was there in person, i had to make the appt online via their website.