Omicron panic decimates Thai tourism "high season" - foreign tourists cancel, events scrapped, flights stopped, insurance woes

webfact

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Daily trivia:  Salvini of Italy a couple of years ago tried to force a no confidence vote in Parliament which would lead to a snap election. He failed, and was out of government for a while. He admitted it was a mistake, and it took him a while to recover. I think Italians actually were impressed.

Get the impression, that was just a career mistake.  Not a major policy or act that cost lives or embarrassed a nation.

Can't see Bush or Blair admitting no WMD and the Gulf / Afgan invasions were a mistake, let alone a farce.

Or Johnson for extending Vietnam war, though to his credit, so embarrassed with doing so, he refused to run again.

For the pandemic, it's tough to say which decision was right.  My opinion, and the no tourist thing seemed to work, granted, international catering businesses suffered.  But if stayed closed, as only 100 deaths before opening, and cases easy to track.  After opening, original & Delta took its toll.

If staying closed till they passed, as the virus mutates itself out, omicron or next version, not so scary or deadly, then open back up.  Economy would still be in the same state, but less deaths.  Glad the decision wasn't mine to make, as in the beginning, I thought shutting down was a silly idea. 

Or, could of rolled the dice from the beginning, and economy not affected, but death count would be a big question mark.  Not sure which would have been better.

Covid policy for me & mine, and friends seemed to work.  As nobody infected, well, maybe daughter, (untested), though we apparently practice good social distancing.  Actually benefited from the shut downs.  

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Wait till they find out you need a Covid test in Chon Buri just to buy a beer or a McDonalds.

It is like that in other countries, went to a park and they wanted to see my passport and copy of vaccination. Went to a sandwich shop and they wanted to see my vaccination card. 

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

My story:

I had a lady friend over for drinks on 25 December. She is now in quarantine for Covid. 

I had a lady friend visit me at a pool villa on 27 December. She is now in the hospital for Covid. 

I guess my 5 vaccinations were effective. 

Dunno, sounds like you are a super spreader!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

For a few days, yes. Then this will all disappear.

17 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I hope he foreigners testing positive have incurance..if not i say good luck.The bill will be huge.

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

For a few days, yes. Then this will all disappear.

Did you read my second post?

The Chonburi governor has said this is until further notice.

The Pattaya News have published the officially signed document. That's why I posted the link.

If you can't be bothered to read it, then don't bother replying will ill informed nonsense to me.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit

2 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Did you read my second post?

The Chonburi governor has said this is until further notice.

The Pattaya News have published the officially signed document. That's why I posted the link.

If you can't be bothered to read it, then don't bother replying will ill informed nonsense to me.

As the interprovincial checkpoints were to operate until further notice. 

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

As the interprovincial checkpoints were to operate until further notice. 

Did the interprovincial checkpoints relate to a new respiratory virus, as contagious as the measles, that could impact hospital capacity?

Any other examples? Parking fines not be implemented maybe?

Do you actually think before you type?

42 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Did the interprovincial checkpoints relate to a new respiratory virus, as contagious as the measles, that could impact hospital capacity?

Any other examples? Parking fines not be implemented maybe?

Do you actually think before you type?

I am sorry to mention earlier government attempts to control Covid that were quickly abandoned. Nothing like the current situation.

I don't know that I would call it a panic.  This variant is highly transmissible and people have a good chance of testing positive.  If you are a tourist, do you really want to find yourself stuck somewhere for an extended period of time?   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My story:

I had a lady friend over for drinks on 25 December. She is now in quarantine for Covid. 

I had a lady friend visit me at a pool villa on 27 December. She is now in the hospital for Covid. 

I guess my 5 vaccinations were effective. 

Dunno, sounds like you are a super spreader!

That's what the girls said with a glint in their eye!

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

One was hospitalized with Omicron, but she got it from her factory. 

The lady with Omicron says she and 3 other ladies from her factory are confined to a room somewhere, not in a hospital. She is not feeling well at all. 

She claims hospitals in her area are full, but I doubt that. 

13 hours ago, Credo said:

I don't know that I would call it a panic.  This variant is highly transmissible and people have a good chance of testing positive.  If you are a tourist, do you really want to find yourself stuck somewhere for an extended period of time?   

I’ve got to get a Covid test before I fly home on the 10th. I’ll be testing myself a few times prior to this and if I show positive, I’ll be cancelling the clinic, changing the flight and self isolating for a week!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

I’ve got to get a Covid test before I fly home on the 10th. I’ll be testing myself a few times prior to this and if I show positive, I’ll be cancelling the clinic, changing the flight and self isolating for a week!

Not in Thailand but I am in the same boat. Heading back this month and have to have a negative test 1 day before flight. I bought a ticket to Mexico since my visa expires here in a few days.  That way if I test positive I will quarantine in Mexico before heading back home.

Was hoping things would ease up in Thailand so I could go visit but looks like a few more months at best... 

Edited by garyk

I think any reopening will be delayed again continuation of flip flops future tourist no., revenue and quality tourist rubbish the wealthy are getting richer, the poor can eat less, demo protests are surpressed and the dictator strengthens his hold on power with a stronger baht.

I think songkran could be a relaxation target.