In your opinion, what country was better in 2020 and 2021: Vietnam or Thailand?

There are many aspects to compare between the 2 countries and not sure what aspects you were had in mined, there are pros and cons to each country but the major one is that VN is somewhat a backward country compare to Thailand and if you like that sorts of life than VN is the place for you...

• Like 2

All other issues & opinions aside, infrastructure, grid, water and importantly roads, since enjoy my self-drive out & abouts, is the main reason for staying in Thailand vs say Cambo or Nam. 

Weather being another, as Nam is closer to the storms that affect Thailand

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

The thread means very little as both were severely affected by Covid-19,   economically, socially and restrictions applied.

You cannot compare one to the other in a pandemic.

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So you want people to simply repeat everything you've already read.

Thanks for participating in the thread. I know that there have been many threads on here comparing the 2 countries, but I want to know specifically if anyone can comment on which of the 2 countries was better during the start of Covid-19 until now.

I know that both places were restricted due to Covid-19, but, in spite of Covid, which of the 2 places was better in terms of: Nightlife? Access to Vaccines and Tests? Household supplies in supermarkets? Regular massages and Happy Ending massages? Amount of restaurants and food stalls closed? Locals willingness to comply to Covid-19 rules? Public services such as visa and licenses? Local reaction to expats? etc.

I'm just trying to gauge if the people that were heavily championing one country over the other, and decided to move from one to the other slightly before Covid, regret their decision or consider it a fantastic decision made just in the nick of time?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nightlife? ... non existent for international tourist

Access to Vaccines and Tests? ... haven't a clue

Household supplies in supermarkets? ...  unchanged

Regular massages and Happy Ending massages?... non existent for international tourist

Amount of restaurants and food stalls closed? ... those catering to int'l tourist mostly shuttered

Locals willingness to comply to Covid-19 rules? ... strict in metro area, relaxed to nil away from

Public services such as visa ? ... Imm gave most wanting, card blanche to stay (license-don't know)

Local reaction to expats? ... unchanged

Can't comment or compare to Nam

9 hours ago, InterestedSugoya said:

Thanks for participating in the thread. I know that there have been many threads on here comparing the 2 countries, but I want to know specifically if anyone can comment on which of the 2 countries was better during the start of Covid-19 until now.

I know that both places were restricted due to Covid-19, but, in spite of Covid, which of the 2 places was better in terms of: Nightlife? Access to Vaccines and Tests? Household supplies in supermarkets? Regular massages and Happy Ending massages? Amount of restaurants and food stalls closed? Locals willingness to comply to Covid-19 rules? Public services such as visa and licenses? Local reaction to expats? etc.

I'm just trying to gauge if the people that were heavily championing one country over the other, and decided to move from one to the other slightly before Covid, regret their decision or consider it a fantastic decision made just in the nick of time?

your question and request is nonsense,  as folks could not travel once Covid-19 became a pandemic ...

what are you trying to achieve    ?????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't go to Vietnam in 2020 or 2021 so I can only go on past experiences outside of those years.  To me, that gives Thailand the edge.  

Someday Vietnam might be able to surpass Thailand once they sort out their visa issues for long stays and retirement.  I do like that Vietnam has more diverse weather up north and in a few southern mountainous areas.  

Was in Danang when Covid started, they quickly clamped down on all activities, shops still open and could go out for walks but restricted, mask at all times, would cordon off any area that covid emerged, people still very friendly, travel completely stopped, couldn't even get out of the country, managed to get back to UK end June, then returned to here, Thailand. Danang has really good hospital and infrastructure as it seems have most major cities, prob countryside a little behind here but no real experience of VN re that. Happy to be back here but that's a personal choice..oh the main irritant is the obtaining a driving licence, can be done with a bike but plenty of hoops and didn't see one farang with a car, it's a lot easier here.... as mentioned they just kept extending the visas, retirement staying there is/was a lot easier than here but believe that's changing. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, KhunLA said:

All other issues & opinions aside, infrastructure, grid, water and importantly roads, since enjoy my self-drive out & abouts, is the main reason for staying in Thailand vs say Cambo or Nam. 

Weather being another, as Nam is closer to the storms that affect Thailand

That depends on where in Vietnam you are. The deep south of Vietnam pretty much has the same weather as central Thailand. The typhoons and tropical storms usually hit the central regions. 

In regard to the Pandemic, Vietnam was much worse. Super hard lockdowns, where you couldn't, Bar medical emergencies, go out at all, not even to buy groceries or exercise was in effect for several months in a dozen provinces. Didn't bring down the transmission numbers significantly, so, after months of driving people nuts, they gave up and adopted a 'live safely with Covid' policy. 

While I always bitched about the constantly changing visa regulations and requirements during my 30 years in Thailand, Vietnam is a lot worse. Thailand has an immigration office in every single of the 77 provinces, and you can go their to extend your visa. Vietnam has 63 provinces and as far as I know they all have immigration offices, but most of them are not authorized to handle visas. I think only 5 or 6 could do so, but usually refuse and sent you to an agency, which will charge you a lot more than the 10 $ official TV extension fee. Nice kickbacks for the upstanding officials, and nice profits for the officers relations that run the agencies. I am in the sticks and I haven't seen my passport in ages. It stays with an agency in Saigon that about every 2 weeks starts the monthly extension process which takes about 2 weeks and costs 110 $. It used to be "only" 60 $, but authorities thought that a Pandemic was great time to Jack up the fees. Last month they were seriously considering raising it further to around 200 $. Hasn't happened yet but it could.. 

One good thing about Vietnam, if you are a connoisseur of beauty, Vietnamese women are a lot more beautiful than their Siamese counterparts. ????????????????????????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

In regard to the Pandemic, Vietnam was much worse. Super hard lockdowns, where you couldn't, Bar medical emergencies, go out at all, not even to buy groceries or exercise was in effect for several months in a dozen provinces. Didn't bring down the transmission numbers significantly, so, after months of driving people nuts, they gave up and adopted a 'live safely with Covid' policy. 

While I always bitched about the constantly changing visa regulations and requirements during my 30 years in Thailand, Vietnam is a lot worse. Thailand has an immigration office in every single of the 77 provinces, and you can go their to extend your visa. Vietnam has 63 provinces and as far as I know they all have immigration offices, but most of them are not authorized to handle visas. I think only 5 or 6 could do so, but usually refuse and sent you to an agency, which will charge you a lot more than the 10 $ official TV extension fee. Nice kickbacks for the upstanding officials, and nice profits for the officers relations that run the agencies. I am in the sticks and I haven't seen my passport in ages. It stays with an agency in Saigon that about every 2 weeks starts the monthly extension process which takes about 2 weeks and costs 110 $. It used to be "only" 60 $, but authorities thought that a Pandemic was great time to Jack up the fees. Last month they were seriously considering raising it further to around 200 $. Hasn't happened yet but it could.. 

One good thing about Vietnam, if you are a connoisseur of beauty, Vietnamese women are a lot more beautiful than their Siamese counterparts. ????????????????????????

But are the girls as available  and are they as much fun?

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:46 PM, KhunLA said:

Nightlife? ... non existent for international tourist

Access to Vaccines and Tests? ... haven't a clue

Household supplies in supermarkets? ...  unchanged

Regular massages and Happy Ending massages?... non existent for international tourist

Amount of restaurants and food stalls closed? ... those catering to int'l tourist mostly shuttered

Locals willingness to comply to Covid-19 rules? ... strict in metro area, relaxed to nil away from

Public services such as visa ? ... Imm gave most wanting, card blanche to stay (license-don't know)

Local reaction to expats? ... unchanged

Can't comment or compare to Nam

In July 2020 bars and nightlife opened up in Pattaya.  G clubs, GGBs,  MPs,  music venues etc so for 9 months it was great fun.  In April  2021 everything  closed down again and has just started to slowly open  up. Most Thai style fun isn't available  in VN anyway.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes but I got the impression  in VN P4P was not available  or very expensive  or not really acceptable..

It is available (Vietnamese men are probably just as libibidinous, although not as promiscuous, as Thai men. But, yes, definitely more expensive than Thailand. And largely lacking the Farang bar scene (like Pattaya and Phuket). Acceptability :Don't forget that the Thai authorities have been denying that there is any prostitution in Thailand. Sex workers are frequented but looked down upon. Something that is probably true around the world. 

On 12/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, ezzra said:

There are many aspects to compare between the 2 countries and not sure what aspects you were had in mined, there are pros and cons to each country but the major one is that VN is somewhat a backward country compare to Thailand and if you like that sorts of life than VN is the place for you...

Are you really saying that Vietnam is more backward than Thailand? I do not know much about Vietnam, but with Thailand being a military "governed" country with an unelected PM and a bunch of generals with a mentality no better than the average Thai in the street, it would seem obvious which country is the more backward.

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Yer thats true.....its always been free and fair elections in Vietnam.....................:w00t:

Yes, actually no real election of any meaningful kind whatsoever. If you are a member of a people's committee you get to vote for candidates fielded by the Communist party. If you are not you don't get to vote at all. If you start your own movement or party, not blessed by the central committee, you get arrested and put in jail for treason. And virtually no chance of any changes in the future. Ordinary Vietnamese are resigned to that, and have no interest in politics. A lot of them don't even know the names of their presidents and prime Minister. Everybody knows Prayut in Thailand, because he will be voted out of office one day. 

16 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

You can be a millionaire in Vietnam, with a lot less money. At least with the Vietnam currency that is.

My Vietnam relatives says that COVID is still an issue there and she is not planning another

trip home for 2 years.

Covid is still an issue around the world. At the moment a lot less so here in Vietnam than in Europe and America. That could change with the arrival of Omicron. 

3 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Apparently retired foreigners cannot own a car in Vietnam so case closed. Any other countries you wish to compare to Thailand?

98% of Vietnamese do not own a car either. The scourge of motorcycles reigns Supreme, much more so than in Thailand. Foreigners are allowed to own (and kill themselves) motorcycles.