Tourism Authority of Thailand predicts only 50-80% tourism recovery by 2024

ASEAN NOW News

Guys, I am in the process of opening a company called Enron2021. I desperately look for talented people (sales and accounting). I found the TAT bunch is really good at manipulate and mispresent, oh, no, I mean mastermind in product delivery and optimistic presentation. Do any of your guys know how I can contact those TAT folks? They could work wonders for my proposed company. I am going to be super rich by listing the Enron2021 to New York Exchange with the help from these guys. Their track record is just so wonderful. They can certainly spin endless hope into a dire situation. It is like you are falling from a 200,000 feet cliff and they can keep your hope alive right to the moment you head is hitting the bottom of the valley. Please help me you guys, tell me how I can get in touch with them!

(disclaimer: if you could not tell above paragraph is intended as a joke, you need to get some form of sarcasm education)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ASEAN NOW News said:

A top Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) official is now predicting tourism revenue will reach only 50% of 2019’s level in 2022, and only 80% in 2023 as the country continues is likely to make risk management a priority.

For arguments sake call 2019 tourists 32,000,000. So he is expecting 16,000,000 tourists in 2022.

With the Thailand pass and test and go, he may have made 300,000 a month Jan-March, but that's gone it will probably be no more than a couple thousand a day arrivals. NO tourists are coming for a 7-10 days quarantine.

50% would mean a rise from 300k a month to about 1.4 million a month for the rest if the year.

On the plus side, if he is predicting this Thailand would have to go back to either no entry restrictions or minimum test and go in Q1.

1 hour ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Totally agree.

The only problem is all the hoop jumping they have put in place, plus Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital on arrival and departure.

I think it will be a while, with the Thai Pass system infrastructure in place, that passport stamping at BKK will be reinstated.

How many times a year will the sausage fest sex desperados even come with this hoop jumping?

I will be so fed up, even i might risk it to get to Thailand this time next year.

But do it 2 or 3 times a year?

No chance.

If it's what I have to do after 2 years of not seeing my kids in the US  then it is what it will be unfortunately. It why I will head to the US finally in a week or so and luckily I was able to pick up the test n go approval before it went pear shaped.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Virt said:

I think that's a wee bit to pessimistic.

When this annoying virus is under control and we then learn to live with it, people will want to travel like crazy.

So if Thailand drop all their restrictions, mandatory masks, tests on arrival, quarantine, special insurance and open up everything, then i can't see why tourists will not still want to come to Thailand.

It's still a wonderful country.

I know i will be back, but not until everything is open and most of their restrictions are gone.

The only one i personally would accept is a mandatory insurance.

If and when all restrictions are eliminated, tourists will return. But a fraction of the previous Thailand 2.0 iteration. And not affluent tourists. They have many far better options, with rapid, easy and safe transport, reasonable luxury goods for the wife to buy, fairly priced wine, etc.

Things have changed. 70 other countries were less timid. Less onerous. Less arrogant. And Thailand had the once in a generation opportunity to clean up its act, and they did less than zero. None of the problems plaguing tourism for a decade or longer were addressed. Typical army arrogance, incapability, and avoidance of real issues.

5 million arrivals five years from now. Maybe, if they are lucky. Thailand is simply not becoming a better version of itself. Homogenization, pasteurization and fake purification is not what most tourists are looking for. Vanilla is boring for most. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Just read Central Hotels 3rd quarter summary report.

International tourist arrivals to Thailand.

3rd Quarter 45,398 arrivals.

Year to 30 Sept 85,845 arrivals.

International tourist arrivals to the Maldives

3rd quarter 360,313 arrivals. (31% Indians, 13% Russian. 7% Germans.)

Year to 30 Sept. 870,862 arrivals.

Yes, this is the reality that has not yet sunk into the Thai minds : there are a lot of alternatives to Thailand, aka "The Centre of the Known Universe" (555! ????????). I just read an article on the most searched destinations by US citizens, and Thailand does not figure in the top 10. For info, here the top 10 - Cancun tops! :

image.png.c22a42b1e5270d45ed864a0645bd4a5f.png

Where Americans want to travel abroad and where they've lost interest (cnbc.com)

Edited by gejohesch
  • Thanks 1