What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, giddyup said:

Anyone else think the new Top Gun was totally overrated? I  found the story tedious and the combat flight scenes unrealistic. Total yawnfest for me.

Top Gun 1986, 15 million USD to make.  Maverick 2020, 170 million USD to make.

I enjoyed the movie as much as I thought I would. Good action and realism I thought.

Spoiler below?!  Are those allowed?

Was kinda hoping Tom would die and Rooster would cry and/or secretly be happy 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought Better Call Saul was fantastic.  I don't think I've ever seen a TV series with better acting, writing, cinematography, music.  The ending was superb too.  

Very good series.

Bob Odenkirk excellent.

Jonathan Banks was stellar

throughout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Top Gun 1986, 15 million USD to make.  Maverick 2020, 170 million USD to make.

TC salary Top Gun 1 / 2 mill

Top Gun Maverick / 13 mill++++++

actually a pay cut from usual 25 mill+ per film

BUT -  takes a % of TGM, so estimated to earn 100m when done.

Salaries & CGI costs really put movies into silly budget land.

Get a few A-list actors, director, producer, w/ CGI cost, promo, and you're on your way to 100 mill budget before you even start shooting.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought Better Call Saul was fantastic.  I don't think I've ever seen a TV series with better acting, writing, cinematography, music.  The ending was superb too.  

I had to skip season one and two. Tried watching them, but they were beyond tedious, and the story line was a tiny thread. Season 3 seems to be picking up some steam. Will continue trying to watch it, and hope I can find the entertainment value in it so many other say exists. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, giddyup said:

Anyone else think the new Top Gun was totally overrated? I  found the story tedious and the combat flight scenes unrealistic. Total yawnfest for me.

Yes, the flight sequences were fun. Very well done. But, it did not make up for a lack of a story, or at least a plausible story. Does this stuff ever happen in real life? Also, there seemed to be an abundance of wasted characters, who were very under developed.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:12 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Sounds fun....Or rather 'How Fascism doesn't  work! At least not for Mussolini

It is said that a type of fascism exists, when corporations are more powerful than government, and dictate policy. So, does that mean we now live in an entirely fascist world?

On 8/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Just finished watching it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Everything just as you said.  Alan Cumming, the transgender show girl, played an absolutely brilliant part.  Thank you.

It looks great. I cannot seem to locate it on any of the torrents. Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I had to skip season one and two. Tried watching them, but they were beyond tedious, and the story line was a tiny thread. Season 3 seems to be picking up some steam. Will continue trying to watch it, and hope I can find the entertainment value in it so many other say exists. 

LOL - How can you do that? the stories of Breaking bad, El camino and BCS are all intertwined. Seems strange to skip a series or two.

Each to their own.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

TC salary Top Gun 1 / 2 mill

Top Gun Maverick / 13 mill++++++

And there are 3 Billion more movie goers than in 1986 + streaming services but minus down-loaders like me  5555    

And movies cost more than double the price per ticket now compared to 86

Edited by Skallywag

2 new shows and one continuance dropped today on 1337X.  

Welcome to Wrexham. Docuseries about 2 american actors buying a soccer team.

Mike: Life of Mike Tyson series

Resident Alien season 2 episode 11 out of 18 is out as well

Edited by Skallywag

8 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

And there are 3 Billion more movie goers than in 1986 + streaming services but minus down-loaders like me  5555    

And movies cost more than double the price per ticket now compared to 86

I haven't seen a movie worth paying the 2000 matinee price of $5 (USA) of late.  Can't imagine spring $15/20 buck for this krap.  Sad, I even stopped going to Thai cinemas, all of 80-100 baht on Wednesday, days past, and had the place to ourselves almost.  And only bothered for the big screen action, space movies.  

Even they were a let down, with few exceptions.  Prequel/sequel/remake/CGI ... ????

Torrents just fill in down time.  

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

LOL - How can you do that? the stories of Breaking bad, El camino and BCS are all intertwined. Seems strange to skip a series or two.

Each to their own.

I feel like life is too short to watch something with no entertainment value, to me. The first 2 seasons were like watching paint dry. Might be getting better, into season 3.

Also found El Camino to be over rated and marginal. Loved Breaking Bad. Though I fast forwarded nearly every scene Skylar was in, as I found her to be devoid of any redeeming qualities and hard to watch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I feel like life is too short to watch something with no entertainment value, to me. The first 2 seasons were like watching paint dry. Might be getting better, into season 3.

Also found El Camino to be over rated and marginal. Loved Breaking Bad. Though I fast forwarded nearly every scene Skylar was in, as I found her to be devoid of any redeeming qualities and hard to watch. 

I loved Breaking Bad but, for me, Better Call Saul is superior in all aspects.  I don't think I've watched a better written, better acted TV series, not to mention the cinematography and music.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Like I said, each to their own, I'm not knocking you at all but part of the enjoyment for me (and others, judging by reddit) was following the plot, seeing details move across the different series / movies and watching out for the little details. 

• Like 2

I've just finished watching season 1 of The Assets. Based on a true story, it's another cold war drama set in Washington DC about the hunt carried out by two veteran CIA officers for a mole within the CIA, who fed information to the Soviet Union that contributed to the deaths of at least 10 Soviet intelligence officers who had spied for the United States. It has received mixed reviews. I thought it was OK. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3074646/

Edited by Mutt Daeng

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Like I said, each to their own, I'm not knocking you at all but part of the enjoyment for me (and others, judging by reddit) was following the plot, seeing details move across the different series / movies and watching out for the little details. 

I think you hit it on the head. The little details. In my case, the details were too small, and I just didn't care about the characters. Saul was never a hugely interesting aspect of Breaking Bad, for me. Corrupt lawyers are a dime a dozen. Even less so on his own. I seem to be a lone dissenter. 

• Like 2

Bad Sisters

This one is based on the Belgian series The Out-Laws AKA Clan, which was fantastic.

Summary: Follows the Garvey sisters, who are bound together by the death of their parents and a promise to always protect each other.

• Thanks 1

News of a Kidnapping.

RAR

Enjoying this one.

The wife and sister of Colombian congressman Alberto Villamizar are kidnapped by the Extraditables in response to new extradition laws. Alberto and the police try to close in on the kidnappers and rescue Alberto's family.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I seem to be a lone dissenter. 

You are not alone.  While I like most the characters in Better call Saul.  Breaking Bad was much better story wise and character wise IMO 

• Like 1