What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

Forgot to mention two other movies that I have just watched again: –

– "As good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt, along with Greg Kinnear, which is an enjoyable movie but certainly wouldn't get past the censors these days.

– "State of Play", with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck, which I don't remember seeing the first time round, so was glad that I decided to watch it.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:14 AM, Jingthing said:

The brilliant, funny, and strange Nathan Fiedler of the previous Nathan For You series which you should definitely watch if you haven't already 

now presidents his new concept, The Rehearsal

What can I say? I'm a big Fiedler fan. I was wondering why it took so long for him to do a new show but happily that time has finally arrived.

I would recommend starting with the 32 episodes of the Nathan For You series if you missed it but each episode of both series stands on their own so it doesn’t really matter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_for_You

Small correction.

Each episode of the older show, Nathan For You, does stand on it's own.

However, in The Rehearsal, the first episode can stand on it's own (and gives a good sample of the odd concept of the series), but episode two to the end are part of continuing story.

Be advised that The Rehearsal is very dark. Many will hate it.

Sample of the lighter, Nathan For You.

Edited by Jingthing

15 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I don't recall anyone talking about the movie Jerry and Marge Go Large. Not a masterpiece but if you would like to see Bryan Cranston in a feel good movie you may enjoy it.

And it's all true. I remember when the news broke that these guys broke the lottery.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20220822-190809_Firefox.jpg.94d210e207c26a6db3b6cfb6dc7781d9.jpgOutrageous Fortune  is an  excellent  New Zealand  production of Six series about a comedic criminal  family  living on the edges of society at times. It's over ten years  old but hasn't dated. Good solid entertainment,  drama,  comedy and action. A lightweight crim family hold together under the guidance  of their matriarch. Great fun and good  watch but with some dramatic moments.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Sorry, but unlike the propaganda emanating from the right wing media, there is not a "woke" police that has an agenda of brainwashing the populace of their supposed ideas. Obviously the brainwashing is clearly on the right wing side.

What are you talking  about? Brainwashing? Why?

Propaganda? Why bother me with  your views? The content of whose reviews are you referring?

What TV shows or  movies are you going on about?

What shows have you  reviewed  recently?

The existence  and growth  of woke ideology since 2013 is not really best discussed here unless specifically  related  to casting, production  values,  narrative,  historical  accuracy etc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing giddyup, so have taken to hunting out movies from long ago, which I can't remember anything about, and over the past few weeks I've watched the following: –

– The Conversation, with Gene Hackman, and I remember seeing it in the 70s when it was released and not fully understanding what it was all about, so I thought I would watch it again just the other day, and nothing's changed, I'm still not fully sure what it's all about!

– The Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman, and I couldn't remember anything about that from an earlier viewing, but it was an entertaining movie, although difficult to follow in the early stages.

– The French Connection, again with Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider, and I must have seen it all those years ago, but enjoyed it this time round.

– Blade Runner, the original with Harrison Ford as the star, and I did like it although I have seen it more than once. I also watched the later version with Ryan Gosling and thought that was good too.

– The Three Days of the Condor, great movie with Robert Redford.

May well get "The Big Short" out of my "library" and watch that again because it's a damn good movie, also a short while ago I watched the movie "Live by Night" with Ben Affleck again, and that is one of my favourite movies at the moment.

Still hunting round for some more oldies which I either haven't seen or can't remember, so the hunt goes on..............

Try Outrageous  Fortune  the New Zealand  series.

8 hours ago, seedy said:

I watch every movie I post about. How else would I know to make a recommendation.

I refrain from making long winded, arrogant assessments to offer examples of my knowledge and acumen.

Want to watch it - watch it

Don't want to watch it - don't watch it.

I guess the post above mine is in the 10% bracket

Please don't confuse my confidence with arrogance nor erudition with long winded. You sound  like you are  anti free  expression and anti intellectual.

4 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I don't recall anyone talking about the movie Jerry and Marge Go Large. Not a masterpiece but if you would like to see Bryan Cranston in a feel good movie you may enjoy it.

Quite enjoyed that a few weeks ago.

In a similar-ish vein is the following. Also based on a true event only not about lottery tickets but discount coupons.

Queenpins (2021)

On fmovies.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Screenshot_20220822-190809_Firefox.jpg.94d210e207c26a6db3b6cfb6dc7781d9.jpgOutrageous Fortune  is an  excellent  New Zealand  production of Six series about a comedic criminal  family  living on the edges of society at times. It's over ten years  old but hasn't dated. Good solid entertainment,  drama,  comedy and action. A lightweight crim family hold together under the guidance  of their matriarch. Great fun and good  watch but with some dramatic moments.

Sounds like a comedy version of Animal Kingdom

53 minutes ago, seedy said:

TPB

Cold Fish

cf.thumb.jpg.e7aa9e7300077e32994c312e129af539.jpg

One of my favourite Asian movies - along with I saw the devil 

If anyone has been waiting Top Gun Maverick has appeared in without the hard subs in HD and UHD, thankfully it’s got Thai subs too,

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:17 AM, bert bloggs said:

Just downloaded a series called Marriage with Nichola Walker  and Sean Bean,just watched half an hour,but watching paint dry was far better,what dross.

Never liked Bean, but definitely a finalist in the "most punchable face" competition.  I guess he reminds me of someone I once knew.  Great job in Ronin, though.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:46 AM, giddyup said:

This is the worst drought for TV shows and movies that I've ever experienced. It's got to the point where I've even exhausted all repeats of favourites. There must be a lot of people out of work in the film industry. Tough times.

So, it looks like others are noticing this too.

Columbo.  A police detective TV series from the 1970s, definitely a unique character that defies description.  Peter Falk plays the mild-mannered cop whose technique is to annoy people into confessing.   It takes place in Los Angeles so he's usually dealing with tinseltown elite.  Each episode begins with a carefully crafted murder that he has to solve.  After the first season or 2 it seems he was able to cast anyone he wanted; Patrick McGoohan appears as the guest culprit in a few.

I think binge-watching this one might take an effect on the nervous system. :biggrin:

On 8/22/2022 at 1:32 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Red Rose is a very successful  BBC - Netflix co production related to the team that produced Sex Education.

Red Rose, set in Greater Manchester, mainly in the town of Bolton is a mystery-  horror - thriller in a style comparable to Black Mirror. It involves a bunch of teenagers just starting their summer holiday  which goes  frighteningly wrong. Interesting production team with a high percentage  of women  - produced  by the 'Clarkson Twins' with a great  cast of young northern  actors  and actresses.  I would recommend  this intriguing well written  thriller and on the basis of 'Red Rose' I'll check out 'Sex Education ' which I had previously avoided because of its potential  for glib  wokeism.

Hmm.

Well I watched the first episode and found it painfully boring. I can't relate to the characters at all. It came off as a low quality production. So no more Red Rose for me. 

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of the Sex Education show. Pretty much the opposite of Red Rose. It hooks you in hard from episode one, the characters and story lines are highly relatable and entertaining, a very slick production indeed.

Found this one, basically a cheeky prank / Cali dudes bromance show.. 

I do love the name Chad and J.T. Go Deep

Just sampling it now. Probably too sophomoric for my tastes but I intend to go deeper and give it a go.

Protect Our Boarders!

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

Never liked Bean, but definitely a finalist in the "most punchable face" competition.  I guess he reminds me of someone I once knew.  Great job in Ronin, thoug

I thought he has done some really good stuff bendejo-- I mean he is well known for G.O.T  & Lord ring  etc...but the spy thrillers like "Extremely Dangerous" where he is a MI5 agent were better then Ronin. IMO  "Time" the TV prison series got most awards & was on TV just a few months back. And of course he has played roles that a lot of tough guys like him wouldn't touch, like "Transvestite Tracie"  The accused murderer in the psychological thriller along side her boyfriend Stephen Graham. Got best actor of the year for that--again

You wouldn't punch a lady would you ?

image.png.5eeb5163e31e1be284f72fa59f2955d3.png.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:16 PM, giddyup said:

This is the worst drought for TV shows and movies that I've ever experienced. It's got to the point where I've even exhausted all repeats of favourites. There must be a lot of people out of work in the film industry. Tough times.

I think COVID has changed the TV and film industry. Movie theatres are no longer attractive to a lot of people.

I still have a lot of TV shows and movies on my to-watch-list. But if I watch too many in a given day, I get bored even with the good ones.

I generally break my viewing time with YouTube. I find it has a lot of interesting content for all tastes but I have to limit myself because I find it too addictive.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

Anyone else think the new Top Gun was totally overrated? I  found the story tedious and the combat flight scenes unrealistic. Total yawnfest for me.

I watched it last night and agree somewhat. That said, it is still much better than most everything else being produced these days which is why it was so welo rated. It grabbed and held my attention, which is rare these days, for most of the movie. Only deteriorated in the last 25%.

• Like 2