What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 7/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, gargamon said:

How many times do you need to criticize the same movie?

How many times  do we praise  movies? The subjects arise  in conversations but generally  speaking I dont count how many times I praise  or criticise  a movie either in conversations  or threads but if it's useful I'm happy  to reference  things quite frequently such as breaking bad and the  wire. Many different  aspects  of the production to praise. Why? Have you  got  a problem. Do you want to  set a limit? In a 99 pages horizontal  thread shows  get mentioned dozens  of times. BTW What production  are you referring  to? You didn't  make that  clear

On 7/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Another  great  show is  called Witness Number 3. Though it  got low IMDB rating it  is in fact a top rate tense drama ,  interesting camera work with quality cast. It has a claustrophobic , nightmare quality underpinned by  gritty realism .  Basically a  witness to a murder is threatened by a gang of nihlist kids . A great show 

I thought it was brilliant.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Another  great  show is  called Witness Number 3. Though it  got low IMDB rating it  is in fact a top rate tense drama ,  interesting camera work with quality cast. It has a claustrophobic , nightmare quality underpinned by  gritty realism .  Basically a  witness to a murder is threatened by a gang of nihlist kids . A great show 

7 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I thought it was brilliant.

Me too.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:
  On 7/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Me too.

I can only find episode 1.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Still watching NZ criminal caper series Outrageous  Fortune.  I highly recommend  it.

Good call Hammer, thanks for recommending it. I've just finished season 1 and really enjoyed it, particularly the humour.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

Good call Hammer, thanks for recommending it. I've just finished season 1 and really enjoyed it, particularly the humour.

Thanks. I mentioned it last year but repeated  my recommendation because I realised it is good quirky entertainment; a bit unusual; good music; some good plotting; excellent acting; criminal drama; comedy; great  women characters - a bit of everything but potentially  underrated cos it's NZ and not mainstream. I too am enjoying it but for  the second time.

Another excellent  NZ production but serious  not a comedy  is TOTL Top of the lake.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thanks. I mentioned it last year but repeated  my recommendation because I realised it is good quirky entertainment; a bit unusual; good music; some good plotting; excellent acting; criminal drama; comedy; great  women characters - a bit of everything but potentially  underrated cos it's NZ and not mainstream. I too am enjoying it but for  the second time.

Another excellent  NZ production but serious  not a comedy  is TOTL Top of the lake.

Westside is another Kiwi show which is really good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4113078/?ref_=adv_li_tt

• Like 2

I've recently enjoyed watching Redemption season 1. It's a crime drama set in Dublin. DI Colette Cunningham's no nonsense approach to policing has earned her the respect of her Merseyside Police colleagues. She seems unflappable, until she gets a call from the Garda in Dublin after the body of a young woman is discovered. Colette is played by Paula Malcomson, who played Ray Donovan's wife in the series of the same name. She was also in Deadwood & Sons of Anarchy.  Pretty good IMHO and worth a look. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14479480/

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

I see that a classic is soon to be shown for the first time on Netflix. 

I remember seeing this for the first time sneaking into the theater while still underage.

I currently keep a copy in my NAS vault.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/one-of-the-most-banned-movies-of-all-time-is-about-to-be-on-netflix/ar-AA118Y1z?cvid=866ce28ba9db482aa4aa99af81b6ba04

4 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Might be worth checking the time of Netflix's version of 'Clockwork Orange' as some scenes might be deleted.

fmovies has it at 136 mins.

Edited by bobandyson

12 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I remember seeing this for the first time sneaking into the theater while still underage.

I currently keep a copy in my NAS vault.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/one-of-the-most-banned-movies-of-all-time-is-about-to-be-on-netflix/ar-AA118Y1z?cvid=866ce28ba9db482aa4aa99af81b6ba04

If you want to keep a copy, it might be better to hunt out a BR rip remux from the Anniversary Edition (22GB for 1080 or 50GB odd for UHD) - You get the Malcom McDowell / Nick Redman commentary - this to my knowledge is the best, previous blurays were upscaled, Netflix rips can be a somewhat low bitrate.

136mins is the correct running time.

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1

Remember seeing aCO when it first came out.  Thought it was excellent, right up there with 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' with it's message.

Best quote from was 'No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.' ... ????

a-clockwork-orange-eyes.gif

If you haven't seen it already, PLEASE watch INTOUCHABLES,probably the best ever foreign movie and as one IMDB critic puts it "This is one of the most unique, beautiful and honest friendships ever committed to film. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry... a delightful celebration of everything in life that makes it worthwhile."

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Remember seeing aCO when it first came out.  Thought it was excellent, right up there with 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' with it's message.

Best quote from was 'No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.' ... ????

a-clockwork-orange-eyes.gif

I saw it at the films when it first  came out. Thought it was silly and shallow. And not violent and not extreme. I subsequently  read the book. The author  went to my local  school.

So I find myself  in the position of the boy  and the emperor's new clothes.

OFOTCN was a good interpretation  of Kesey's (LSD Merry Prankster) book to which Burt Lancaster  owned the rights. The making of the  film was dependent on Lancaster  playing the lead role. It cost a fortune to buy the rights  of him to allow  JN to play the lead role.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've recently enjoyed watching Redemption season 1. It's a crime drama set in Dublin. DI Colette Cunningham's no nonsense approach to policing has earned her the respect of her Merseyside Police colleagues. She seems unflappable, until she gets a call from the Garda in Dublin after the body of a young woman is discovered. Colette is played by Paula Malcomson, who played Ray Donovan's wife in the series of the same name. She was also in Deadwood & Sons of Anarchy.  Pretty good IMHO and worth a look. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14479480/

Yes it was great. I wish it lasted longer. And given the murders in Liverpool  last week,  very topical. She's a good actress

Edited by The Hammer2021

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom was a film by the political  film maker Passolini. Its an examination of nature of fascism referencing the Nazi occupations  and  Salo but it cross references The Marquis De Sade and The Divine Comedy and other  literary works. I saw it in 1978 but as it had been banned, even the  censored version only academics at private cinemas could view it. The film involves  horrible scenes of degradation  and torture. We left the cinema in London, stunned and went for a meal in Chinatown but non of us could eat. It was Passolinis last movie. I have not seen it since but it came to mind when reading about Clockwork Orange  here on this forum. Has anybody seen it- even the cut censored version?

Edited by The Hammer2021