What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Slightly off topic, but related to downloads. Does anyone have any book authors they would recommend, who write as well as Barry Eisler, Tom Clancy, or Vince Flynn. Even Tom Wood is good enough, with his Victor series. Espionage, assassins, spy stuff, etc? Prefer contemporary, as opposed to historic, like Silva, Ludlum, Forsyth, le Carre, etc. Granted those are great writers, but more historic. 

Have tried so many, and most are real hacks. Lee Child, Joseph Finder, Scot Harvath, Brad Taylor, Ben Does, Brad Thor, Mark Greaney, L.T. Ryan, and others.  

Not spies, but Daniel Woodrell is a great writer - both novels and short stories - dark side gritty.

His masterpiece, Winter's Bone, also made a great film which I recommend.

The novel has more in it than the film and both book and film are worth experiencing.

But everything he's written is worthwhile.

(At least up to a few years ago - haven't checked since then for new books).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Not spies, but Daniel Woodrell is a great writer - both novels and short stories - dark side gritty.

His masterpiece, Winter's Bone, also made a great film which I recommend.

The novel has more in it than the film and both book and film are worth experiencing.

But everything he's written is worthwhile.

(At least up to a few years ago - haven't checked since then for new books).

Someone  tried to start a thread about books but it never took off.

Great gangster series with Tom Hardy. Made before he was really famous. Available  on YouTube.  Based on the prolific  author  Martina Coles 'The Take' one of many of her books set in 60/70s East  end.

Hardy is FEROCIOUS in this  well cast, gritty tough movie.

https://youtu.be/vzB9w6GEU6Q

Check it  out.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Great gangster series with Tom Hardy. Made before he was really famous. Available  on YouTube.  Based on the prolific  author  Martina Coles 'The Take' one of many of her books set in 60/70s East  end.

Hardy is FEROCIOUS in this  well cast, gritty tough movie.

https://youtu.be/vzB9w6GEU6Q

Check it  out.

Yes, I watched this & thought it was very good.

12 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think it's been recommended on here before but just wanted to say that I'm 1/2 way through "The Man Who Fell to Earth" & it's excellent... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10758074/

Also thanks to the guys who recommended I stick with Blacklist Season 9 - Another excellent series which I ended up binge watching over a couple of days, much better than Season 8 & seems to be teeing up for a Season 10.

Watched the first episode last night.  Certainly packed a lot into that.  Definitely gets your attention.  Got 5 more to watch tonight.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Slightly off topic, but related to downloads. Does anyone have any book authors they would recommend, who write as well as Barry Eisler, Tom Clancy, or Vince Flynn. Even Tom Wood is good enough, with his Victor series. Espionage, assassins, spy stuff, etc? Prefer contemporary, as opposed to historic, like Silva, Ludlum, Forsyth, le Carre, etc. Granted those are great writers, but more historic. 

Have tried so many, and most are real hacks. Lee Child, Joseph Finder, Scot Harvath, Brad Taylor, Ben Does, Brad Thor, Mark Greaney, L.T. Ryan, and others.  

Martin Cruz Smith, Elmore Leonard, John Harvey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:
16 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think it's been recommended on here before but just wanted to say that I'm 1/2 way through "The Man Who Fell to Earth" & it's excellent... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10758074/

Also thanks to the guys who recommended I stick with Blacklist Season 9 - Another excellent series which I ended up binge watching over a couple of days, much better than Season 8 & seems to be teeing up for a Season 10.

Expand  

Watched the first episode last night.  Certainly packed a lot into that.  Definitely gets your attention.  Got 5 more to watch tonight.

Some good people acting in it, including Chiwetel Ejiofor, Naomie Harris & Bill Nighy. Think I'll give it a go.

• Like 2

Guest truthman

"The Boys" season 3 has commenced. Amzon prime doesn't seem to get as much publicity as netflix or hbo  but it offers some well-made dramas. The Boys is sort of an anti-Marvel dark comedy about corporate created superheros.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, spidermike007 said:

Charles Cummings is very good. A Spy by Nature, his first book is really good.

• Like 1

Anyone know where The Lady of Heaven can be obtained? only seen hand cams so far. Causing a lot of protests from Sunni muslims so it must be worth a watch, Depicts the life of Fatima the prophets daughter, who the Shia claim was burned to death by Sunni forces. Protests have stopped in being shown in some UK places.

Downloaded the current eight episodes of a western called, "That Dirty Black Bag", and despite some reservations a little way in, I persevered, but have finally deleted the whole lot as IMO it was a mess!

There were continuity problems and whoever was in charge of that did a terrible job, although not as bad as the huge faux pas in the Liam Neeson movie "Memory", but bad enough for me to have to go back through a previous episode (a few times) to see what I had missed, and I hadn't missed anything, just that some of the episodes really did not follow!

I finally managed to get to episode eight which I thought was the last episode, however it appears it wasn't, hence deleting the lot.

It had some good reviews in IMDb, but for me it was, as I said, a mess continuity wise, and also the scenery in some shots was quite clearly not from the USA.

As Johnny Depp has been in the news a lot of late, it reminded me of a movie he made back in 1995, directed by Jim Jarmusch, which I thought was very good, so I downloaded again and watched last night.

It is called, "Dead Man" (not to be confused with Dead Man Walking) and it is an unusual movie, shot in black-and-white, which actually adds to the "unusual aspect of it", and it has a few bit parts from famous actors like Jon Hurt, Robert Mitcham, Gabrielle Byrne and others, and IMO is well worth a watch.

As an afterthought, Jim Jarmusch also directed another favourite of mine called, "Ghost Dog" which starred Forrest Whitaker and although again a little unusual, was very good IMO.

Very disappointed with the new  series of The Outlaws. Although  it has glimmers  of humour its weak, woke, unrealistic with unconvincing character  development. Its storyline is banal and contrived - its not just unbelievable  it is something you can't be bothered  wanting to believe. Dreadful  waste of talent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1