What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 6/5/2022 at 12:10 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

'Big Boys' a British  coming of age comedy about two young men meeting at University - one is a shy but wry gay lad the other is a more  worldly wise, rougher working  class lad. Despite  their differences they forge a friendship.

Notwithstanding the  woke story  line this is not a patronising, preachy ideological production but has a lot of  good laughs and is good entertainment.

I am watching this and it's great. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still pained to understand why you called it a woke story line. Really, why? Gays and straights can't be very good friends? False. Gay people having sex with other races is rare? False. 

This is High School

Sort of a documentary

Looking at a Canadian (British Columbia) high school with each episode focused on some troubled students.

This Is High School (TV Series 2016) - IMDb

This is definitely not must see t.v. The most interesting part was to see how the school's counselor's manage social media bullying. Some of the real life characters are memorable particularly the autistic guy. 

Overall the show confirmed to me what I already assumed, Canada is a much more civilized country than the U.S. I can't imagine that U.S. high school counselors and administrators have the same level of caring for their students as these Canadian ones. Comparing to my own cringe experience with a high school counselor, I feel that I was cheated. 

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Very disappointed with the new  series of The Outlaws. Although  it has glimmers  of humour its weak, woke, unrealistic with unconvincing character  development. Its storyline is banal and contrived - its not just unbelievable  it is something you can't be bothered  wanting to believe. Dreadful  waste of talent.

I haven't had time to watch it yet, however, I really enjoyed S01, and when It finished I was of the opinion that it was a good one shot mini-series, where the plot had come to a conclusion.

I was quite surprised to see a second series. Wether or not its deemed "woke" doesn't seem to worry me at all.

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I haven't had time to watch it yet, however, I really enjoyed S01, and when It finished I was of the opinion that it was a good one shot mini-series, where the plot had come to a conclusion.

I was quite surprised to see a second series. Wether or not its deemed "woke" doesn't seem to worry me at all.

I'm half way through series 2 and am enjoying it.

All of this "woke" talk gets on my tits TBH.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Ben Affleck's acting has really improved over the years... 

Yer I liked movie Paycheck also--I always thought that mid 90s-to--mid 2000s was a great time for movies--then comic book movies seem to take over.

Affleck's directing is good--best director for Argo, But his first few movies didn't make him a millionaire

Salary (17)

Field of Dreams (1989) $30
Daddy (1991) $20,000
School Ties (1992) $30,000
Chasing Amy (1997) $7,000
  • Like 1

Elephant Hospital---ch 5 ....2 parts  ChaosTV............... Filmed in Thailand

They are re-running this on UK TV , (from last night) its 2 years old, I saw it the first time around -- its interesting, over 4,000 Elephants in captivity in Thailand , & countless numbers roaming around.  I had never been so close to an animal like that until I moved up to Issan, Travel the back roads on motorbike & you will always be amongst them.  In season they will stop & "Tax" the sugar cane trucks before they let them pass.  Magnificent animals.

-----------------------

Filmed over four months, this series follows the work of a Thailand hospital devoted solely to treating and saving the lives of elephants. In the first episode, the team of vets are giving an elephant an endoscopy to check on the progress of her cancer treatment, and Paul O'Donoghue helps an elephant arriving with chronic diarrhoea.

image.png.672961327a9a2deed81c0406fc735cf1.png

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 8:55 PM, Will27 said:

This looks like a bit of fun.

I read something that this movie is for Nick Cage fans, which I thought was surprising: he has fans? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Series 1. It was  published at the  time of its release that they had shot a series  2 also, due for release in June. I anticipated  it with pleasure and referenced it in other posts.  But series 2 is barely credible with absurd character  changes that don't make sense. They storyline has no credibility and even its attempts to preach why 'woke' can be bad is patronising  rubbish. Like so much well intentioned propaganda it preaches down to its audience. The various, numerous  faults are so numerous its difficult  to list them all. It's a wet,  weak, woke, clichéd, lazy production almost embarrassing to watch and I suspect embarrassing  to to be part of which shows in the actors' performances. It rates about 2 on 5.

17 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Is that a requirement?

If you look on IMDB it clearly shows the locations where it was filmed:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7809420/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Some people might think so, however the change in scenery from something which was clearly shot in the US, to a next scene which looks like it was shot on another planet, does stretch credibility a bit.

The Clint Eastwood "spaghetti movies" were shot in Spain (and the studio) where the scenery resembled aspects of scenery in the US, and it didn't jump around to different locations, so the continuity was intact.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Very disappointed with the new  series of The Outlaws. Although  it has glimmers  of humour its weak, woke, unrealistic with unconvincing character  development. Its storyline is banal and contrived - its not just unbelievable  it is something you can't be bothered  wanting to believe. Dreadful  waste of talent.

just downloaded it and tried to watch it ,but your right its terrible ,such a shame .

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

just downloaded it and tried to watch it ,but your right its terrible ,such a shame .

It is a shame- the whole drugs line - crack dealing  sub plot seemed superfluous somehow especially  with artificial matching of the business  models, the unnecessary details about drug dealing, the doing it "to put money on the table" - stupidly repeated.

The Outlaws' childish hysteria to drugs so hammily acted - it was embarrassing-

The woke reporters 'out woking' the woke white YouTube influencer followed byb the speech by the black activist to defend the influencer and put down the woke media bullies was cringe worthy preaching that was  embarrassing. And the 'fairy godmother' solves everything ending - a clichéd formula that again is just lazy and weak.

Series 1 was excellent but Series 2 was dreadful.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:05 PM, xylophone said:

I am trying to download, "The Kings Man", however when I have seen it available on 1337x.to and Limetorrents, and then I download it, I get something completely different, and it seems to be something about betting??

I've tried deleting and reloading both of the above torrent sites, as well as doing the same with my uTorrent app, but to no avail, and not only that I can't seem to find this movie elsewhere – – suggestions most welcomed please?

Torrentday

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Series 1 was excellent but Series 2 was dreadful.

I thought series 1 of the Outlaws was barely watchable, could hardly finish it. I'll watch a couple of episodes of series 2 to see how bad it really is. Maybe it's so bad it's entertaining...

There's a similar series from around 10 years ago called Misfits, very high quality entertainment. Highly recommended. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

I thought series 1 of the Outlaws was barely watchable, could hardly finish it. I'll watch a couple of episodes of series 2 to see how bad it really is. Maybe it's so bad it's entertaining...

There's a similar series from around 10 years ago called Misfits, very high quality entertainment. Highly recommended. 

Yes Misfits was great indeed and it was ten years ago during  which  time woke puritanical  values have imposed themselves on productions so much they might have destroyed comedy.  It's said that 'Friends' could not be made in the current climate because its now deemed 'offensive,' too white!, not diverse enough.

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The simple title of, turns me off.

I know what a woman is ... what you prefer to call yourself, is UP2U

Woman = human homo sapien with the ability to give birth to human offspring.

Man (so no confusion) = human homo sapien born with a penis

UP2U what you call yourself, but don't try to convince otherwise.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:42 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Great gangster series with Tom Hardy. Made before he was really famous. Available  on YouTube.  Based on the prolific  author  Martina Coles 'The Take' one of many of her books set in 60/70s East  end.

Hardy is FEROCIOUS in this  well cast, gritty tough movie.

https://youtu.be/vzB9w6GEU6Q

Check it  out.

Thank you......watched "The Take" last night and thought it was great.

I don't know anyone who does evil/nasty villains and criminals quite like Tom Hardy, and his acting in this miniseries was a testament to his acting craft.

I did watch another of his movies called, "Locke" in which he was none of the above mentioned, but it was a superb performance by him.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:26 PM, truthman said:

"The Boys" season 3 has commenced. Amzon prime doesn't seem to get as much publicity as netflix or hbo  but it offers some well-made dramas. The Boys is sort of an anti-Marvel dark comedy about corporate created superheros.

Just finished the first season of The Boys!

The Boys (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb rating 8.7/10

Wow, incredible adult entertainment.

Never laughed so much!

Apologies for staying on topic and omitting ideological/political commentary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thank you......watched "The Take" last night and thought it was great.

I don't know anyone who does evil/nasty villains and criminals quite like Tom Hardy, and his acting in this miniseries was a testament to his acting craft.

I did watch another of his movies called, "Locke" in which he was none of the above mentioned, but it was a superb performance by him.

Martina Cole wrote the book. She is a prolific  author about the British  criminal  underworld especially  the east end. There have been three other movies  or series based on her books but I'm not sure if they are as good as The Take. You can always pick her  books up cheap in second hand book shops.

You can check which  of her books has been filmed on wiki. One is called The Runaways I think.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, Thailand said:

The Duke -Jim Broadbent Helen Mirren

A true movie about the theft of The Duke Of Wellington painting by Goya.

A nice movie!

Thanks for that, it was excellent & I never would have found--just never heard of it.

Watching it for moments there I thought I was a kid back home in the counsel house,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Just finished the first season of The Boys!

The Boys (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb rating 8.7/10

Wow, incredible adult entertainment.

Never laughed so much!

Apologies for staying on topic and omitting ideological/political commentary. 

The two  are not mutually exclusive for those viewers  who have a wider world view, an education and political sensibilities. A modicum  of knowledge  of semiotics or structural analysis knows that all media carries an ideological  load. Its  entirely  natural that sometimes it will arise as part of a critique. But one section  of people are keen to suppress this aspect of media analysis and appreciation. THEY PRETEND they don't make political  comments  but they even when virtuously claiming to be 'on topic ' - that is a statement  in itself- pretending not to be a political statement. But its disingenuous.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just enjoyed watching We Own This City season 1, which is a crime drama set in Baltimore. It's well worth a look IMHO. This has already been mentioned previously by other posters in this forum.

I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14192504/

Yep I rate it as one of the best productions this year. Very , very harsh and more real than any documentary. I reviewed  it in detail. And would  recommend it. Its much better than 61st Street.

• Like 1