Retiring to Thailand UK resident

Kevin1908

Getting more fed up by the day in the UK so think now is the time to bite the bullet and retire to Thailand. So looking at what I need yo do by way of a visa and putting my affairs in the UK in order.

Looking at my UK state pension it says the following :

Report a change in your circumstances

Report changes (such as a change of address or bank details) to the International Pension Centre by phone or in writing - do not send changes by email.

If you’re asked to fill in a ‘life certificate’

You may get a ‘life certificate’ form from the Department for Work and Pensions to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

Now why would a UK resident who has contributed to the state pension scheme not be eligible (in some circumstances) to a UK state pension. Can anybody throw any light on this requirement? 

2 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You might be dead in which case you would not qualify.

Well that is true if you remain in the UK also. Any way it doesn't say that you need to prove that you are still alive, it says that you are still eligible ie in certain circumstances you are not eligible.

Don’t worry about the life certificate, it’s a formality that all pension providers apply.

Focus on your retirement income and does it meet your needs.

First check you have sufficient qualifying years of NI contributions to get the full state pension, if not consider paying up missing years.

Secondly, understand you will not receive annual cost of living increases to your state pension when you move to Thailand  factor this into your income planning.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

There are one or two members who openly boast on this forum that they don’t inform the DWP of their change of circumstances and lie that they are living at an address in the UK, maybe a friend or relative, so that they can still receive the annual increases.

I suspect that most of us think that our integrity is more important than lying to the DWP, and getting friends or relatives to lie, just to receive an increase in their pensions that they’re not legally entitled to.

That said the frozen pension issue is certainly wrong, and regularly discussed on this forum, though obtaining an increase by deception is morally wrong.

It wise to commit fraud against a Government from which you Ned a passport:

Royal_Prerogative_-__V4.pdf#page5

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fredscats said:

"Legally entitled to"  so your elongated holier than thou statement suggest there is corruption (integrity  lol,)or maybe the green eyed monster at play,nothing is further than the truth.

The morals of this are the UK gov. are denying the ability of the effected pensioner to sustain a reasonable future standard of living in contrast to others who have made the same sacrifice of payments for decades 

There is nothing legal/illegal about this trumped up ridiculous statement of yours,what's more nobody ,(inc me) has lied to anyone,and as the visa the OP is applying for states "Temporary stay in the Kingdom"

Its up to the OP to decide regardless of the warning buffoons who come spilling out of the woodwork at the very mention of potential frozen pension,you can keep your morals and stick it where the sun don't shine, it don't pay the bills,and with a looming 10% increase on the cards next time around,to consider

PS I am legally entitled to the increase  ,show where it states otherwise,plus penalty?

????????????????????????  Here here on all counts and observations on that other pompous individual, to whom you replied.   I would also add, that uk expats living in Thailand do not use the NHS, thus saving money for the government.   And ironically if we return to UK on holiday and require medical assistance from a hospital, we have to pay for it.  This rule is now almost 3 years old.

But if I am an illegal immigrant or refugee, who has probably paid nothing into the NHS, then they are welcomed.  No....that is not a racist or xenophobic statement.   Merely the Truth!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

????????????????????????  Here here on all counts and observations on that other pompous individual, to whom you replied.   I would also add, t

Ha Ha, when I said “That said the frozen pension issue is certainly wrong” I meant the frozen pension issue is certainly wrong, I apologise if that was confusing.

50 minutes ago, fredscats said:

"Legally entitled to"  so your elongated holier than thou statement suggest there is corruption (integrity  lol,)or maybe the green eyed monster at play,nothing is further than the truth.

The morals of this are the UK gov. are denying the ability of the effected pensioner to sustain a reasonable future standard of living in contrast to others who have made the same sacrifice of payments for decades 

There is nothing legal/illegal about this trumped up ridiculous statement of yours,what's more nobody ,(inc me) has lied to anyone,and as the visa the OP is applying for states "Temporary stay in the Kingdom"

Its up to the OP to decide regardless of the warning buffoons who come spilling out of the woodwork at the very mention of potential frozen pension,you can keep your morals and stick it where the sun don't shine, it don't pay the bills,and with a looming 10% increase on the cards next time around,to consider

PS I am legally entitled to the increase  ,show where it states otherwise,plus penalty?

How can anyone determine your rights to pension increases without knowing where you reside?

A retiree’s entitlement to pensions is governed by the attached.  

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/rates-of-state-pension

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How can anyone determine your rights to pension increases without knowing where you reside?

A retiree’s entitlement to pensions is governed by the attached.  

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/rates-of-state-pension

For starters you can quote whatever, have no clue about anything,been proven for years,begone with you,not even UK citizen,on ignore list where quite a few have you

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

Now why would a UK resident who has contributed to the state pension scheme not be eligible (in some circumstances) to a UK state pension. Can anybody throw any light on this requirement? 

Don't tell anyone you've left unless you want a world of hurt.

Keep a UK address for your bank, pension, IFA, Doctor, NHS ....... they don't need to know where you are.

Life certificates are only for those who have foolishly declared they are living outside the UK.

It's also useful to keep a UK phone number, Skype can provide this for $22/quarter, and you can select your town of residence for caller ID. Phoning UK numbers is $10 extra for 400 minutes credit.

PS. If you declare you live outside the UK, you are no longer entitled to have a UK driving licence.

How useful is that?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 8:02 PM, BritManToo said:

How useful is that?

Arguably if not living there you don't need one..............:biggrin:

And for the record I am registered as non-resident for tax with HMRC (even though I still pay so that is a bit of a non sequitur) but no one has asked me for my driving licence......... 

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Arguably if not living there you don't need one..............:biggrin:

And for the record I am registered as non-resident for tax with HMRC (even though I still pay so that is a bit of a non sequitur) but no one has asked me for my driving licence......... 

Not quite,renting a car in some far flung place,needs one

Its this piece Britmantoo        " It's also useful to keep a UK phone number, Skype can provide this for $22/quarter, and you can select your town of residence for caller ID. Phoning UK numbers is $10 extra for 400 minutes credit." The app has to be continually opened obv to receive/make calls

Keeping a UK sim card  3 have some at 6 pound a month,sound better bet,but calls are going to be expensive,but no app

Edited by fredscats

1 minute ago, fredscats said:

Not quite,renting a car in some far flung place,needs one

Does it? Why not use the licence of the country you live in plus an IDP if necessary. 

I used my Thai licence to rent in the UK in November 2021 so actually "quite" - whatever was not quite........

1 minute ago, topt said:

Does it? Why not use the licence of the country you live in plus an IDP if necessary. 

I used my Thai licence to rent in the UK in November 2021 so actually "quite" - whatever was not quite........

Unless you took a driving test" quite" independently or converted the UK licence

1 minute ago, fredscats said:

Unless you took a driving test" quite" independently or converted the UK licence

I will be polite and ask what exactly is your point in relation either to the original comment I responded to (or even my previous one) - because, without being potentially impolite, I  have no idea. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, thonglorjimmy said:

There are one or two members who openly boast on this forum that they don’t inform the DWP of their change of circumstances and lie that they are living at an address in the UK, maybe a friend or relative, so that they can still receive the annual increases.

I suspect that most of us think that our integrity is more important than lying to the DWP, and getting friends or relatives to lie, just to receive an increase in their pensions that they’re not legally entitled to.

That said the frozen pension issue is certainly wrong, and regularly discussed on this forum, though obtaining an increase by deception is morally wrong.

It's better to return to UK for a bit. I return for late summer and a bit of autumn

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's better to return to UK for a bit. I return for late summer and a bit of autumn

On 1/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, thonglorjimmy said:

Expand  

Ill agree to that,but not for the reasons below your post

No legislation,no punishment,no nothing in any regard to going international OAP,better keeping it domestic (UK).

No boasting,change of circumstances?   

I have to report the fact that I have to report ,that I have nothing to report.End of report

(not going international) should read
Edited by fredscats
  • Haha 1

I dont think there are many who come here to retire who go back to the UK to live so that should tell you something and you wont find much health and safety, political correctness or the wokes here.

What a lot of people do is to get a multi entry visa and then convert it to a retirement visa  in the year you have it so its worth having a look at the requirements for both of those, the local Immigration Office in Thailand can do the switch for you, Have you thought about where you might want to settle if not then do a bit of travelling and see the country before you make the decision.

Have a look at current requirements for entry, covid insurance is required. Age and getting insurance is something you need to decide quickly on if you are coming up to SP age also its a big step to take if you think its what you want start and tidy up your UK affairs, Nationwide will allow you keep one of their accounts with a Thai address most other banks and financial institutions are for UK residents only so be aware and deal with it. There is no NHS cover here so you will have to pay as you go or insure, again age and cost are issues to consider but also consider that the Thai winter is like the English summer and people do not die of the cold here.

Good Luck.