Travel agency TUI receives more criticism after Norwegian family was isolated in Thailand

webfact

On 1/1/2022 at 1:08 AM, MikeN said:

If you read the linked article they chose to send the oldest son to hospital Our oldest son had childhood asthma, so we are a little worried about how he copes with it. So we thought it was safest if he went to the hospital 

Of course, I guess the parents who tested negative could have stayed at the hotel instead of looking after their kids. Would that make you happy ?

Yes, thank you. I went to read the entire article, as I should have done before commenting the first time....
The excerpt posted here is somewhat misleading. After reading the article, I didn't find the family to be complaining at all, as many people here are assuming. The article and excerpt mention criticism, which I supposed could be thought of as similar to complaining, but I found the things that the mother said, just stating the sad situation as it is in her experience and lamenting it, not particularly blaming anyone. They didn't even blame the travel agency who didn't give the information that they wished they would have had. They only said that they didn't provide it.
Oh, by the way, it didn't say that "they chose to send the oldest son to hospital". It did say that the younger one "had to be placed in isolation in the hospital for 10 days" and it is inferred that the older one later was also required to quarantine at the hospital ("my husband and 11 year old have to stay for a full ten days" - emphasis mine) and that the family agreed that "it was safest if he went to the hospital as well". But regardless of choice or not, it seems clear to me that the situation isn't how so many in this forum are assuming it to be. Of course that is pretty much par for the course, especially when dealing with partial information from media and that media/article being reduced even further to an excerpt.
Thanks for your encouragement to read the article in its entirety. That's what I should have done to begin with.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:46 AM, Virt said:

Maybe i used a wrong word to describe it.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.27.21268278v1

Our findings confirm that the rapid spread of the Omicron VOC primarily can be ascribed to the immune evasiveness rather than an inherent increase in the basic transmissibility.

Another study just out from Denmark

A virus can be more transmissible due to a number of reasons, such as the time it lingers in the air, its ability to latch onto cells, or its evasion of the body's immune system.

Investigating nearly 12,000 Danish households in mid-December, the scientists found that Omicron was 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the Delta variant among vaccinated Danes.

The study, conducted by researchers at University of Copenhagen, Statistics Denmark and Statens Serum Institut (SSI), suggests the virus is mainly spreading more rapidly because it is better at evading immunity obtained from vaccines.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-evades-immunity-better-than-delta-danish-study-finds-2022-01-03/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

My BIL, his wife and son are staying with us for the New Year. They live in Samut Prakan. Last night my wife told me that he was a maintenance man for a condo block down there and was on an extended break as the condo is running out of renters.

It is starting to get a bit closer to home now.

They are more than welcome and he has been doing some of the round tuit jobs that I have been able to get to.

I can understand that Bill.  My wife had a condo there when she worked in Bangkok near her sisters house which was also there. My wife sold about 15 years ago and her sister about 11, both developments had seen better days at the time.

Although they both now live in Chonburi they still use the Paolo hospital there so we are over that way fairly regularly.

Now that the Skytrain goes through there I suspect many have moved upmarket to the newer developments a bit further out. The newer development I have seen both there and here have been towards townhouses rather than condos, probably due to a faster return. There is a huge one not far from us, started about five or six years ago and had some occupied within a year. I think all the houses are occupied now and they are coming to the end with some shops along the front. The same company started another about about a year ago, roughly the same size and about a mile away, looks like the first ones are about ready for occupation.

I could be doing with some help  at times, beginning to feel the age. My brother in law is only a couple of hundred yards away, but it could be miles. When it comes to maintenance it is a case of brute force and ignorance. He is always trying to be helpful but invariably I end up having to put it right, shouldn't complain he is very good in other ways.

At the end of the day you have to make the best of the hand you are dealt, and the weather our way at the moment is as good as you would want.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, Jeff Olssson said:

I would generally agree that one needs to find all information about the regulations before traveling but I also think travel agencies bear the responsibility to clearly inform people about the risks of traveling under the current pandemic but they don’t provide full information because it simply is not in their economical interest.

not travel agent business…..rightly unconcerned with Health, Politics, Airline Safety , Laws, Crime…..need I go on ……

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another study just out from Denmark

A virus can be more transmissible due to a number of reasons, such as the time it lingers in the air, its ability to latch onto cells, or its evasion of the body's immune system.

Investigating nearly 12,000 Danish households in mid-December, the scientists found that Omicron was 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the Delta variant among vaccinated Danes.

The study, conducted by researchers at University of Copenhagen, Statistics Denmark and Statens Serum Institut (SSI), suggests the virus is mainly spreading more rapidly because it is better at evading immunity obtained from vaccines.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-evades-immunity-better-than-delta-danish-study-finds-2022-01-03/

Yeah i read that too ???? 

If you want to dig in, the report is here.

Shows the unvaxed are still overrepresented in the stastitics, so still a good idea to get a shot.

Their report is a mix of english /danish.

Overall it's positive that this report too shows omicron tends to be milder than Delta. 

But we don't know the exact numbers of omicron in Denmark anymore.

Until Sunday 19th December 2021 near all positive SARS-CoV-2 samples were tested with variant PCR to identify Omicron cases. As of Monday 20th December 2021 only a representative sample of the positive SARS-CoV-2 samples are tested with variant PCR at TCDK, hence, the number of identified Omicron cases of does not represent the total number of Omicron cases in Denmark.

https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/omikron/statusrapport/rapport-omikronvarianten-03012022-9gj3 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Why do you think you'd be quarantined if your only a close contact? I don't think that's the case. You'd be told to stay home and isolate, told to take a test and only quarantined if positive. That's my understanding anyway. 

Nope, there have been several cases - some reported on here.  One regarding a guy who travelled in a taxi from the airport with a guy who tested positive - he was made to quarantine.

20 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Nope, there have been several cases - some reported on here.  One regarding a guy who travelled in a taxi from the airport with a guy who tested positive - he was made to quarantine.

News out today,home isolation for people with no symptoms. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I can understand that Bill.  My wife had a condo there when she worked in Bangkok near her sisters house which was also there. My wife sold about 15 years ago and her sister about 11, both developments had seen better days at the time.

Although they both now live in Chonburi they still use the Paolo hospital there so we are over that way fairly regularly.

Now that the Skytrain goes through there I suspect many have moved upmarket to the newer developments a bit further out. The newer development I have seen both there and here have been towards townhouses rather than condos, probably due to a faster return. There is a huge one not far from us, started about five or six years ago and had some occupied within a year. I think all the houses are occupied now and they are coming to the end with some shops along the front. The same company started another about about a year ago, roughly the same size and about a mile away, looks like the first ones are about ready for occupation.

I could be doing with some help  at times, beginning to feel the age. My brother in law is only a couple of hundred yards away, but it could be miles. When it comes to maintenance it is a case of brute force and ignorance. He is always trying to be helpful but invariably I end up having to put it right, shouldn't complain he is very good in other ways.

At the end of the day you have to make the best of the hand you are dealt, and the weather our way at the moment is as good as you would want.

Have a good day.

My BIL went home today but while he was here he fixed a lot of electrical bits but he didn't have time to clean the a/c's. He also managed to fix the problem that I couldn't get to. He certainly earned his keep while he was up here. 

There are still a few round tuit jobs outstanding but I can do most of them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

My BIL went home today but while he was here he fixed a lot of electrical bits but he didn't have time to clean the a/c's. He also managed to fix the problem that I couldn't get to. He certainly earned his keep while he was up here. 

There are still a few round tuit jobs outstanding but I can do most of them.

Glad to hear. I ought to get mine cleaned while they are not being used, tends to get left till needed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As a side thought.... in the midst of a pandemic, would I share a taxi from the airport? (Not unless it was someone I had travelled with). 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, jacko45k said:

As a side thought.... in the midst of a pandemic, would I share a taxi from the airport? (Not unless it was someone I had travelled with). 

My thoughts exactly, I contacted the hotel and they agreed they would send a taxi for me and me only.