Travel agency TUI receives more criticism after Norwegian family was isolated in Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, BusyB said:

And also make sure you have it in writing that your insurance will pay if you are hospitalized with no symptoms ...

Wow! good point I never thought of "without symptoms". Has anyone come across a policy like that?

38 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Even your full quote before did not prevent you from answering to something that had nothing to do with the post you quoted.

I had the decency of quoting your full post and it had everything to do with it. A comparison between a forced private room in a hospital even if you have no symptoms or an ASQ hotel which is a tenth of the cost and just as effective.

With that I'll leave it there as no more needs to be added from my part, good day and have fun.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:18 AM, BritManToo said:

I never did anything like that when I was a tourist.

And also the rules change so quickly, what you read the week before, is different when you arrive.

Presumably the western insurance companies will get tired of being gouged and just refuse to cover Thailand, along with the airlines refusing to fly here.

I do not understand politicians from democratic countries who deal with countries ruled by soldiers who were not elected by the ordinary people.

If I was an MP or cabinet member of ie, the UK, I would not get involved with the likes of Thailand and their "politicians", who have no more intelligence than the average Somchai or Lek, and would also recommend that airlines and other businesses. ie insurance companies refuse to deal with them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If I was an MP or cabinet member of ie, the UK, I would not get involved with the likes of Thailand and their "politicians", who have no more intelligence than the average Somchai or Lek, and would also recommend that airlines and other businesses. ie insurance companies refuse to deal with them.

What if you were a UK MP who was given a 2 week all paid 'fact finding' trip to Phuket?

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What if you were a UK MP who was given a 2 week all paid 'fact finding' trip to Phuket?

If I were a UK MP, I would be that rich that I would avoid any country run by soldiers, even if it was a free junket.

There are plenty of proper country's to go to.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If I were a UK MP, I would be that rich that I would avoid any country run by soldiers, even if it was a free junket.

There are plenty of proper country's to go to.

Your moral standards are probably far too high to ever be a UK MP.

These are 'rich' guys that bang their assistants, lie to their constituents and cheat on their expenses.

(much the same as the Thai MPs)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 9:59 AM, smew said:

Gents, simply put it , an insurance scam. Had similar situation: second covid test inconclusive and hotel wants to send me to hospital, requested second test was denied. Refused to go to hospital.
Later found out hotel gets referral fee of approx 6000 baht, simple case of revenues 

So that's another get rich quick scheme for some hotels. How some professions are getting rich from this pandemic.

The rich have got a very big advantage over the poor in the world, and that is why this pandemic will last a lot longer than it needs to.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, joecoolfrog said:

You are not considering the bigger picture Rob.

Everybody in Thailand is being exposed to unnecessary risk because the average citizen is avoiding being tested , and who can blame them ?

The current system is simply not fit for purpose , there is no way on earth that the health system could accomodate the true number of covid infections.

In reality the domestic population are largely only tested once they become seriously ill , there are tens of thousands of mild cases strolling around but unacounted for.

The incarcenation of international visitors is consequently nothing more than a money grab.

Either test the whole country (,and if the UK can do 1 million + tests a day , so can Thailand) or test nobody.

Those who are ill go to hospital , those that are not isolate at home.

Yes it means the government will have to compensate those who miss work , but if the health of the nation is the priority......

The health of the nation is nowhere near any of the priorities of this unelected soldier posing as a PM or any of the rest of his soldiers.

Their only priorities are to themselves.

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

As for Omicron being more transmissible through air, there is no evidence of that

There is ample evidence. Though you may not have read it.

All variants of SARS-CoV-2 have been transmissible through the air.

Early variants required more virus to cause infection, so were droplet rather than aerosol transmissible.

But the relative importance of the different size of droplets depends on the infectiousness of the different strains, so it becomes much more important to have protection against those aerosols, those smaller droplets and, really, it’s a combination of physics.

"So, if a smaller droplet, an aerosol, has less virus in it but if that virus is more infectious, you can get infected with the smaller droplets. When we saw [the virus] early on, you needed a larger dose of the virus, so it was much more important in protecting yourself from the larger droplets,”

The papers showing exactly how much more transmissible and the amount of virus needed are still being researched, but it’s absolutely clear that airborne transmission is much more likely.

For a local report, note the sizes if droplets has probably been mistranslated 

Elaborating on the short-range transmission model, Dr Nithipat said the virus can be carried by very fine aerosol measuring less than 50 micrometers in diameter. This type of aerosol, which can easily be inhaled by others, can remain suspended in the air longer than larger forms of droplets of less than 5 micrometers in diameter.

According to the latest findings concerning the Omicron variant, which can remain in a patient’s upper respiratory tract for an extended period of time, those with the Omicron strain can expel the virus by talking, shouting, singing, coughing, and sneezing.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, webfact said:

“We thought that if we became infected with covid-19, we would be able to isolate ourselves in the hotel room. There was no mention of any hospital stay.

So who are you blaming, did you look into this thoroughly, obviously not.

We got the impression from TUI that it was safe to come.

So take it up with them, nothing to do with Thailand, as I am sure most travellers no in most countries, that if you enter and are positive, your chances of being quarantined are very high. Again, you left it up to TUI to tell you what you wanted to hear, but I am sure they told you what would happen, but you just didn't listen, on the other hand if they mislead you, good luck getting a refund, or them paying your hospital bill if your not insured.

Had we known that we would have to go to the hospital if we became infected, we would not have left,” Silje Hoel Nikolic says

Again, your blaming it on someone else, the Thai's are good at that, but on this occasion they are not to blame, only person to blame is yourself. Bit of advice, look into things yourself, don't trust or take the advice of others without also checking things out yourself, especially if it's a sales transaction.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:35 PM, topt said:

Not even now.

I arrived back 30th December. On checking into my Test and Go hotel I had to sign a form saying that if I tested positive with my PCR test I would have to be interred (my words) at their partner hospital which is at Lam Cheabang.

I wonder what would have happened if I had refused to sign........... 

"I wonder what would have happened if I had refused to sign..........."   I bet no one answers that.

43 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is ample evidence. Though you may not have read it.

All variants of SARS-CoV-2 have been transmissible through the air.

Early variants required more virus to cause infection, so were droplet rather than aerosol transmissible.

The papers showing exactly how much more transmissible and the amount of virus needed are still being researched, but it’s absolutely clear that airborne transmission is much more likely.

For a local report, note the sizes if droplets has probably been mistranslated 

I certainly do not dispute it could be more airborne than delta but as I said there is no evidence provided by a study to confirm that as yet. What has been evidenced so far is that it takes a much smaller viral load to get infected because of its duplication in your air track.

Months ago, the spread of Delta was reported by the U.S. CDC to be more like chickenpox (varicella) virus in terms of airborne spread (droplet nuclei). Is Omicron even more airborne, moving it closer toward somewhere between chickenpox and measles virus? How long can Omicron stay suspended in the air compared with Delta or Alpha or the original virus found in 2019 in Wuhan or the early 2020 D614G virus?

Edited by Bkk Brian

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I certainly do not dispute it could be more airborne than delta but as I said there is no evidence provided by a study to confirm that as yet.

I do, if any of the virus version was as 'airborne' as people are saying, there'd be a lot more cases, including myself.  

Social distancing and my immune system will only get me so far, and we were out & about quite a bit, with plenty of unavoidable constant, customer service folks contact, physically / arms reach, so if airborne, yea, me, no mask, no goggles, I'd been sick long ago.

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I certainly do not dispute it could be more airborne than delta but as I said there is no evidence provided by a study to confirm that as yet.

Months ago, the spread of Delta was reported by the U.S. CDC to be more like chickenpox (varicella) virus in terms of airborne spread (droplet nuclei). Is Omicron even more airborne, moving it closer toward somewhere between chickenpox and measles virus? How long can Omicron stay suspended in the air compared with Delta or Alpha or the original virus found in 2019 in Wuhan or the early 2020 D614G virus?

Since The first case of Omicron was announced on 24 November by South Africa it is hardly surprising that no studies have been completed far less published.

since it is clear that Omicron is vastly more infectious than the original and many times more than Delta. The inference that fewer viruses are needed for infection is clear from its extremely rapid spread. The fact that a single individual in a household having Omicron guarantees that every individual in the household who is susceptible will contract it (this was not true of the original or even delta). All of these along with the non contact infections of Omicron are all sufficient to act as if it will be proven to be aerosolised. 

Only misguided gamblers will wait for studies before action.

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Since The first case of Omicron was announced on 24 November by South Africa it is hardly surprising that no studies have been completed far less published.

since it is clear that Omicron is vastly more infectious than the original and many times more than Delta. The inference that fewer viruses are needed for infection is clear from its extremely rapid spread. The fact that a single individual in a household having Omicron guarantees that every individual in the household who is susceptible will contract it (this was not true of the original or even delta). All of these along with the non contact infections of Omicron are all sufficient to act as if it will be proven to be aerosolised. 

Only misguided gamblers will wait for studies before action.

Plenty of studies issued already on Omicron, probably more is such a short space of time than any other variant in the same time span. However I agree with your last sentence> "Only misguided gamblers will wait for studies before action."

Might be a bit of topic, but a bit related to being isolated in a hospital if tested negative.

They just dug through the data here in Denmark and almost 10% of those that were so sick that they required hospital care, were people that already were admitted for something else, and then got covid at the hospital.

So maybe it's not a good idea to put people that tested negative in a place where there are other positive cases in the same building.

In theory you could be 100% COVID free but isolated because one of your family members tested negative. You get to hospital and are supposed to stay there 7 days , but you somehow get covid on day 5 in the hospital and on day 7 when you're supposed to get out, you suddenly test positive.

Then you just won a prolonged stay at to the hospital.

Just a thought, since i would assume the chances of getting covid at the hospitals in Thailand are somewhat the same as here.

Not sure if Thailand or other countries made a similar study.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I certainly do not dispute it could be more airborne than delta but as I said there is no evidence provided by a study to confirm that as yet. What has been evidenced so far is that it takes a much smaller viral load to get infected because of its duplication in your air track.

A small danish study that has not yet been peer reviewed indicates that omicron are not on par with measles as some say.

It's spreading so fast because it's better to break through immunity compared to the other variants.

Study indicate omicrons transmissibility is more like the alpha variant with reproduction numbers of 3-4 where measles are 12-15

Study also showed it's still a good idea to be vaccinated since it also covered naturally immunity and immunity by vaccination.

Site in danish but can you Google translate to read it.

There is also a link to the study itself in article.

Not peer reviewed....

https://videnskab.dk/krop-sundhed/unikt-dansk-corona-studie-bekraefter-omikron-er-bedre-til-at-undslippe-immunitet-end?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

Wow! good point I never thought of "without symptoms". Has anyone come across a policy like that?

I think I've read a couple of times that Axa covers asymptomatic hospitalization, but I haven't researched if that's their general international insurance or the Thailand specific scams for O-A visas etc ...

Maybe someone'll come along and clue us in ...

For now I'm just observing ... too many incalculables.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uroller said:

You must be very naive to holiday abroad during Covid especially Thailand without fully understanding the rules your destination country has in place, sorry for them but they  have no recourse????

The word naive are often used as negative word.

In my opinion it's a positive word.

Don't confuse naitivity with ignorance or being dumb.

Should they have researched a bit more.

Yes absolutely.

Is it easy to find info what will happen if you test positive on arrival.

Not in those pages i browsed through.

It should be headlines and written in bold, since it can have such a big impact on the vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virt said:

Study indicate omicrons transmissibility is more like the alpha variant with reproduction numbers of 3-4 where measles are 12-15

The study is flawed if that is what it is finding. 

Delta was 80~90% more transmissible than Alpha, Omicron is so much more transmissible than Delta that Delta is being wiped out by Omicron QED Omicron is much more transmissible than Alpha. 

Information on variants

however the good news is that Omicron is producing fewer hospitalised patients in most countries.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I do, if any of the virus version was as 'airborne' as people are saying, there'd be a lot more cases, including myself.  

Social distancing and my immune system will only get me so far, and we were out & about quite a bit, with plenty of unavoidable constant, customer service folks contact, physically / arms reach, so if airborne, yea, me, no mask, no goggles, I'd been sick long ago.

Well its scientifically proven right back to the original strain that its transmissible by inhalation of air carrying very small fine droplets and aerosol particles. The question is how much more Omicron is than others.

• Like 1