So what are your new year golf resolutions?

ASEAN NOW News

Thank god it is now 2022. 

So most of us will say good riddens to 2021, but there were a few positives like the green fees were low and the weather was good.

Looking forward to 2022, at least most Thai courses are in good condition, and with less golf vacationers expected , the courses should be fairly empty for us expats.

So what are your new year golf resolutions?

golfers-golf-course-thailand-pattaya-may-unidentified-men-putting-green-th-hole-green-valley-st-andrews-may-pattaya-31541453.jpg.c9114a6cf26e3ba78752fe009e0b6e52.jpg

Hit further and lower your handicap?

Stay out of the water?

Buy some new clubs?

Add new grips?

Take a few lessons.

Spend more time warming up at the driving range?

Or just continue booking pretty caddies and have fun?

Let us know what you want to change in 2022?

• 1 month later...

I'm not a resolution kinda guy but the plans for this year are to get into using my new amazing sim room during wet season (and a few times a week during dry season), to practice at the driving range a few times a week, have a lesson each week, and play rounds (as part of the yearly calendar) with my coach and lower handicap players whenever I can.

To travel around LOS and play, maybe a golf trip/Euro trip if things are more open and easy for travel before Euro winter comes around again.

To continue my yoga practice (it really supports balance, groundedness, weight sensitivity [proprioception] and easy/safe flexibility during the swing) - I recommend it to all golfers especially as you get older!

Work on the dreaded mid-handicaper problem of hitting just behind the ball (about 30% of my shots) - which results in loss of directional control - loss in distance - and hotter shots - loss of spin on green approach shots.

Improve my short game chipping and half-club shots around the green.

Settle more into my new gorgeous Mizuno 921 forged irons (just delicious clubs) and my Ping 425 drivers. Which have already seen improvements in accuracy, distance, and shaping the ball with imporved consistency.

Lastly to see by the end of this year to lower my handicap to maybe a 12.

No musts here, just steady enjoyment towards these goals and the challenges within them.

Edited by Tropposurfer

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm not a resolution kinda guy but the plans for this year are to get into using my new amazing sim room during wet season (and a few times a week during dry season), to practice at the driving range a few times a week, have a lesson each week, and play rounds (as part of the yearly calendar) with my coach and lower handicap players whenever I can.

To travel around LOS and play, maybe a golf trip/Euro trip if things are more open and easy for travel before Euro winter comes around again.

To continue my yoga practice (it really supports balance, groundedness, weight sensitivity [proprioception] and easy/safe flexibility during the swing) - I recommend it to all golfers especially as you get older!

Work on the dreaded mid-handicaper problem of hitting just behind the ball (about 30% of my shots) - which results in loss of directional control - loss in distance - and hotter shots - loss of spin on green approach shots.

Improve my short game chipping and half-club shots around the green.

Settle more into my new gorgeous Mizuno 921 forged irons (just delicious clubs) and my Ping 425 drivers. Which have already seen improvements in accuracy, distance, and shaping the ball with imporved consistency.

Lastly to see by the end of this year to lower my handicap to maybe a 12.

No musts here, just steady enjoyment towards these goals and the challenges within them.

You can do it.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Lacessit said:

Break my age.

Off the back tees ….lol …

I would not be surprised if you do it off the front tees …

Please keep producing the helpful videos that you post on YouTube …..

10 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Off the back tees ….lol …

I would not be surprised if you do it off the front tees …

Please keep producing the helpful videos that you post on YouTube …..

Sorry, those are the full monty. If I do break my age, I'll make a video which will explore each shot in the most excruciating and boring detail.

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

My favorite Ben Hogan story:

Hogan is playing in a pro-am with a big-wig corporate guy who is lacing the boot.

Hogan hits a five iron from 185 yards out. His ball lands 20 feet past the pin, then backs up to a foot from the hole.

Corporate guy: " Mr. Hogan, I would love to be able to get backspin on a ball like that".

Hogan: "How far do you hit a five iron?".

Corporate guy: " About 120 yards".

Hogan: " Why the f$$$ do you want backspin?".

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Hogan is playing in a pro-am with a big-wig corporate guy who is lacing the boot.

Hogan hits a five iron from 185 yards out. His ball lands 20 feet past the pin, then backs up to a foot from the hole.

Corporate guy: " Mr. Hogan, I would love to be able to get backspin on a ball like that".

hahahaha great story ... 

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thankfully I don't suffer from this characters lack of distance with irons or woods ... But seriously being able to create and increase decrease spin is a great tool. I have only beginner understanding of it at this stage but I'm getting better at it. 

19 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thankfully I don't suffer from this characters lack of distance with irons or woods ... But seriously being able to create and increase decrease spin is a great tool. I have only beginner understanding of it at this stage but I'm getting better at it. 

Creating backspin with irons is a matter of hitting down on the ball so it is squeezed between the clubface and the grass. The higher the swing speed, the easier that becomes.

At my age, I'm more interested in creating topspin.

• 2 weeks later...