Buying a car from absent foreigner, advice please!

carbuyer

As far as I can remember it is nigh impossible unless the owner has a current long term visa and if the owner is not in country this is not possible.

Expats should always have an emergency contingency plan for assets and bank funds.

Sale of assets and bank funds can be  difficult to repatriate after an emergency departure.

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

"they obviously no nowt."

But they sure know how to spell!

My experience is advice directly from the local DLT office. But I would suggest that LTO officers like TM officers sometimes use their own discretion in dispensing official policy.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

But they sure know how to spell!

My experience is advice directly from the local DLT office. But I would suggest that LTO officers like TM officers sometimes use their own discretion in dispensing official policy.

Well my advice is actually doing it mush.

Just a comment from personal experience. Kwasaki is correct ????

Just two additional comments. The papers should be signed by the one owning the car according to the blue book. That may not be the one you buy it from. Quite common. Secondly, never ever buy without getting the book. It could be held by a loan shark and you do really not want to inherit that problem. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also get the transfer documents from the vehicle inspection agencies if you don't want to go to the DLT. They are a lot more of those around. I transferred ownership of my truck to my nanny when I left in October. Signed the transfer papers, copy of passport, blue book, done.

If they are out of the country just scan the transfer papers and e-mail to them for signatures.

• Like 1