THAIPASS / OMICRON nightmare..what next?

Wondering if anyone can help me make sense of current situation re travel to Bangkok. 

I'm booked to arrive 28th, have all docs etc signed off per Thai pass stipulations etc. 

But it's now looking as though Thai pass won't be honoured post Jan' 10th. 

What I'd like to try and make sense of is:

If Thai pass is no longer valid or open for new applications, even if I wanted to amend my flight etc in order to come in on / before the 10th, would I even be able to? Am open to making changes to my booking but the whole thing seems like a bureaucratic wormhole that I can't make sense of. 

So, if I wanted to amend and arrive earlier to make it on the Thaipass how to do? 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

But what I would prefer is to arrive earlier, and be able to use the test and go application that I have, which is now closed for applications. So...I can't amend my details. Can I still make use of my current Thaipass, but arrive early? 

I feel for you.

I arrive Feb 4 and am gearing up for 10 days quarantine as I am vaccinated (according to the Thai embassy, if I was unvaccinated quarantine would only be 7 days?).

If they switch back to Test and Go do I get my money back? Can I switch back to Test and Go? 

What a pigs ear

According to this report, after the 10th existing Thaipass won't be valid? Or is this conjecture / not likely to be as stringent per the previous statement that existing QR codes will remain valid. 

2 minutes ago, LP80 said:

According to this report, after the 10th existing Thaipass won't be valid? Or is this conjecture / not likely to be as stringent per the previous statement that existing QR codes will remain valid. 

I could be wrong (often am), but there seems to be some confusion over Test and Go and Thai Pass.

I read it that Test and Go is suspended temporarily, but the Thai Pass is required regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

I could be wrong (often am), but there seems to be some confusion over Test and Go and Thai Pass.

I read it that Test and Go is suspended temporarily, but the Thai Pass is required regardless.

You read it correctly.  As regards your 7 or 10 day confusion is that the London embassy you have been looking at?  Seems they have their headings ar5e backwards as "not fully vaccinated" people also need vaccination certificates.????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You read it correctly.  As regards your 7 or 10 day confusion is that the London embassy you have been looking at?  Seems they have their headings ar5e backwards as "not fully vaccinated" people also need vaccination certificates.????

Yes...London Embassy

I am booked to arrive at BKK on 23 January. I have not applied for Thai Pass, Test and Go or Sandbox. 

Is it possible to get a transit flight at BKK to Phuket or must one arrive from an international location to Phuket in order to use the Phuket Sandbox scheme?

39 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Is it possible to get a transit flight at BKK to Phuket or must one arrive from an international location to Phuket in order to use the Phuket Sandbox scheme?

The latter. Your current booking has an arrival point.

To fly from BKK to Phuket would be a domestic add on leg. Not possible. 

9 hours ago, LP80 said:

My understanding is that if you stick with the bookings associated with your approved Test & Go Thailand Pass, then you can enter Thailand on the date that you originally planned on arriving despite it being January 28.

My understanding of the recent announcement is that they intend to continue the situation as is until the end of January. They planned on reviewing whether to allow the Test & Go to be available again around January 10. The news articles I've seen appear to point to preventing new Test & Go applications, at least until the end of January. However, all currently approved Test & Go applications - no matter when the arrival date is - are still acceptable for entry into Thailand.

In addition, as far as I am aware, there isn't any way to amend or modify an existing Thailand Pass application. Therefore, my advice to you is to keep your travel plans as they are and use your approved Thailand Pass QR code to enter Thailand on January 28th.

My understanding is that a Thailand Pass is valid on the date and time of the original booking + or - 72 hours. I was to arrive on January 14th. Rebooking my flight and Hotel to arrive before the 10th is pointless (the airline would not let me board and if it did I'd be in trouble in Bangkok).

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know it you applied for the the Test & Go and have QR code for it you can still enter and do it. The only difference is that will have to do a 2nd covid RT-PCR test on the 5th 6th day after your enter the country.

Info is here. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2

ubonjoe, thanks for the clarity.  Seems to be quite a bit of confusion based on newspaper articles, hearsay, and "officials" making a public statement.  

22 hours ago, LP80 said:

But what I would prefer is to arrive earlier, and be able to use the test and go application that I have, which is now closed for applications. So...I can't amend my details. Can I still make use of my current Thaipass, but arrive early? 

As long as you arrive before 10 Jan and have the Thaipass, it should be safe for just the Test & Go.

After that day, it would be 7 or 10 days quarantine.

If you test positive on arrival, then it would be quarantine at a hospital.

Edited by EricTh

FACT Nothing has been agreed to change or reinstate the Thai Pass. There aee rumours around the January 10th date but only rumours. A full decision will be published after the full CCSA meeting on Friday 7th.

FACT At this time all issued Thailand Passes are valid, yes even beyond 10th January, although that may change on Friday 7th. If you change your flight to arrive before the date on your Thai Pass you will either be denied boarding or entry. There is a 72 hour window to arrive after the date on your Thai Pass to allow for delays or cancellations, but not for before.

What potential visitors to Thailand and indeed those already here , need to consider is that what is being taken for granted is the status of airline flights . With no doubt many flight cancellations because of the T&G postponement , the question is , will the airlines continue to their planned schedules and be prepared to fly with few if any passengers ?  Potential for being "trapped in Thailand " all over again ?

On 1/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, LP80 said:

All conjecture until it is printed in the Royal Gazette.  Creating a nightmare and stress for those already scheduled to come to Thailand and approved to enter the country.  Trips paid for, hotels booked etc....  Many folks I know in the US who were returning to visit family are now quite puckered up around the anus.

• Like 1