DUI: More than double cases this New Year a result of more proactive measures

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The chief of Thailand's probation department reported that the number of DUI cases in the "seven deadly days" of New Year had more than doubled over 2020/21.

This year there were 5,200 cases referred to the courts compared to 2,399 last year.

S__2924777-1024x768.jpg

Picture: INN

Witthawan Sunthornkhajit put this increase down to more proactive measures by the authorities in checking for and prosecuting offenders, reported INN

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-05

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I would like to see what punishment these DUI drivers

received , whatever it was I am sure it was not a deterrent.

regards worgeordie

I suspect not the sort of "punishment" that will satisfy Aseannow contributors.

Compensation is at the name of the game in this part of the world.

Nobody hurt and nothing damaged?

Then who is there to be compensated?

The State is content as long those who are rich enough to pay taxes do so and the rest harm only themselves/each other.

All of them, of course, without attempting to challenge the fundamental "order".

Some sort of ritual and a symbolic fine will sort out the vast majority of these "referrals".

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Witthawan Sunthornkhajit put this increase down to more proactive measures by the authorities in checking for and prosecuting offenders,

Saying the measures worked because you doubled the convictions means you haven't solved a damned thing.

The day you don't find a single DUI is the day you celebrate.

• Like 2

There is no excuse for drunk driving, but what we observed during new years eve in Chiang Mai it was extremely difficult to arrange any type of public transport. We tried every ride hailing app available and it took us hours to get a driver. This is while there were 6 motorbikes waiting on my driveway to be ridden to town, but trying to be good boys we of course left them there overnight. 

Maybe the goverment could look at providing some alternative transport as well. Again, not an excuse, but I can totally picture every single drunk person in smaller towns going out in their own vehicles if there simply isn't any alternatives available. 

This is not the case in most developed cities - I've seen in Europe on NYE they've got public transport running all night to ensure people can get out/in without driving. 

• Like 1

I'm confused. Which is not hard for me.

it's good that there are more cases of DUI, or good that RTP caught more people DUI?

nothing will change unless and until Thai people treat drunk drivers as pariahs. Friends take away keys, make people stay overnight, etc... But this will not happen in my lifetime, I expect.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I would like to see what punishment these DUI drivers

received , whatever it was I am sure it was not a deterrent.

regards worgeordie

Under the new points system they were probably told if they did it three more times they'd be in trouble.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1