Using US credit card with Lazada-Kasikorn issue

thaisail

Are you sure it's on Lazada? I have relied on PayPal and also my home bank in America for my nearly fourteen years here, and since coming back two months ago have had to deal with both accounts being locked due to "fraud control" twice. I am no longer able to use PayPal for any online payments unless I use a VPN. The instances I have had were when purchasing via Lazada, but they weren't the ones locking my accounts down.

Edited by Lee4Life

17 hours ago, thaisail said:

All my income is in US dollars. I have no income in Thai baht. So if I send US dollars to Thailand there is usually an exchange rate commision and there are wire transfer fees. Schwab Bank charges $15 per transfer. I am guessing that all of these charges result in 2% loss by the time the money arrives in Thailand. The other 2% is a loss from the credit card itself which pays me 2% cash back on all of my purchases. It seems that only domestic US credit cards offer this feature but if anyone knows of other countries that offer this please let me know. So, 2% + 2% = 4%. That is what I am loosing in having to pay using a Thai bank. All of groceries, fuel, shopping are paid with my Capital One. Only Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Card offers 3% cash back for restaurants so I pull out that card when eating out!

I see... thanks for the info.

But again this or that way.. soon or later.. at the end of the day.. you name it but you need/must put some money in your thai bank account, i mean you cannot be living in thailand just using your credit card, right? Its not my place to give you any advice or suggestion or tell to what to do but why dont you transfer big amount every 1st day of the month? Think that will balance things?

Thnx

First, the exchange rate at 33.5 baht to the dollar is great. Use Wise for transfers, there’s only one fee, I pay about $15 for a $2000 transfer, and it comes within 24 hours.  Second, there is no way around the practical necessity of having a Thailand bank account. In fact, your imaginary nemesis Kasikorn, has a phone app where you can make international transfers back to the US for a flat 250 baht, they convert to dollars before it leaves the country, you get it the next day, and it comes in as a generic ACH deposit so your bank will charge no incoming fee. Also, from time to time these websites will change their security protocols such that glitches in the system will randomly reject certain cards. I have had my Bangkok Bank Mastercard rejected online yet the same business Big C  when  I pay on delivery their wireless card system accepts my Bangkok Bank card just fine.  But you are right about billing addresses being accurate. I had to update Amazon and Ebay to reflect the Thailand addresses for those cards, but they work fine now. Also, T-Mobile suddenly rejected my Bangkok Bank card, so I switched to the Kasikorn card and it worked. T - Mobile couldn’t explain it and their employees just made up a bunch of bull$hit so I just did a successful end run around them. Bottom line is sometimes these glitches can be nearly impossible to diagnose, so you have to have backup plans.

22 hours ago, schultzlivgthai said:

No foreign transaction fees with my capital one card. And I’m also experiencing the same problems as the OP. I liked using my capital one card, oh well.

I guess Kasikorn doen's like Capital One!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I see... thanks for the info.

But again this or that way.. soon or later.. at the end of the day.. you name it but you need/must put some money in your thai bank account, i mean you cannot be living in thailand just using your credit card, right? Its not my place to give you any advice or suggestion or tell to what to do but why dont you transfer big amount every 1st day of the month? Think that will balance things?

Thnx

I transfer 40K baht every month for the purpose of immigration to justify the marriage visa extension. The Thai baht is building up in my Thai bank account. I used to buy items almost every day with Lazada using my Capital One credit card which was super convenient for me and I was a good customer of Lazada. But now that they will no longer accept my Capital One card, I will look elsewhere to purchase. Remember that I get the best exchange rate out there with Capital One and I get 2% cash back and it used to be super easy using the Lazada website and I could buy with virtually one click! But now I have to go into the Bangkok Bank mobile app and type in a reference number, my phone number and spend 10 minutes clicking around the Bangkok Bank moble app to buy even a tiny screw driver! It would be great if the customers service people can explain exactly why they had a change the software just to <deleted> off their customers and make their life difficult. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

First, the exchange rate at 33.5 baht to the dollar is great. Use Wise for transfers, there’s only one fee, I pay about $15 for a $2000 transfer, and it comes within 24 hours.  Second, there is no way around the practical necessity of having a Thailand bank account. In fact, your imaginary nemesis Kasikorn, has a phone app where you can make international transfers back to the US for a flat 250 baht, they convert to dollars before it leaves the country, you get it the next day, and it comes in as a generic ACH deposit so your bank will charge no incoming fee. Also, from time to time these websites will change their security protocols such that glitches in the system will randomly reject certain cards. I have had my Bangkok Bank Mastercard rejected online yet the same business Big C  when  I pay on delivery their wireless card system accepts my Bangkok Bank card just fine.  But you are right about billing addresses being accurate. I had to update Amazon and Ebay to reflect the Thailand addresses for those cards, but they work fine now. Also, T-Mobile suddenly rejected my Bangkok Bank card, so I switched to the Kasikorn card and it worked. T - Mobile couldn’t explain it and their employees just made up a bunch of bull$hit so I just did a successful end run around them. Bottom line is sometimes these glitches can be nearly impossible to diagnose, so you have to have backup plans.

I like the Kasikorn app and use it all the time, but in my case if I have money to send to the US, I would never take it out of a Thai Bank. I get 100% of my retirement money in USD and it is deposited into my Schwab bank account in the US. If I need to pay something in the to US I pay with my Capital One account or my Schwab account. However the Kasikorn mobile app is great and I use it all the time in Thailand. It is really great and the Thai banking system is really great to allow me to pay almost anything with my mobile app. As for T-Mobile, I finally gave up on them a few years ago and I switched everything to Google Voice. I have my own US phone number now that anyone can use to call me from the States. I also use it to get all those "verified by visa" authenticatation codes. I can call any US cellphone and fixed phone in the US and any house or office phone in Europe. All for free! I just told T-mobile to put their SIM card where the sun don't shine!

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me with Home Pro, Villa, Power Buy.  The problem is with K Bank going to a new verification system called "3D Secure".  It's not using the  "Verified by Visa" system any more.  This new system requires an OTP to verify.  Following is a snippet from Villa...

Dear valued customer.

We've found your payment was rejected unable to authenticate card holder
3D-Secure is not enrolled.
Have you received an OTP (One time password to payment) from your issuing card while you tried to make payment? Due to this merchant can accept only the payment with OTP verified,
If you haven't received an OTP, you cannot make payment by this card.
Please try another card that can receive an OTP.

Natnicha

Regards,

2C2P Customer Support Team
TH: 02 026 3000

It looks like the main problem is that 3D secure is unable to SMS a foreign number.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, Jaybott said:

The same thing happened to me with Home Pro, Villa, Power Buy.  The problem is with K Bank going to a new verification system called "3D Secure".  It's not using the  "Verified by Visa" system any more.  This new system requires an OTP to verify.  Following is a snippet from Villa...

Dear valued customer.

We've found your payment was rejected unable to authenticate card holder
3D-Secure is not enrolled.
Have you received an OTP (One time password to payment) from your issuing card while you tried to make payment? Due to this merchant can accept only the payment with OTP verified,
If you haven't received an OTP, you cannot make payment by this card.
Please try another card that can receive an OTP.

Natnicha

Regards,

2C2P Customer Support Team
TH: 02 026 3000

It looks like the main problem is that 3D secure is unable to SMS a foreign number.

Thank you for your valuable information! I had some good luck two days ago and was able to purchase two items on Lazada for less than 500 baht using my US Cap1 credit card. I was also able to create a payment method using my Cap1 credit card. But on the third purchase for 2200 baht, I got blocked again by Kasikorn yesterday. Today, I decided that I did not want my dog to go hungry so I had the 2200 purchase of dog food shipped by COD and I will let my wife pay for it in cash. 

But today, I tried to buy a second bag of dogfood using my Cap1 card and this time, I was sent an OTP to my Thai phone number. I typed in the OTP on the Lazada website but got blocked again by Kasikorn. This time the Kasikorn screen changed several time but in the end, the purchase failed. I called Lazada and tried again while talking ot Lazada on the phone but this time no OTP. But at least they are working on the issue.

• Sad 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, Jaybott said:

"3D Secure"

For both Visa and Mastercard, it says

Contact your Visa card issuer directly for more information

Not every issuer supports 3D Secure. See some on reddit say that Captial One does not support it, while other say it does.

I can't figure out if any of my credit card issuers support this. Not sure if the verification would originate via that issuers app, or via SMS?

Do I need a new Visa card to use this service?
No. Your current Visa card will work, as long as the financial institution that issues your card is part of this Visa Secure program. Please visit your issuer’s website for more information.

How will I know if my online purchase has this added layer of protection?
This service automatically works at checkout with participating merchants. Remember, there is no need to download anything, install software or register your account to get this added layer of protection. When using this service, you may occasionally be prompted at checkout to verify your identity, but this is to ensure you’re you and protect you from fraud.

• Like 1

Same problem.  All started in early January.  Lazada is no help, just going in circles.  K-Bank is probably the issue.  Management issue for resolution.  Customer Service cannot resolve.

My guess - there will be resolution, but not quickly...

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 8:38 PM, kevc said:

Lazada are now asking for ATM card number and pin number to top up Lazada wallet.

Yikes!!!

On the plus side, they're not asking for your mother's maiden name, the name of your first pet or the street name where you grew up.

The only problem I’ve ever had using my Capital One CC on Lazada is on Capital One’s side, i.e., the stupid security challenges that require a response to a SMS sent to a U.S. mobile number.

Lately, I’ve been using my IGH Traveler’s CC (issued by Chase Bank) as Chase doesn’t play that idiotic security challenge game (bank will even accept international phone numbers as contact numbers.)

Just adding my experience.  My Capital One card expired last month and I received a new one. Exact same information other than a new date and 3 digit code. I can't add it to Lazada or Grab even though the old one worked. I've spent way too much time talking with both companies and the bank and haven't figured anything out. Capital One didn't seem to know what 3D Secure was. I get OTP's sent to a Google number and haven't had issues in years. Today, I can't use my Schwab Visa debit card at ATM's. Schwab can't find any issues on their end. Hopefully that's not an ongoing issue. *sigh* 

Edited by ubonrthai

17 hours ago, ubonrthai said:

Just adding my experience.  My Capital One card expired last month and I received a new one. Exact same information other than a new date and 3 digit code. I can't add it to Lazada or Grab even though the old one worked. I've spent way too much time talking with both companies and the bank and haven't figured anything out. Capital One didn't seem to know what 3D Secure was. I get OTP's sent to a Google number and haven't had issues in years. Today, I can't use my Schwab Visa debit card at ATM's. Schwab can't find any issues on their end. Hopefully that's not an ongoing issue. *sigh* 

Know what I find laughable?  This: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-approves-plans-to-attract-long-stay-foreigners-to-thailand/

They want to attract long stay foreigners but not thier credit cards.  Only Thailand.

17 hours ago, ubonrthai said:

The following email was just received from Lazada. It appears that the Thai banks want all money entering Thailand to pass through them so that they can get their commision. They can't stand the thought of someone using their home country credit card to purchase items in Thailand without paying them their commision. It is time for those of us with this issue to file a class action lawsuit against Kasikorn who seem to be the main culprit.

Following text quoted from an email just received from Lazada. It seems that Kasikorn has an exclusive contract to handle the credit card transactions for Lazada. I wonder if the parent company Ali Express is aware of this huge loss of revenue now being caused by Kasikorn.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Regarding your feedback for payment issue, please be inform that we have been passed on what you have told us to our technical team for the further assistance. 

As per checking , the relevant team had been found that the unsuccessful transaction in your payment was caused by your card which is not support 3D payment. Following this case, may we suggest you to contact to the bank or card issuer for the further asistance.

However, you can try to use a different card for your payment as well."  

I think Kasikorn would like us to buy their debit card so that they can get our business. But Thailand is a tourist destination so this will be very bad if tourists are unable to purchase anything on line using their home country VISA cards. I can't even buy movie tickets using the mobile app!

I hope they don't go after my Schwab debit card for ATMs as well. That will be a sign that they don't want us expats anymore in Thailand!

4 hours ago, thaisail said:

The following email was just received from Lazada. It appears that the Thai banks want all money entering Thailand to pass through them so that they can get their commision. They can't stand the thought of someone using their home country credit card to purchase items in Thailand without paying them their commision. It is time for those of us with this issue to file a class action lawsuit against Kasikorn who seem to be the main culprit.

Following text quoted from an email just received from Lazada. It seems that Kasikorn has an exclusive contract to handle the credit card transactions for Lazada. I wonder if the parent company Ali Express is aware of this huge loss of revenue now being caused by Kasikorn.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Regarding your feedback for payment issue, please be inform that we have been passed on what you have told us to our technical team for the further assistance. 

As per checking , the relevant team had been found that the unsuccessful transaction in your payment was caused by your card which is not support 3D payment. Following this case, may we suggest you to contact to the bank or card issuer for the further asistance.

However, you can try to use a different card for your payment as well."  

I think Kasikorn would like us to buy their debit card so that they can get our business. But Thailand is a tourist destination so this will be very bad if tourists are unable to purchase anything on line using their home country VISA cards. I can't even buy movie tickets using the mobile app!

I hope they don't go after my Schwab debit card for ATMs as well. That will be a sign that they don't want us expats anymore in Thailand!

If this is Lazada's position, it will doing nothing but cut into their revenue.  They will not make it up. This is a Top Management decision.  The Media needs to get this information.  It does not support Visitors legitimately spending money in Thailand.  It is not a few disgruntled foreigners.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, D M G said:

If this is Lazada's position, it will doing nothing but cut into their revenue.  They will not make it up. This is a Top Management decision.  The Media needs to get this information.  It does not support Visitors legitimately spending money in Thailand.  It is not a few disgruntled foreigners.

I contacted Navy Federal Credit Union and changed my billing address to match my delivery address in Thailand. The NFCU fraud department was familiar with the 3D Secure issue and offered to assist. I was also offered a new VISA credit card that gives 1.75% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee or any other conditions. This beat the 2% cash back from Cap1 with the $59 annual fee. I called Lazada and bought a 2100 baht memory card for my phone and the Kasikorn payment window popped up with "Verified by Visa" but no OTP was generated. The sale went through and everything is working perfect now! I will order the new cards which NFCU will send in the normal mail to Thailand for free. One card for my wife and one for me. One big advantage is that when you call in to NFCU for help on the phone you get fast service from someone in the US not Manila or Nicaragua. I am dumping my Cap1 card and switching over to NFCU! I will make some more purchases on Lazada and try to pay my AIS monthly fee and see if the online issue is now resolved for the 3D Secure. I will keep everyone updated. If anyone else out there finds a solution like I did please post. It may actually be that the problem was from Cap1 all the time and not from Kbank and Lazada!

I did not realize their was another site with the same Lazada-Thailand problem. Here is my last comment from my site. After exhausting efforts through Lazada and my Chase (Visa) bank, I have decided to write the seller when I get into the "Payment Pending Box." The message will be short and credit card specific: Please contact "LAZADA" and them verify my Visa credit card through "CHASE BANKING FOR PAYMENT"-Thank You.

3DS or 3D Secure is a pain for card users and merchants alike. Some bank card issuers will insist on 3DS checks others will not. Some merchants (especially those hit bit fraud and chargebacks) will also implement it. With new card industry rules set mostly in the banks' interests there will be further pressure to use 3DS for every online transaction. As a merchant I can choose whether to turn on or off several card checks such as CVV/CVN, Address verification and 3DS. I have been told that in the future if 3DS is not used then transactions will probably fail. In the UK, the current date for mandatory 3DS is 14th March 2022 after being extended many times. This is a nightmare for merchants as it loses revenue. The banks blame the merchants and the merchants blame the banks for failed transactions on valid cards. Either way it doesn't help the customer. As a merchant, the only way I can avoid chargeback claims based on fraud is if 3DS is used. I would expect that Lazada is doing the same to avoid losses.

Edited by soi3eddie

On 1/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, thaisail said:

I contacted Navy Federal Credit Union and changed my billing address to match my delivery address in Thailand. The NFCU fraud department was familiar with the 3D Secure issue and offered to assist. I was also offered a new VISA credit card that gives 1.75% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee or any other conditions. This beat the 2% cash back from Cap1 with the $59 annual fee. I called Lazada and bought a 2100 baht memory card for my phone and the Kasikorn payment window popped up with "Verified by Visa" but no OTP was generated. The sale went through and everything is working perfect now! I will order the new cards which NFCU will send in the normal mail to Thailand for free. One card for my wife and one for me. One big advantage is that when you call in to NFCU for help on the phone you get fast service from someone in the US not Manila or Nicaragua. I am dumping my Cap1 card and switching over to NFCU! I will make some more purchases on Lazada and try to pay my AIS monthly fee and see if the online issue is now resolved for the 3D Secure. I will keep everyone updated. If anyone else out there finds a solution like I did please post. It may actually be that the problem was from Cap1 all the time and not from Kbank and Lazada!

Just now, D M G said:

I have an update (?) from Lazada.  They will "fix" the 3D issue so other credit cards will be accepted, but since it is an "external" issue, they need time.  

- No time frame given.

• Haha 1

I finally got to an "Agent" at Lazada "Help." I had to do a screen shot (prt-scr on my PC) of a Chase Visa Transaction and posted. Agent ask me for my last four on my Visa Credit card plus my passport info that I screen shot off a photo with my email to verify my account. Lazada will email me with the results. "GOOD LUCK!"

11 hours ago, Dan747 said:

I finally got to an "Agent" at Lazada "Help." I had to do a screen shot (prt-scr on my PC) of a Chase Visa Transaction and posted. Agent ask me for my last four on my Visa Credit card plus my passport info that I screen shot off a photo with my email to verify my account. Lazada will email me with the results. "GOOD LUCK!"

Must be hundreds of us...

4 hours ago, D M G said:

Must be hundreds of us...

I just ordered 2 new credit cards from Navy Federal Credit Union that give 1.75% cash back and just got approved. I can also keep my old card that gives 3%cash back on restaurants!  The Navy Federal Credit Union has updated my mailing address to Thailand so my delivery and billing address are now the same. I can now buy on line with Lazada and I will dump my Capital One credit cards. I thought the trouble was coming from Kasikorn and Lazada but now I am sure the problem is with Capital One! Must be the same issue with Chase.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, thaisail said:

I just ordered 2 new credit cards from Navy Federal Credit Union that give 1.75% cash back and just got approved. I can also keep my old card that gives 3%cash back on restaurants!  The Navy Federal Credit Union has updated my mailing address to Thailand so my delivery and billing address are now the same. I can now buy on line with Lazada and I will dump my Capital One credit cards. I thought the trouble was coming from Kasikorn and Lazada but now I am sure the problem is with Capital One! Must be the same issue with Chase.

Not sure what the issue is, but I sent all info on Asean Now website (CC) stating all problems with Lazada to "LAZADA" online Chat with a Thai mailed letter directly to Mr. Dong the CEO of Lazada Thailand/Vietnam. Not sure if any of this will work, but at least I have gotten Lazada's interest. Last Chat was Lazada was sending all my info to their Finance.