Using US credit card with Lazada-Kasikorn issue

thaisail

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

"What's in your wallet?"

Sucks when things one gets used to, change.

I'd talk to Lazada first, then Kasikorn, then visa.

I think Schwab offers fee-free SWIFT international transfers. But maybe that's account tier related? 

Do you have a Schwab Visa ATM Debit card? If so you may be able to do a teller cash advance, which is completely fee-free and gives the great daily visa rate. Best method available. Daily limit is $15,000 (in THB equivalent).

You are preaching to the choire with me about Schwab. I have a Schwab One account with checking and brokerage. I am curious to see if you have found a way to get Schwab to work with "WISE"? I find Schwab to be absolutely the best bank to use for expats in Thailand. I find it very hard to find a dummie that answers the phone at Schwab. They also provide me a phone number I can call with my Thai cellphone that is free of charge. 

I do have a Schwab Visa Debit card and I can get cash easy with all fees reimbursed for the Thai ATMs at the end of each month. The exchange rate has always been the best I have ever found in Thailand. But you have to be a US citizen with a US social security number to get that account. 

The issue is convenience. I was in France on Vaxation for 7 months and just got back. I tried to buy things through Lazada while I was in France. My wife would call me on What's app and say she needed dog food or some other item and I would log in to Lazada App on my phone and order with my Capitol One credit card. Everything was perfect until this credit card mess started. I was unable to change the deliver phone number to my wife's phone because Lazada kept sending verification codes to my Thai SIM card which was suspended before I left. So I was not able to authenticate until I got back to Thailand and installed my Thai SIM card. Things like this make it very frustrating because the delivery guys could not call anyone to arrage delivery times since I could not change my phone number on the Lazada website. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Really?  That stopped for me years ago - only able to do on Shopee.  Then changed to using US Credit Card for Lazada (which has my Thai address) and no problems using that method (last used today) so have not checked if they allow IBanking again.  Will add not given any options as when hit buy on Lazada credit card seems to be automatic now.

How do you get an American credit card to use a Thai billing address?

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, if you're home to accept the item fine. 

I have a life, always out and about. 

BTW, I mentioned credit card, payment, I always pay using my credit card, this is so important. Lots of Dodgy sellers on lazada, advertising items that are fake or sending you a different item to that what you ordered.

You have protection when paying through your credit card. 

Back in the day lazada offered an email support for complaints, now they have that BOT, stupid and bloody frustrating. 

Now if I have an issue, straight to my bank, fill out the forms and money is returned. 

Creditcard payment everytime for me 

We have a life too, a good one in fact.  No need to stay home all day, sister lives right next door, easy peasy.  We return the favour at times...its called being neighbourly.

I always scrutinise the reviews when buying, cant get caught that way.  Never had a dodgey vendor or product.  However have had some damage done when delivering.  This is usually sorted out direct with the vendor via chat.  Vendors are always obliging as they dont want bad reviews.  Only ever had one hiccup with a vendor from China.  All sorted out by one phone call to Lazada helpline.  You are right the Lazada chat support sucks.

So as I say my only gripe was with failed delivery but COD sorted that out every time.

11 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:
 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I buy stuff on Lazada via bank transfer from my Bangkok Bank account. No need to use a Thai credit or debit card! 

Good luck if an issue comes up, you can communicate with a lazada BOT. 

Use your credit card, if things go pear shaped go to your bank, fill out the forms and get a full refund. 

Using your credit card, you are protected. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaisail said:

if you have found a way to get Schwab to work with "WISE"?

you answered your own question

3 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I find it very hard to find a dummie that answers the phone at Schwab. They also provide me a phone number I can call with my Thai cellphone that is free of charge. 

Ask Schwab.

I trialled WISE once, from my BoA account. Was relatively simple, but had to enable/utilize PLAID.

https://plaid.com/products/auth/overview/

I am not a Schwab customer.

4 minutes ago, thaisail said:

do have a Schwab Visa Debit card and I can get cash easy with all fees reimbursed for the Thai ATMs

Nope. while this is obviously factual, I was referring to a CASH ADVANCE (a Teller Advance), and NOT an ATM withdrawal.

37 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, if you're home to accept the item fine. 

I have a life, always out and about. 

BTW, I mentioned credit card, payment, I always pay using my credit card, this is so important. Lots of Dodgy sellers on lazada, advertising items that are fake or sending you a different item to that what you ordered.

Back in the day lazada offered an email support for complaints, now they have that BOT, stupid and bloody frustrating. 

Now if I have an issue, straight to my bank, fill out the forms and money is returned. 

Creditcard payment everytime for me 

You got it right! I found a great price for a Samsung memory card for my phone. As soon as I got it, I checkit out on line and found out it was a fake. I returned the fake card and got a full refund from Lazada. Had to pay 3 times the price to get the authentic memory card from the JIB store on Lazada and everything worked out in the end. But all the time Capitol One was standing by waiting if things turned sour. 

• Like 2

Just now, thaisail said:

How do you get an American credit card to use a Thai billing address?

I had Chase card when in USA and after retired and moved here (29 years ago) had mail issues using checks for payment so changed to direct debit from another bank account and they advised to change address to my Thailand home.  Has worked fine ever since.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Actually I'm from Perth.  We get on with our neighbours.  I bet youre from Sydney?

Yep, 

Born Sydney Royal Children's Hospital 

You're from Perth, did you get your annoying features from your Premier Mark Mc? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, thaisail said:

My experience with Kasikorn has not been great. I think this issue is far above the heads of the people responding on their customer help line. Besides, I have no proof that Kasikorn is behind this issue. It could be just Lazada trying to avoid loosing the credit card margin. 

I tried to set up transferwise with Schwab bank about a year ago. The name has now changed from Transferwise to just "WISE". I am looking into that option. However, the immigration needs to see transfers from a foreign bank to a Thai bank. With "Wise" the transfer is recorded as a domestic transfer instead of a foreign bank transfer. I will try to talk to immigration to see if they will accept "Wise" transfers. But I think we all know how that will go!

You can choose a reason for the transfer at wise. If you choose "funds for long term stay in Thailand" option it will not be displayed as domestic transfer and will be accepted from immigration. 

I make over 100 purchases on Lazada per month. My default payment method is my US credit card from Chase. Occasionally the card gets declined and then I use bank transfer. 1-2-3 Service using Bangkok Bank mobile app.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LarsBKK said:

You can choose a reason for the transfer at wise. If you choose "funds for long term stay in Thailand" option it will not be displayed as domestic transfer and will be accepted from immigration. 

Actually that should work for Bangkok Bank but there were recent issues so better to make sure the Bangkok Bank account is tagged by WISE to receive funds directly from their Bangkok Bank account in addition to selecting that reason.

46 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, 

Born Sydney Royal Children's Hospital 

You're from Perth, did you get your annoying features from your Premier Mark Mc? 

Now how did I know that??

Mark McGowan?  The less said the better thank you.

Annoying?  Like I said youve had a bad day so....no comment.

Look mate, all I am doing is trying to help you but you are so wound up you cant hear me.  You been pouring your heart out for pages about all the problems you been having trying to buy a dog collar from lazada with a credit card and I have the proven solution in 3 very easy steps:

1.   Scrutinise the reviews to avoid dodgy fakes or dealers

2.  Order everything COD 

2.  and get on with your neighbours.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LarsBKK said:

Why would immigration be involved?  Proof of income for visa purposes?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Now how did I know that??

Mark McGowan?  The less said the better thank you.

Annoying?  Like I said youve had a bad day so....no comment.

Look mate, all I am doing is trying to help you but you are so wound up you cant hear me.  You been pouring your heart out for pages about all the problems you been having trying to buy a dog collar from lazada with a credit card and I have the proven solution in 3 very easy steps:

1.   Scrutinise the reviews to avoid dodgy fakes or dealers

2.  Order everything COD 

2.  and get on with your neighbours.

Noted with thanks 

????????????????????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Why would immigration be involved?  Proof of income for visa purposes?

OP wrote that he won't choose wise.com because that results in domestic transfers which won't be accepted by immigration. I merely pointed to the funds for long term stay option of wise.com

Edited by LarsBKK
typo
  • Like 1

I use Lazada and as many state here use "bank transfer" to pay. The problem using payment cards, be they credit or debit cards issued by Visa or Mastercard is that they can be subject to "chargebacks" using the dispute process. I am a merchant accepting cards and disputes are almost impossible to reverse as a merchant. UNLESS they are authenticated by 2FA/3DS such as WISE using transaction approval via the app or via SMS code in which case merchant cannot be held liable. Even Thai issued cards may fail to be authorised. I bet this is the reason for the OP's blocked transactions on Lazada. Quite simply Lazada don't want to risk losses. IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good luck if an issue comes up, you can communicate with a lazada BOT. 

Use your credit card, if things go pear shaped go to your bank, fill out the forms and get a full refund. 

More than 250 transactions, and only two failed deliveries in which cases both vendors issued refunds almost immediately. Lazada is pretty good about keeping their vendors on the up and up. Just look at the stats on their sales pages, "Response time", "Ship on time", etc.

I must say, my Thai wife only does the COD route, but she has been burned in some scams. I had been a couple of times in the US, which may have "vaccinated" me.????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is the reason for my thinking on my post above. Quite simply, Lazada does not want the responsibility of losses for dodgy sellers on it's platform. I bet this is the reason for failed authorisation on credit/debit cards. Try getting a refund on a pre paid bank transfer. Good luck with that!

• Confused 1

Lazada has no problem processing payments made with my Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa card. This card has no foreign transaction fees, and earns points good for statement credits against anything travel-related. "Verified by Visa" isn't used on this card (although I've had it pop up on another bank's card in the past) and the exchange rate is very close to the rate that Wise offers for transfers.

Every once in a while the card is declined by BofA when paying Lazada (usually when buying something for a large amount), but the bank immediately sends me an SMS asking if the charge is legitimate. Replying "yes" instantly clears the card for use, and I just re-process the payment at Lazada within seconds.

I might add that this BofA Visa card has only my US address on file, and most of the time I'm in the US ordering products to be delivered to my daughter in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarsBKK said:

OP wrote that he won't choose wise.com because that results in domestic transfers which won't be accepted by immigration. I merely pointed to the funds for long term stay option of wise.com

Actually, checking the box " funds for long term stay" on Wise might not guaranty it will  arrive at your bank and be marked as an international transfer. At least it didn't for me.

I've been using Wise for three years and until this year, never had any issues with international transfers identified on my bank statement

But, as I was preparing to renew my marriage extension this past Nov, only 3 of my twelve monthly deposits on my BB statement from Dec 2020 to Nov 2021 were marked as international transfers. The other 9 were marked domestic transfers.

This happened because "Wise" uses Dee Money, KTB and KKB, as intermediary banking partners, who then transferred the funds to my BB account. I found this out after downloading my pdf statements from Wise. 

After expressing my displeasure with a Wise cs agent, she edited my account and assured me that all future transaction would only be sent directly to my BB account. 

So far, my Dec and todays transfer have been direct deposits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Aren't you all incurring foreign transaction charges?  Personally, I only use my credit card for US based companies.

No foreign transaction fees with my capital one card. And I’m also experiencing the same problems as the OP. I liked using my capital one card, oh well.

7 hours ago, Kwaibill said:
11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Expand  

More than 250 transactions, and only two failed deliveries in which cases both vendors issued refunds almost immediately. Lazada is pretty good about keeping their vendors on the up and up. Just look at the stats on their sales pages, "Response time", "Ship on time", etc.

I must say, my Thai wife only does the COD route, but she has been burned in some scams. I had been a couple of times in the US, which may have "vaccinated" me.????

This is the point I'm making.

Yes, lazada does a good job but it's the vendors that are Dodgy.

Here's an example, I posted this comment recently in another lazada article.

I bought 2 identical condos a couple of years back, so I needed some electrical items, I ordered 2 identical refrigerators from a lazada vendor, they delivered the fridge I ordered and another which was from a different manufacturer (Haier), wrong size etc.

Many emails back and forth to lazada and the vendor things were going nowhere so I complained to my bank (Kasikorn) the staff at the service desk helped with filling out the forms and several weeks later my money was returned.

BTW, They never came back for the Haier fridge, I still have it, out the back of the house full of beer. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, chocolatesound1 said:

Just signed up with Lazada last week and had the same problem with my US Chase card. I called and emailed them and just went ahead and uploaded the info they requested, Passport, pic of me with credit card and a statement...I received a confirmation email and now it seems to work fine. I'll do a few more purchases this week and make sure everything's ok. I tried this with Shopee but they said that they're not excepting any international cards as of now... except for a select few.

That is great news! I will try again to make some purchases. I have uploaded my Cap one statement three times and I know they are working on it. Please PM to me and we can stay in contact.