Using US credit card with Lazada-Kasikorn issue

thaisail

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

im sorry i dont understand what you mean. I might be wrong but, if you have thai DEBIT card which is not credit card which means you have to have money in the debit card account. it is thai debit card so you must have thai baht in it. if it is dollar account then you must have dollar in it. So how they can charge you 4%? what bank charges, what exchange rate? Youi can pay in baht with lazada... 

The OP's income and funds are all in the US. He previously paid Lazada in Thailand using a US credit card that gave him a 2% cash rebate on purchases, plus converted the baht purchase to USD using the Visa exchange rate, which is virtually always more favorable than the rates given by Thai banks or by Wise (the actual Wise rate net of fees, not the headline rate).

To pay via a Thai debit card instead, he needs to transfer USD to Thailand somehow, pay the couple of hundred baht for the local debit card, and then forego the cash rebate from each purchase. Saying that he'll lose 4% is probably an exaggeration, but he'll certainly lose money compared to his prior way of paying.

Since he apparently has no baht income stream in Thailand, all local purchases that he makes here will somehow have to involve a conversion between USD and THB, which will always involve a cost. There's just no way around that.

• Like 1

Check if they accept MasterCard.

MasterCard have been outbidding Visa everywhere as a result of which I have had my visa cards changed to MasterCard. Difficult as I then have to get my brother to post them from the UK and I have to freeze them until they arrive. Wise is by far the cheapest way to transfer funds and will allow you to open a bank account with them for payments in the source country or abroad.

Edited by chilly07

I am sad to hear about your problems. I use a MC from Capital One and recently purchased a small item from Lazada without any issue.  Just now looking at my account it showed my shipping and billing account at the same Thai address, but I'm sure when I purchased the items that I had to show my US billing address or Capital One would not have approved it.

I'm sad to read about your problems and, yes, it probably is Kasikorn.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

In my recent hiccup with electronic payment and Lazada, long story very short, LAZADA had a software issue, it was entirely down to their processing as confirmed by Kasikorn Bank. Tried two days later, no issue !

I seriously doubt ANY conspiracy etc, simply a tech issue and nothing more.

• Like 1

Just signed up with Lazada last week and had the same problem with my US Chase card. I called and emailed them and just went ahead and uploaded the info they requested, Passport, pic of me with credit card and a statement...I received a confirmation email and now it seems to work fine. I'll do a few more purchases this week and make sure everything's ok. I tried this with Shopee but they said that they're not excepting any international cards as of now... except for a select few.

2 hours ago, thaisail said:

My experience with Kasikorn has not been great. I think this issue is far above the heads of the people responding on their customer help line. Besides, I have no proof that Kasikorn is behind this issue. It could be just Lazada trying to avoid loosing the credit card margin. 

I tried to set up transferwise with Schwab bank about a year ago. The name has now changed from Transferwise to just "WISE". I am looking into that option. However, the immigration needs to see transfers from a foreign bank to a Thai bank. With "Wise" the transfer is recorded as a domestic transfer instead of a foreign bank transfer. I will try to talk to immigration to see if they will accept "Wise" transfers. But I think we all know how that will go!

When it asks for "purpose of transfer" select "living expenses"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Really?  That stopped for me years ago - only able to do on Shopee.  Then changed to using US Credit Card for Lazada (which has my Thai address) and no problems using that method (last used today) so have not checked if they allow IBanking again.  Will add not given any options as when hit buy on Lazada credit card seems to be automatic now.

I also use the Bangkok Bank transfer method. I now have Lazada Wallet as well, but Bangkok Bank transfer by mobile app was my go to method on Lazada.

K-Bank online credit card for internet purchases is good once setup, but as I have stated in earlier posts, not working recently.

It's handy that I now have several payment options set up.

Edited by phetphet

Bummer. 

Credit card is the best option for lazada purchases. 

Guaranteed delivery, they drop your item off whether you are home or not. 

If you buy an item and you have issues with the seller/ the product is not what you ordered etc. you are guaranteed a refund. 

I've been into my Kasikorn branch a few times now, filled out the paperwork and a few weeks later full refund. 

2 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Aren't you all incurring foreign transaction charges?  Personally, I only use my credit card for US based companies.

Many cards charge a foreign transaction fee...and some don't. Capital One cards do not. None of them to my knowledge. I like the Quicksilver Mastercard as it not only doesn't charge the foreign transaction fee, but also has an excellent exchange rate and pays 1.5% cash back on all purchases. Has a 30 day grace period too, so as long as the balance is paid in full by the due date each following month...no interest charges. No annual fee either. It's a superb card for those who are eligible. Have used it all over the globe and for nearly every purchase. Accepted almost everywhere here, including 7-11, theaters, petrol stations, hotels, Agoda, Lazada and on and on. They pay me to use their card and I oblige! ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

The OP's income and funds are all in the US. He previously paid Lazada in Thailand using a US credit card that gave him a 2% cash rebate on purchases, plus converted the baht purchase to USD using the Visa exchange rate, which is virtually always more favorable than the rates given by Thai banks or by Wise (the actual Wise rate net of fees, not the headline rate).

To pay via a Thai debit card instead, he needs to transfer USD to Thailand somehow, pay the couple of hundred baht for the local debit card, and then forego the cash rebate from each purchase. Saying that he'll lose 4% is probably an exaggeration, but he'll certainly lose money compared to his prior way of paying.

Since he apparently has no baht income stream in Thailand, all local purchases that he makes here will somehow have to involve a conversion between USD and THB, which will always involve a cost. There's just no way around that.

Ok.. thanks

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

"What's in your wallet?"

Sucks when things one gets used to, change.

I'd talk to Lazada first, then Kasikorn, then visa.

I think Schwab offers fee-free SWIFT international transfers. But maybe that's account tier related? 

Do you have a Schwab Visa ATM Debit card? If so you may be able to do a teller cash advance, which is completely fee-free and gives the great daily visa rate. Best method available. Daily limit is $15,000 (in THB equivalent).

Which bank do you do that at? Anytime I have tried getting a teller cash advance, I am told no can do with a debit card, only a credit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Bummer. 

Credit card is the best option for lazada purchases. 

Guaranteed delivery, they drop your item off whether you are home or not. 

If you buy an item and you have issues with the seller/ the product is not what you ordered etc. you are guaranteed a refund. 

I've been into my Kasikorn branch a few times now, filled out the paperwork and a few weeks later full refund. 

I have found the exact opposite.  If the parcel is paid for they drop it where they like, happened to me a few times where its been dropped off at local shop or servo.  Since I changed to COD no problems as the driver must pick up the cash.

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have found the exact opposite.  If the parcel is paid for they drop it where they like, happened to me a few times where its been dropped off at local shop or servo.  Since I changed to COD no problems.

That doesn't surprise me. I have a condo security desk to receive parcels so no problem with that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have found the exact opposite.  If the parcel is paid for they drop it where they like, happened to me a few times where its been dropped off at local shop or servo.  Since I changed to COD no problems as the driver must pick up the cash.

I have a house. 

The delivery driver calls me, if I'm not home they places my parcel in my front yard, every time. 

4 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I bought a bunch of stuff from Lazada in Thailand.

Always choose the pay upon receipt in cash option.

Don't they offer that option anymore?

Yep, they still offer COD. 

If you're home all day it's a good option, not for me. 

My family and I enjoy the outdoors, always traveling. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I have a house. 

The delivery driver calls me, if I'm not home they places my parcel in my front yard, every time. 

I have a house too.

Sometimes the driver doesnt ring, maybe runs out of time, I dont know, and then drops it elsewhere where we catch up with it days later.  However COD solved all those problems, every time.

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, they still offer COD. 

If you're home all day it's a good option, not for me. 

My family and I enjoy the outdoors, always traveling. 

Easy enough to organise a neighbour to receive it too.  Supposed to show authorisation and ID copy but it never happens in reality.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

hi,

im also a good customer of lazada. I think its great and bought lot of things and never had any problems. Although i cannot understand paying with credit cards when you ordered something online. What ever i have ordered online i want to pay when i see it first. And i never order electronics or likewise things online. Need to see and test first. 

im sorry i dont understand what you mean. I might be wrong but, if you have thai DEBIT card which is not credit card which means you have to have money in the debit card account. it is thai debit card so you must have thai baht in it. if it is dollar account then you must have dollar in it. So how they can charge you 4%? what bank charges, what exchange rate? Youi can pay in baht with lazada... 

All my income is in US dollars. I have no income in Thai baht. So if I send US dollars to Thailand there is usually an exchange rate commision and there are wire transfer fees. Schwab Bank charges $15 per transfer. I am guessing that all of these charges result in 2% loss by the time the money arrives in Thailand. The other 2% is a loss from the credit card itself which pays me 2% cash back on all of my purchases. It seems that only domestic US credit cards offer this feature but if anyone knows of other countries that offer this please let me know. So, 2% + 2% = 4%. That is what I am loosing in having to pay using a Thai bank. All of groceries, fuel, shopping are paid with my Capital One. Only Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Card offers 3% cash back for restaurants so I pull out that card when eating out!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In my recent hiccup with electronic payment and Lazada, long story very short, LAZADA had a software issue, it was entirely down to their processing as confirmed by Kasikorn Bank. Tried two days later, no issue !

I seriously doubt ANY conspiracy etc, simply a tech issue and nothing more.

This issue is been going on since my wife's birthday on October 20th when I tried to buy her a new phone. We finally received the new phone only because I had to pay using Thai Baht with my Bangkok Bank mobile app. Lost 4%????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

However COD solved all those problems, every time.

Like I said, if you're home to accept the item fine. 

I have a life, always out and about. 

BTW, I mentioned credit card, payment, I always pay using my credit card, this is so important. Lots of Dodgy sellers on lazada, advertising items that are fake or sending you a different item to that what you ordered.

You have protection when paying through your credit card. 

Back in the day lazada offered an email support for complaints, now they have that BOT, stupid and bloody frustrating. 

Now if I have an issue, straight to my bank, fill out the forms and money is returned. 

Creditcard payment everytime for me 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ifmu said:

sounds like verified visa or your bank has changed their system    .. happened to me with my credit union 

work it out with your bank  .. at least that is the starting point 

I tried a conference call with Lazada and Capitol One a few days ago. Capitol One told Lazada that there were no attempts to use my card despite having made three attemps to purchase about one hour earlier. Lazada was on the phone with me when I did the purchasing attempt. I am pretty sure the issue is with the biling address on Lazada being in Thailand (no choice about that) and when Kasikorn software must pick up the discrepancy between the billing addresses and shuts down the purchase before it hits Capital One bank. I think that this will be a dead end for me with Lazada. I will have to use Amazon (more expensive) or Ali-express (slower and less easy to use). Too bad for Lazada, loosing customers for no good reason!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I buy stuff on Lazada via bank transfer from my Bangkok Bank account. No need to use a Thai credit or debit card! 

Same here. Worked well the last 250 times.

All of my retirement income is DD to Bkk bank, no fees on tne US end. When setting it up the fees from  Bkk bank were much less than Wise. Maybe time to check again, though the convenience is of value.

Edited by Kwaibill