Will my Bangkok Bank ATM Card Work in ATMs Overseas?

Just now, Danderman123 said:

I plan to go to countries that either don’t have Omicron yet, or where it has passed.

Your BBL card will work overseas but where will you get that unavailable C19 information?!  There are no countries that have claimed to have had C19 "pass" and not return...Covid doesn't need visas.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

You see, Covid comes in what they call “waves”. Typically, these waves hit large cities first and then disperse into the countryside. So, I am planning my travel accordingly.

Assuming that my RT-PCR test isn’t positive.

Don't think that Fauci needs to worry about his job!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

I plan to go to countries that either don’t have Omicron yet, or where it has passed.

i am in Pattaya now, and everyone has it, I can’t go anywhere safe.

Just my view - but I think there's a flaw in your thinking?

Omicron spreads like colds and flu, so eventually (almost) everyone will get it.  If there's currently high case numbers in Pattaya, then it must be close to herd immunity, and so soon it may be the safest place to be.

Anywhere with no cases (but I don't know anywhere like this, except maybe China), will be the next location for the Omicron wave.

Also - with different testing rates and reporting criteria, plus political interference, it's almost impossible to say where is 'safe'.

But your bank card will work, though you may need to try a few ATM's first.  I find the airport ATM's, plus the fee-charging universal ATM's in convenience stores to be the best bet, and the ATM's in banks to be the least effective.  But be careful to keep the PIN code hidden in the shop ATM's. 

Also, after using it a few times overseas, it may trigger the security controls, so may stop working.  So make sure you have your banks full phone number for overseas calls.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it works in many countries. When I wanted to use it before, I went in to a Bangkok Bank branch and asked, because they have a list that tells where it works. They also told me the list is online, but never found it.

35 minutes ago, fangless said:

What type of BKK card do you have? Credit/debit/Mastercard/Visa/Union Pay or another type of BKK Card and what type of account is it attached to?

They all have different capabilities!

It’s a Mastercard, attached to a savings account.

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It’s a Mastercard, attached to a savings account.

Which means if the ATM anywhere shows the Mastercard Logo it should work OK!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You see, Covid comes in what they call “waves”. Typically, these waves hit large cities first and then disperse into the countryside. So, I am planning my travel accordingly.

Assuming that my RT-PCR test isn’t positive.

You're kidding, are you?

I like the idea to use airports and airplanes to flee from one place to the other ????

8 hours ago, fangless said:

What type of BKK card do you have? Credit/debit/Mastercard/Visa/Union Pay or another type of BKK Card and what type of account is it attached to?

They all have different capabilities!

Exactly.  And on top of that, you have to make sure the international PIN is activated too.  I travel between Taiwan and Thailand and my Taiwan account requires a 6 digit pin (all banks there do). But when overseas it's a 4 digit PIN so I always make sure it's up to date before leaving for anywhere from Taiwan.  

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

i am in Pattaya now, and everyone has it, I can’t go anywhere safe.

My mate lives in Pattaya and he doesn't have it. 

How do you plan to return here as its a right farce now? Sandbox or what? 

12 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

It should ya, and I've read multiple reports of people who have done so but you'll pay a fee of course. Wouldn't hurt to let the bank know you'll be traveling outside Thailand and using it incase they think it's fraud.

oh yes this above is necessary      also get in touch with verified by visa 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unfortunately BKB Mastercard uses the TPN network, which is a bit hit and miss.

It's not a real Mastercard.

Please explain that comment;

This is from BKK

Bangkok Bank Executive Vice President and Credit Card Division Manager Shoke Na Ranong said the card can be used to pay at shops with the TPN symbol, those in the Mastercard network, and also for online purchases, both domestically and internationally.